• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
I Hate Being In Pain, So It's All Points Into Defense (Manga) #12 part 2

Game design 101:
1. Don't put a monster in front of a player unless you want it defeated
2. Do not assume a high enough difficulty level is equivalent to plot armor
3. Do not put rare items behind a high difficulty monster in the hopes that it becomes schmuck bait
4. Never underestimate even the most amatuer of players

So now we get a shot of the game's admins as Maple and Sally have apparently broke the game again, by successfully duo'ing a raid boss with an ability no other player has. To be fair, Maple almost actually died this time, so their nerfs are sticking; too bad for that large shield ability eh? :D

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Sengoku Komach Kurotan (Manga) #11

Shizuko basically can't tell that she's being spied on by her own lord. Still, at least she has enough sense to take her position seriously, now that Nobunaga seems to be having a city built around her from the ground up.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sengoku Komach Kurotan (Manga) #11

Shizuko basically can't tell that she's being spied on by her own lord. Still, at least she has enough sense to take her position seriously, now that Nobunaga seems to be having a city built around her from the ground up.
While I'm prepare to accept that it may have been added for, well, other reasons, the manga making a point of the fact that she's growing up makes me wonder if she's going to have a marriage pushed at her soon. Her lord isn't stupid and she'd one of his most valuable vassals.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
While I'm prepare to accept that it may have been added for, well, other reasons, the manga making a point of the fact that she's growing up makes me wonder if she's going to have a marriage pushed at her soon. Her lord isn't stupid and she'd one of his most valuable vassals.
I don't think Nobunaga would try to push marriage for now. If you remember the role of women in medieval Japan, the last thing he needs is an asset busy with something else when she is needed the most.

Shizuko should be high school age at the start of the story and by the time of this chapter should already have been in the past a couple of years. If Nobunaga wanted to marry her off he'd have broached the topic by now.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was reading the latest 'A Certain magical/scientific...' spinoff, Astral Buddy, and it got me thinking- Just how big is Academy City and what percentage of it is corrupt research labs and scientists?

Because there's three spinoffs dealing almost entirely with all these projects!

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
I was reading the latest 'A Certain magical/scientific...' spinoff, Astral Buddy, and it got me thinking- Just how big is Academy City and what percentage of it is corrupt research labs and scientists?

Because there's three spinoffs dealing almost entirely with all these projects!
Isn't it effectively 100% corrupt? The foundation of it all, the program to give young people Esper powers, is pretty dodgy... human experimentation without much of an idea what will develop from it.

And size-wise, the city is 2.3 million people (or has 2.3 million students) and covers a third of Tokyo.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Isn't it effectively 100% corrupt? The foundation of it all, the program to give young people Esper powers, is pretty dodgy... human experimentation without much of an idea what will develop from it.

And size-wise, the city is 2.3 million people (or has 2.3 million students) and covers a third of Tokyo.
There's a lot of corrupt, but still, I think most scientists are fine with just trying to make espers, we see a number of doctors confidentially keep experiment-related damage a secret and help people, Anti-Skill tends to be on the side of light, etc.. It's not like there's institutional corruption everywhere, just... a lot of corrupt projects. The reference to it having two sides are common, like there's two sets of organizations, though with a fair number of higher ups being in both and I'm sure the light is used as a recruiting place for the dark, plus a number of projects seem to shift from one to the other when the heads go too far. Hm, maybe it could be said that things are set up so that a lot of projects will eventually cross lines and doing so is part of the leadership's plans, but don't necessarily start there.

Size-wise, with Tokyo they could have people involved who commute....

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
As we can see from the couple of times Touma had to go through immigration, Academy City is a walled city that's essentially it's own nation within Japan. You'd probably have to go through the same procedures as crossing the border to Canada or Mexico from the States, or entering Vatican City from Italty, or crossing the Causeway between Singapore and Malaysia, or taking the train to Shenzen from Hong Kong.

IIRC residents of Academy City need a bloody visa to exit, ostensibly because this isn't Irregular At Magician's High Japan - the Academy City scientists need their experimental subjects^H^H students in one place. Outsiders are allowed to drop in on a tourist/visitor basis but are specifically not allowed to live in the city, or Mikoto's parents would be living with her and would have actively tried to stop the Level 6 experiment before it even begun. Touma is an exception, but then again, he is a worthless level 0 so he's expendable, and he unwittingly has a lot of underground connections. Like his own classmate, the only mage/psychic combo in the world. :D

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hm, so not much commuting. Seems like there’s likely hundreds of thousands of scientists, of which it seems safe to say tens of thousands are involved in some corrupt or ethics breaking project.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
and once again, I find a funny but short manga just as it ends, this time being "Torako, don't break everything!"

series pitch is that in the roughest, underfunded high school/central casting for every street tough, delinquent and hooligan, we have torako, the mild-mannered underconfident schoolgirl who just wants to make friends, but has genuinely superhuman strength, so the only club she can join is the one populated by the quirky tough girls she unwittingly crosses over the first four chapters

Top Bottom