• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Kreuzritter

Validated User
I Imagine there was also a share "Best girl was robbed and was a way better character than Main Girl"

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And then of course it became a Thing and people writing those now are to no small extent influenced by previous web-novels with the same premise.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
To the extent that some start by having the main character bemoan what a cliched situation she's found herself in.

Dzhay

Trust a flumph.
Validated User
AFAIK it's an entire sub-genre of otome games, not one game or game series in particular. If there was a Dragon Quest sized monolith shaping things I think I'd have heard of it. Instead I suspect these otome games are like the American romance novel sub-genre where the tropes are heavily codified and repeated. Which is why there are so many amateur authors saying, "Wait a minute, are these heroines breaking up engagements really that good, and for that matter don't the villains get too raw a deal for what are honestly pretty minor crimes?"
I'd believe this but:
  • Said villainess is particularly the daughter of a duke
  • in a psuedo-historical psuedo-euorpean setting with some mild fantasy elements that only come into play very rarely
  • who is engaged to a blond prince
  • who leaves her for a notably short, mousy girl of comparatively low birth
  • in a dramatic scene where the villainess is publicly shamed for her behavior and stripped of (some) of her status.
  • The villainess is a tall, skinny woman with strong eyebrow game
  • and always wears that same blue-and-white dress

Shay Guy

Validated User
Instead I suspect these otome games are like the American romance novel sub-genre where the tropes are heavily codified and repeated.
Even in a memetic slurry like that I'm pretty sure an expert can trace lines of evolution.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Even in a memetic slurry like that I'm pretty sure an expert can trace lines of evolution.
Oh, sure, but I have yet to encounter an expert on Otome Romance Video Games to do that for me. It's hard enough to pick up stray nuggets of cultural info, like "Alice in Wonderland is very popular and widely known in Japan" or "The age of consent is lowered in a 'sincere romantic relationship' that's been parentally approved, which is why teenage couples are always so flustered when the boy meets the girl's mother and she makes a show of saying she approves of him dating her daughter." If you know of any English language source talking about the Otome game genre with any degree of real knowledge, please share with us.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There seem to be 4 main forms: Villainess Rejects Her Bad End, Villainess Suffers Her Bad End and Keeps Living, Villainess Embraces Her Bad End, and Villainess' Hanger On Tries to Avoid Her Bad End.

Some of them transcend their roots, by having the Otome Game that the MC gets reincarnated into not just be a Romance game.

In particular, the game in Shini Yasui Kōshaku Reijō to Shichi-nin no Kikōshi (Duke's Daughter Who is Liable to Die and the Seven Nobles) is Romance x Horror x Mystery, and the MC has work intelligently to avoid all of her potential death routes and doesn't really get involved with the romance side of the game (other than having to resolve the various love interests' issues in order to not end up dead, and winding up recruiting them to help her, mostly as friends).

I Favor the Villainess is another one (in this, the MC is reincarnated as the Heroine, but pursues the Villainess, not the official love interests). It starts as fluffy yuri romance, and ends up in revolutionary politics and intrigue, with the MC trying use her game knowledge to ensure that the Villainess survives the revolution.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I've not come across any English translated Otome games that match the LN tropes. The 3DS has one with the Shinsengumi for example.

Top Bottom