• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Currently reading: Gun Gale Online Alternate vol 3- This is just a really fun series. Makes GGO come across as an enjoyable game and the characters are entertainingly fun.

and Log Horizon vol 2 (which I'm not done with but much of the way through)- I like the events and when they do stuff, but some of the character stuff bugs me. Not the perv this time, but Shirou spends a big chunk of the middle of the book going on about how everyone is bad for letting the state of the game get the way it is and he's bad both for not doing more and being so presumptuous as to push his will on others and no-one should've thanked him for his actions in vol 1... does he get into these sad-sop modes often? Some of the other characters go in a depressive 'the strong rule over the weak in any world' too.

LH continues to hover on the edge with me. I'm going to finish this volume at the least, and I actively like the world and the West Wind Brigade spinoff, but different character things keep giving me pause.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was introduced to a new (manga) isekai series, Kage no Jitsuryokusha / The Eminence in Shadow. Our Isekai hero is a chuunibyou with an obsession for the shadowy mastermind/ninja master archetype, and after (of course) getting hit by the truck, ends up in a fantasy world and starts playing out his fantasies.

He rescues a sick elf girl from bandits, and to inspire her makes up a story about how her sickness is because the ancient demon lord cursed the heroes that stopped him and so their descendants grow sick. His sister goes missing, and he tells his now devoted elf follower and friends that a cult devoted to reviving the demon lord kidnapped her and makes up a location for a secret base to send them to rescue her.
Spoiler: Show
He is, of course, inexplicably right about everything, not that he realizes it. He thinks his spies coming back with increasingly detailed information on the cult is just them playing along. Or else his Isekai cheat is to make all his chuunibyou fantasies come true.

Only two chapters so far, but it's funnier than the premise has any right to be. I have no idea how long they can keep the premise amusing, though, as it seems a bit of a one-shot joke.

Last edited:

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd believe this but:
  • Said villainess is particularly the daughter of a duke
  • in a psuedo-historical psuedo-euorpean setting with some mild fantasy elements that only come into play very rarely
  • who is engaged to a blond prince
  • who leaves her for a notably short, mousy girl of comparatively low birth
  • in a dramatic scene where the villainess is publicly shamed for her behavior and stripped of (some) of her status.
  • The villainess is a tall, skinny woman with strong eyebrow game
  • and always wears that same blue-and-white dress
These tropes dates back from shoujo manga of the sixties and seventies. Not familiar with its evolution via the otome game genre, but there is some. The old shoujo manga villainesses are more wide ranging. The duke's daughter is just as easily the heir of a zaibatsu, or a princess, or the campus queen. The blonde hair ia just as often a traditional jet black hime cut. But the main character is always an archetype that the girl reader of the shoujo manga can identify with.

SelectiveHonesty

Validated User
Re: Kage no Jitsuryokusha / The Eminence in Shadow.
It's not the second one but there is a reason he knows this stuff, want it spoiled?

Icarium

Validated User
Huh. Kage no Jitsuryokusha reminds me of the Reborn as a Genius LN, though the protagonist in Kage actually knows he's got talent.

But in both the protagonist finds people taking what they say as gospel and humorously it /works/. In Kage it's his Chuuni story, in Genius it's science stuff. :)

E.K.K.R

Validated User
We can't study 102

Wait, what? What the hell did Kirisu-sensei mean by that. It can't be...

Shay Guy

Validated User
These tropes dates back from shoujo manga of the sixties and seventies. Not familiar with its evolution via the otome game genre, but there is some. The old shoujo manga villainesses are more wide ranging. The duke's daughter is just as easily the heir of a zaibatsu, or a princess, or the campus queen. The blonde hair ia just as often a traditional jet black hime cut. But the main character is always an archetype that the girl reader of the shoujo manga can identify with.
Worth noting that one of the most popular of these stories (though not the first) uses a shoujo manga as its setting, rather than an otome game.

Unseenlibrarian

Definitely NOT a Monkey.
Validated User
Worth noting that one of the most popular of these stories (though not the first) uses a shoujo manga as its setting, rather than an otome game.
If it's the one I'm thinking of it's also notable for not having -any- supernatural elements at all. It's just a straight up romcom.

acksed

Validated User
We Can't Study 102: In this chapter, Kirisu-sensei learns that some things are not straight-up binary win/lose scenarios - and is trolled with the Wedding March.

Top Bottom