[IC] Monster Squad (homebrew)

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
What was that? Or rather, who was that? A tree-spirit? But it looked so strange.

Where was she, anyway? All her life, she'd always known where she was. But then they took her to the ocean, and she had lost herself.
 

Hobbit

Registered User
Validated User
The unicorn thundered towards him over the spiny growth. Durak thought of continuing the charade with the cloth, but if it could smell blood then it was probably futile.

He dropped the sheet, punching out with his shield, this time he was rewarded with a crunch as the leather covered rim impacted the horn. It probably did more damage to the shield than to the monster, but it bought him space to skitter clear.

Glancing around he saw the spinosaur was down, dead or unconscious. A gaggle of humanoids were heading towards him at a run.
 
Last edited:

Liturgy

Registered User
Validated User
Sharpening their fingers into claws allows Thorn to take a few samples. The briar doesn't like being sampled - a few heavy drops of dryad sap leak from Thorn's re-opened cut and fresher lacerations - but eventually the perseverance of alchemical curiosity wins the day.

Samples of unchanged wood, two points along the change, and the final briar. Thorn doesn't put them safely under bark - they don't want this weird growth under their skin particularly - but winds enough twigs over them to hopefully keep them safe, until they have the time to study properly.

Wading back towards the shore of the patch of thorns, they consider the duel. The bloodied centaur warrior has managed to punch the chunky unicorn in the face with their shield and leap out of the line of its charge. Nearby the feathery lizard which started this whole business is crumpled on the ground.

Concerned that the unicorn may get hurt, Thorn wades faster, and starts to select a few of the ingredients they have tucked away in various places.

((I'd like to use Blasphemalchemy or Life Alchemy to put the rhino to sleep))
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
The unicorn becomes aware of the approaching humanoids, and circles around so it can face them and Durak at the same time, pawing at the ground at tossing its horn in a threatening display.

Durak, the humanoids are here. Distraction succeeded! What now?

Thorn, it doesn't seem to have noticed you. Putting it to sleep is going to be a Book Smarts and Life Alchemy check, equal or beat 3 (I rolled badly on its strength check).
 

Liturgy

Registered User
Validated User
(Book Smarts 5, Life Alchemy 6)

Good thing they just stocked up. Valerian and marsh-mallow and a scraping... no, wait, the unicorn is massive... a bigger scraping from the mandrake root. Thorn moves in, trying to stay ahead of the people with their sharp weapons and cold magic, infusing the squeezed fistful of herbs with their own magic: surely there is no bigger soporific than the smell of warm grass.

When their makeshift knockout bomb is as good as it's going to be, Thorn hurls it at the unicorn.
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
The small bark container tumbles almost lazily through the air over the unicorn's body before catching on its horn, and bursting open, engulfing its head in a cloud of dust. The great grey beast takes one last deliberate step, staggers, then slumps to the floor. A half-orc woman with a net approaches it cautiously and checks it over, turning to her squad leader:
"Rhino's out. What's next?"
The leader takes one look around and makes a decision, shouting first to one of the two she detached earlier
"Malo, get the cat when you're done with that crocodile"
then to the rest of her team.
"After the jackals."
As they run off, she takes a moment to look at Durak, and then Thorn, giving them each a professional nod:
"Good job, you two."

With them gone and the fight over, things are almost quiet here. Sure, in the background there's still screaming, and some human is shouting for help, but right here and now there's a moment of calm.
Thorn, now that you have a moment, it's evident the centaur is a breed you haven't seen before - not really equine in the hindquarters. Also, bleeding a bit.
Durak, you can see a humanoid figure made out of tree. Seems like you might need to extend your existing carnivore/herbivore categorisation, since this person might well be neither.
 

Liturgy

Registered User
Validated User
The unicorn - rhino, was the word the captain used - is out. Thorn takes a moment to be sure it isn't hurt (doesn't seem to be) before cautiously trying a smile on the... centaur? They've never seen an entity like this before. Today is a day of many firsts.

"Hello," they venture. "I'm Thorn. You... seem to be bleeding, I can try to stop that, if you want."
 

Polly Jayne

Registered User
Validated User
Right. If that's off Intuition (d8) on it's own, I got a 2.

However, if it's off Nature (d6)...I got a 3...

Oh dear.
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
Right. If that's off Intuition (d8) on it's own, I got a 2. However, if it's off Nature (d6)...I got a 3...
It's both! Pick the best. So... 3. D'oh.

So you try to feed the crocodile some fish and distract it, but the first fish hits it in the eye, and the second one in the nose. The good news is that it's distracted and isn't running for the water! The bad news is that's because it takes a moment to snap at you in irritation!
D8 (strength) -> 6
Oh dear. Give me Agility to see how badly Frances is mauled. I do believe that's only a D4 for you.
 

Hobbit

Registered User
Validated User
As the locals arrived Durak blew out a sigh of relief. He'd running out room to continue evading the unicorn, without risking serious damage to it, which probably wouldn't go down well.

The plant person hadn't caught his attention in the chaos of the mass escape, until they threw something at the unicorn and it collapsed. Durak was impressed.

The plant person spoke to him. The first person in the city to have done so. It took him a moment to react.

"Please." He turned to inspect the injury. "The rhino? got me."

"Are you local?"
 
Top Bottom