I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

advertise with rpgnet

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Destroy All Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated. #4

...I'm frankly surprised our man fell for that one. Come on, Lightning Bolt is in standard isn't it, shouldn't he already know how Interrupts work?

In any case, we're still quite a ways from the Weatherlight expansion, but I see people are trying to make the ship sail. Next will be that bit where they actually go to a tourney location over the hols!

...I wonder if their relationship will survive combo winter. :X

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User

...I'm frankly surprised our man fell for that one. Come on, Lightning Bolt is in standard isn't it, shouldn't he already know how Interrupts work?

In any case, we're still quite a ways from the Weatherlight expansion, but I see people are trying to make the ship sail. Next will be that bit where they actually go to a tourney location over the hols!

Finally reading this, and while it's really good as is and I know this is silly, but I'm gonna be on tenterhooks waiting for the Magic-flavored Nostrapocalypse to actually happen. :p

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Is this another Magic-based manga like Wizard's Soul?

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Is this another Magic-based manga like Wizard's Soul?
Yeah, only this one uses actual magic cards and makes references to actual meta! It's set in the mid-late 90s when the rulesets were quite a bit more complicated and control in card designs was just a tad over rudimentary (...I still do not support the removal of poking from Blue :X). It's almost as if this manga is backed by Wizards themselves.

Wait, there's a third Magic manga?!
Wizards Soul has been making the rounds in the previous Manga threads (and is long completed by now), but it doesn't use Magic per se, rather it uses an analogue that doesn't exist, but with a similar playstyle. It's good stuff but only if you're into Tragic: The Garnering. :3

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Yeah, only this one uses actual magic cards and makes references to actual meta! It's set in the mid-late 90s when the rulesets were quite a bit more complicated and control in card designs was just a tad over rudimentary (...I still do not support the removal of poking from Blue :X). It's almost as if this manga is backed by Wizards themselves.
It is, you can see the licensing notes.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
What's the second one? :)
The first one, as mentioned upthread, was MtG: Duel Masters, which was eventually rewritten to use its own card game because WotC didn't want an anime about people playing Magic. :D

And if this Wizards Soul thing is faux-Magic to start with, that makes Destroy All Humanity the second.

Law Orc

Concerned Citizen
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wizard's Soul isn't, technically, MtG. But it's close enough that you can say "and then after the first match the protagonist sideboarded in stuff to make her Dimir control deck into more of a mill deck."

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
...I wonder if Destroy will actually reference Duel Masters. It would have started serialization in either '98 or '99. (Checking, the manga switched to the DM game after volume 6.)

Top Bottom