• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IC]Lancer: Planet of the Monsters

Graograman

Life on the oncoming lane
Validated User
Secrets

Kingsley attempts to land a couple of solid hits on the nearest Karrakins, but the dance to dogde the incoming shots as well as to avoid colliding with the loyal officers make this awkward and none of his blows connect. He does provide a wonderful distraction, though, which Abigail capitalizes by seizing the neares mag pistol and shooting the next Karrakin with NHP precision, and then another, and another, and another until there are no more traitors standing and the only sounds coming from the room are the sparks of damaged equipment and the soft moans of the wounded.

Jones' PMs, augmented by the jockeys and their backup squad, appear 10 minutes later, when some semblance of order has been restored to the room. The traitors - the living ones, that is - are taken into custody and an official inquiry beings as to their actions prior to the mutiny, and shortly after their quarters are being searched, interrogations are conducted and evidence is gathered. You don't need some sort of clairvoyance to know what will happen to them.
OOC:
That's... 13 bad guys down in one shot! :eek:

As an aside, I think we can pretty much close this mission here. Gain one rank.

Given your finding of the functional beacon, we can either do another mission to get more live specimens, or you can spend your downtime actions to replicate the beacon and use it as a lure for the big bad.
 

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Given your finding of the functional beacon, we can either do another mission to get more live specimens, or you can spend your downtime actions to replicate the beacon and use it as a lure for the big bad.
OOC: I'll take that second one. This is exactly the sort of thing Abigail would be doing anyway. Now that she has an idea of how it's done, it's really only a matter of how many vultures she has to kill before she gets it right.

Performing MAD ZIENCE!: 1d20+2+2d6k1 13

That'll do.
 

Graograman

Life on the oncoming lane
Validated User
Showdown

The days that follow the trial are, perhaps understandably, fraught with disarray and chaos. The Union Rep conducts the entire business in the most rigorous, thorough and brutal fashion possible.
Long, detailed interrogations are performed, until every secret, every idle thought, every sin is uncovered, and then mercilessly measured and judged. As to be expected, it soon becomes clear that the infiltration and corruption performed by the Karrakin runs deep, and so the excision is, by it's very nature, painful and necessary.

Abigail takes advantage of the downtime to analyze the beacon, though her work proves to be complicated. While the design is, in theory, simple, the execution proves to be a frustrating affair, as the complexity of the vulture's neural network makes it hard to duplicate with other specimens. In the end, she has to admit to herself that the work itself is impossible to replicate without further investigation into the creature's cerebral structure.
However, since the beacon itself is intact, Abigail gets the notion that, while replication is not possible, she can route the signal through the Chimeran's tanks, thus making it seems the signal is being emitted by numerous beings instead of only one. Since the signal is merely being copied, it probably won't fool the Mothers a second time - but once should be enough.

Harvey joins the front lines along with two full Chimeran platoons, as they reach further and further into enemy lines, intent on sabotaging their various staging grounds - tactics at which the Chimerans prove incredibly adept.
Using his mech as heavy support, the forays are wildly successfull, dramatically reducing the frequency and strength of the attacks upon the colony and giving a much-deserved respite to the belegueared defenders. By the time the trial closes to and end, the troops are almost back to full strength, while the Chimeran's troops have suffered only minimal losses.

Kingsley remains suspicious of the Karrakin, so he doubles back to their barracks and spends an entire week digging feverishly through their comms, personal implants, command interfaces and every possible piece of tech they might conceivable laid their hands on. The first days it seems the task is a fruitless one, until almost at the end of the week his fears prove true - the Karrakin have cleverly hidden numerous ghost processes through the entire infostructure of the colony, with a running timer. Left alone, they'd have brought down and corrupted the entire comms network - thus ensuring all traces of their trial were deleted, as well as dooming the entire colonly to extinction at the enemy's claws.
This, of course, is used a further evidence in the trial, ensuring that they'd leave stasis only a few years after the heat death of the universe - if they're lucky.

It's a week later, and while repairing the damage done to the command chain by the Karrakin is ongoing, Colonel Jones decides that it's time to move to the next phase of their attack plan.

"Before we get the ball rolling, I want to re-state the outstanding job you've done dealing with the Karrakin. The Rep tells me there's still a lot to be done, but the veredict is final, and once the Blink Gate is up and running, I'm sure the rest of the clan will get a very unpleasant wake up call.
Moving onto other important matters, while we've got a few weeks of peace, the threat is undiminished. I've heard reports that Captain Abigail has made some progress towards luring the next Kaiju out in the open, but I'm not clear on the details. I believe it best to discuss now how exactly are we going to tackle this one. So, what do you plan to do, and how?"


OOC:
OOC:
Now's the time to plan how do you want to tackle the next mission. You're aware that amplifying the signal with the Chimeran's chamber will definitively lure out the next Kaiju, but it could also lure more than one.
 

talam

Smile, smile!
Validated User
"We'll need to find a location with good choke points for one," Kingsley said, looking over a map of their surroundings. "Some place that we can keep the numbers we need to engage under control and maximizes our firepower."

"We should also set up traps, mines and so on. But they can't be remote mines or else the Kaiju might sense them. They'll have to be dumb and pressure activated, maybe even made from plastic."
 

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
"Assuming the enemy will engage in such a place, yes. I suggest we work closely with the Chimeran guerillas - they have a much better grasp of the enemy's psychology and have been sneaking up on them for years. They also have rather impressive weapons" Abigail replays the memory over their tac-net.

