• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Interesting looking back on early part of Sleepy Princess when they didn't have her talk.... at all? Paints her more as a force of chaos, when they felt that had ran its course and started having her talk to let her have more complex relationships with the demons it also turns her more into an impish, trickster being of chaos rather then a force of nature. i hope this and the Komi-san volumes are able to have the crossovers they did with one another.
She does seem to grow more trickstery once she begins to recognize the demons as beings with personalities. Well, some of the demons.

On a similar note, the manga Satan’s Secretary has very similar energy. It’s about a demon lord, Satan, who kidnaps a secretary in order to gain intel on how to beat humanity. She is both ok with that and immediately sets out to make sure things are done efficiently.

The secretary is Law to Syalis’s Chaos.

NathanS

Validated User
Bit of a warning for Satan’s Secretary though for those that might be curious, early on it plays implied off screen rape for comedy. If any amount of that is enough to put you off just a heads up.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hime-sama, "Goumon" no Jikan desu/It's Time For "Interrogation", Princess! is closer to the tone of Sleepy Princess. A fighting princess is captured by the demons and interrogated by the demons to learn the plans of the humans. But the interrogations are all very fluffy, and even when they get useful information out of her, the Demons are too nice to make effective use of it. And the Princess' intelligent holy sword is there with her proving commentary (or, in one chapter, getting "interrogated" itself).

Demon Secretary was too squirky for me.

CaButler

Validated User
Seems like I've been reading a lot of romance stuff lately, so the latest selection is called Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman. It's about a below-average guy, who's not quite an otaku but low on the social ladder, and how he hooks up with this garyu girl.

Wait, come back! It's not what you think! Okay, maybe it is, but hear me out.

In this world, for whatever reason, Japanese Students in their third year spend that time living with another student, usually of the opposite sex, to simulate the life of a married couple. Jirou, our hapless lead, is in love with his childhood friend, who may have the same affection for him. Of course, while he hopes to be paired up with her, he knows the odds are rather low.

And wouldn't you know it, he gets paired up with Akari, a garyu girl who is actually in love with one of the more popular male students in the school. Neither are happy they have to spend the year together playing the married couple, but they have to go through it because if they don't get a good score, they don't graduate. Don't ask me why they did this, as it was never explained.

But there's actually a bit of a twist with the way the process works. If a couple scores in the top ten, they have the option to switch partners with another within that same group. With this goal, Jirou and Akari look to work together, to get this to work, so they can try to hook up with the people they want to be with. Of course, you spend enough time with somebody, and your feelings for them may change, so now, while still working towards their goal, their resolve begins to waver.

It's an odd concept, but whatever works, right? And it's not like they can drag the series on forever since this can only take place in an year, and the clock is still moving slowly. Of course, it's weird that a school would make this a graduate requirement, and while it didn't seem like they forbid sexual activity, they did give the students separate rooms, so it's likely the case there. Oh, and the rooms are coded to the owners respective fingerprints, so nothing bad can happen there.

That being said, the series is a bit heavy on fanservice, though it's mostly with Akari, but there's no nudity. And it does seem rather lighthearted, though I'm still waiting for the twist that the popular guy is actually an evil bastard (though from the way things are going, it doesn't look like the author will go that route). The artwork is rather pretty, though, and the characters themselves are growing, but I fully expect Jirou and Akari to hook up at the end, because that's what the cliche demands!

prototype00

Validated User
Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Duranki
is the newest manga from Kentaro Miura (He of Berserk acclaim), and it is a mythological story of a divinely created child, neither man nor god, neither male nor female, but one who stands in the chasm between heaven and earth.

They named him 𒁔𒃲 - Usumgallu.

And it's basically like crack for mythology buffs. Its a mix of Sumerian and Greek deities that I've seen so far. The winged figure attending Usumgallu's birth is Hermes Trismegistus of course (he even pulls out Caduceus later on to lull our young hemaphrodite protagonist to sleep).

Its super charming, and the art is gorgeous (anyone know who the serpent god and the horned female are?), and the only thing I'm worried about is it might get grimdark as Berserk later on, and thats not what I want at all!

Well, we'll see, I'm hooked already.

prototype00

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Saw a new isekai LN in the bookstore- Reincarnated as a Polar Bear. Anyone know it? Protag becomes a bear, is protector of six werewolf sisters, that's about all I know.

Woof Woof Story, wherein a businessman wants to be reincarnated as a pampered puppy and instead gets reincarnated as Fenrir... but still trying to be a pampered puppy is fun light fair.

Gun Gale Online Alternate vol 4 is just the first part of it's squad jam, but it has some good duels between non-main characters.
Spoiler: Show
One cool part is when the sponsor of the first game gets team killed because it turns out his publisher has an assassin on-staff to PK authors and mangaka who get too wrapped up in online games.

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
I just remembered that the Houkago Saikoro Club anime is airing next season, so I started reading the manga again (I'm not even through the second tank out of like 11 or something).

I just hit the Catan chapter, and in proper board game fashion it involved two grown men losing their shit and screaming at each other, each trying to blame the other for letting the third player win.

MABfan11

Validated User
I just remembered that the Houkago Saikoro Club anime is airing next season, so I started reading the manga again (I'm not even through the second tank out of like 11 or something).

I just hit the Catan chapter, and in proper board game fashion it involved two grown men losing their shit and screaming at each other, each trying to blame the other for letting the third player win.
an anime about board games? maybe i should check it out, since i have seen A Sister's All You Need, which also featured board games quite prominently (and also one hell of an opening sequence)

Top Bottom