I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

acksed

Validated User
Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake 144: This was really sweet. But how hard do they work?!

Nana to Kaoru SM Gokku 2: Tachi! Ahh, I have missed her. As well as Nana's growing fascination with equipment. Put 'em together... well.
Spoiler: Show
You get a compromising position for Kaoru to walk in on... and begin lecturing about safety.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
In the The Devil is a Part-Timer! LN a character called Gabriel used some words I didn't understand and had to look up like phenom and no más. I got the impression that those words are slang and I am wondering if it was just words I failed to understand or if the translators were trying to convey some sort of identity or character trope that exists in the Japanese text? If that's the case then I've failed to understand that as well.

Icarium

Validated User
So. Those who were disappointed the translator stopped translating Ascendance of a Bookworm?

Rejoice.

Apparently, Sam from JNC mentioned that one of the three hints he gave out today was referring to Ascendance of a Bookworm.

So JNC will be translating it! I'm thrilled.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Well, Hatsukoi Zombie is moving into the endgame, and... y'know, I guess there's some logic to the Big Twist, but I'm not sure it works on an emotional level. Not when someone you invite the readers to think of as a person turns out to be... well, not so much.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Zimmermit.moe has an article up on Jimbocho - the place you go when instead of picking up anime and manga stuff, you want to pick up a whole bunch of books. I kind of admit, while I don't read a word of Japanese in any alphabet, I'd be tempted to just go in there, peruse the SF section and look at the covers, because Japanese SF book covers are pretty fun.

For example, here's the Japanese cover of the second half of A Clash of Kings, featuring Sansa Stark on the cover. (Sblocked for size, not content)

Spoiler: Show

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Japanese covers of non-Japanese books is something of an obsession of mine...

Spoiler in case you have some plugin installed that automatically embeds linked images, since some of these are not safe for work (nothing obscene, just typical Leiji Matsumoto "hazy naked woman floating in space" stuff):

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
I take it that's a new edition of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe? (I'm guessing to capitalize on the Isekai boom?)

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Yeah, it just came out a year or two ago, though I doubt it really has anything to do with "the isekai boom." It's not like it wasn't popular before that.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Yeah, it just came out a year or two ago, though I doubt it really has anything to do with "the isekai boom." It's not like it wasn't popular before that.
Fair enough. I do kind of wonder what the Japanese cover of the Neverending Story looks like now though. I know the US version is deliberately minimalist and (presumably like the European cover) designed to evoke the cover of the book within the book, and I wonder if the Japanese version is the same way.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I take it that's a new edition of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe? (I'm guessing to capitalize on the Isekai boom?)
I don't know any other C. S. Ruisu writing about magical lions in winter, so I guess so!

(The author's name is rendered in an odd mix of romaji and katakana. Is that common?)

Seriously, I dig the crown of thorns motif they've got on Aslan there. That's completely unnecessary and completely perfect. For anyone who might occasionally think that Japanese illustrators are just there to add cute inserts to books, I think this is a demonstration that someone is working really, really hard to get as much meaning into the visuals as humanly possible.

Top Bottom