Carefully, she stretches until she can pick the arrow by the shaft, and shows it to Abigail, pointing the tip - you can see she's careful not to touch it. "Poson" she carefully enunciates. She stabs the bugrilla figure with the arrow. Almost immediately the plastic begins to turn silver and melt. In a few seconds, all that's left of the figure is a metallic puddle on the floor.
"I'm still not sure what that is, but a pit packed with "poisoned" spikes would be just as deadly as a mine. Maybe we could fill glass mines with it if you like, but that seems like gilding the lily."
 

Ominous presence

Registered User
Validated User
"Given our recent string of successes, I have little doubt the Chimerans will be willing to help. In addition to assisting with the ambush, I 'd be happy to have them watching the surrounding area the battlefield as well. This particular Kaiju has proven cautious enough to lead me to believe that when it does reveal itself, it won't do so without contingencies."
 

Graograman

Life on the oncoming lane
Validated User
Showdown

Threebee chuckles at the mention of the poison.
"That we can do easily. Arrows too. Any weapon that is not too fast and it is not made of plastics... po-lymers, maybe?. Our scouts will gladly take over recon duties and bring in poisoned weapons for the smaller creatures. Larger ones, like Kaijus, require much bigger doses - bigger than anything we can comfortably handle."
Jones nods appreciatively at Threebee's suggestion.
"We'd be glad to have some support on your side, Threebee. Onto the location, I'm going to assume they'll attack wherever we set the beacon? or did you have a location in mind? Because if - as you suggest - we use the tanks to boost the signal, I actually think the ruins of the city can be converted into a nice, defensible bastion. Slap some deployable covers to shore up the ruins, deploy hunter teams on rooftops with smart weapons, and we can make judicious use of SAWs all over the place. The surrounding area would be a nice killing ground... I like it."
Threebee shows her agreement with a hopeful smile.
"Now, this is most likely going to be a long sloug, given the numbers this Kaiju has thrown against us, so the chief will set up field repair kits to keep your mechs running for as long as we can, as long as we have the manpower and resources to keep them up. In terms of equipment and manpower, what do you need?"


OOC:
For the sake of simplicity, you can request any of the following:
Heavy Infantry: 15HP, Armor 1, 3 attacks, 3 kinetic damage, range 10
Mechanized infantry: 18HP, Armor 2, 3 attacks, 4 explosive damage, range 12, blast 2
Repair drone: 20HP, Armor 3, 10 repair actions
Scout team: 15HP, Armor 0, 3 attacks, 3AP energy damage, range 10
OOC:
OOC:

You can request a maximum of 5 per each unit, but every unit you request will be one less to defend the city. You'll have to give the orders to each of the units but I'll do the rolls
 

Graograman

Life on the oncoming lane
Validated User
Showdown

Another week passes in a flurry of activity, as legions of combat engineers and Chimerans work double time to fortify the edges of the city and prepare for the upcoming siege. Abigail and Harvey work to hook up the beacon to the underground lab while Kingsley supervises the weapon emplacements - it's odd to see rows of bows and arrows alongside caseless rifles, beam platforms and smart missiles. The base of every buiding is covered in poisoned, wooden spikes while armed drones patrol the outskirts of the city.
By the seventh day, the city is as ready as it'll ever be, and you activate the beacon with fingers crossed.

Results don't take long, and barely an hour has when command begins updating the telemmetry - the Kaijus are moving in force, and they're coming right towards the city.

As agreed, you'll meet the vanguard of the creatures some 10 kilometers away from the city, to blunt their initial attack and delay them as much as you can while inflicting as many losses as possible. As soon as the brood mother appears, the relief column will engage with the enemy while the scoutship extracts you and takes you to the brood mother.

OOC:
I've had a bit of a hard time finding some good ruins tilesets, but hopefully I'll have them ready by the time the fight approaches the city. Also, I'll replace the generic-looking icons with fleshed out ones as soon as I can.
That being said, here's the map:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Q9POBmJo2cIIDtHd8tqHM7uRWepNlHOBEfBvoNoUuVI/edit?usp=sharing
Starting position is inside the green border, you can place the soliders and drones as you like.
The river provides partial cover for up to size 2 units.
There are also five 4x4 spike pits, I'll let you place those wherever you think best. The edge of the city lies to the right of the map.
 

Graograman

Life on the oncoming lane
Validated User
Showdown, Turn 1

You're well entrenched by the time the vanguard reaches the outskirts of the city. As usual, a wave of vultures precedes what it looks like a recon force: Two of the big creatures that act as jammers, a couple of swarms of drones and four tough-looking, multi-legged brutes which appear to be drooling the standard flesh-eating acid these things usually tote around.

OOC:
As usual, first turn is yours. If you hit a vulture, remove it from the map (they only have 1HP). Also, specify which targets you want the troops to attack.
 

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Adrastia gestures with a spindly hand, fingers twitching as Abigail taps a touch-screen. This new creation is a cold and impersonal thing, guided more than piloted.

On the HUD, coordinates blink into being, six sets.

"Mechanized, fire for effect; sweep the horizon!"

"Petitioner-Wielder Delacroix, point me toward the enemy you wish to annihilate."

A "webber" bristles with a great many targeting indicators as Adrastia's..Head? swivels into position.



OOC: Mechanized moves up and fires at the indicated positions.

Blast 3 ATHENA protocol centered on the grey cloud, which should give me a read on the HP of a webber and a spiner, plus deny cover to the two vultures that are in it.

Hunter Locking Webber 2, giving it my Exemplar mark, and firing.

Dakkadakka@Webber 2: 3#1d20+2d6k1+2 8 13 17 Hits, I assume?

BOOM@Webber 2: 1d20+2-1d6k1 21

Pity that crits don't do much for a weapon with fixed damage, such as autocannons, but Webber 2 has to test Engineering or be crippled.


Damage

 
Top Bottom