• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IC] Monster Squad (homebrew)

Liturgy

Registered User
Validated User
"Local? Not really." Thorn carefully navigates the crumpled rhino. "My forest is a day's walk away. So I don't know if this is normal for this city."

Healing is really easy. Even badgers can do it. Thorn just needs to remind the liontaur's torn flesh and broken skin of this fact.

"I'm a bit worried about some of those animals," they continue, pulling together the edges of the biggest gash. "They could get hurt."

((4 on Life Alchemy, if I had to roll))
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
(The roll is the HP restored. Note that it will take a while to actually come into effect, but it seems like you're no longer in a rush.)
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
Frances:
(d4 agility → 4 (information conveyed by other channels), takes 2 damage)

Annoyed by the thrown fish, the crocodile leaps at Frances and catches her left calf, biting hard into it. It keeps its grip as she falls leaving nasty tears (and wrecking her trousers). That is going to scar, and it will be difficult to stand in the immediate future.

Fortunately, as she's lying there two Animal Control Unit officers arrive and help. One of them clobbers the crocodile on the back of its head with a mace, and when it lets go to snap at him the other throws a net over it. A few moments of scrabbling and snarling follow, but the creature is restrained.

The first of the officers approaches Frances. He is human, clean-shaven, his pale brown skin shining slightly from the exertion, and his big brown eyes outlined with kohl. He smiles at Frances as he checks over her leg and applies bandages:
“It was very brave of you, to distract it like that! And useful! It would have been much harder to catch if it had reached the water.”
The other officer is older, paler, and more surly. He snorts at the word “brave”. He doesn't interrupt, but does speak when the first one finishes:
“Malo here is being polite. It was stupid. You could have been killed. Next time stay out of the way and let the professionals handle it.”
A flicker of irritation crosses Malo's face at this, but he turns back to Frances, smiles warmly, and adds:
“What my esteemed colleague Roben means to say is, your life is your own and you are free to choose to risk it, but no-one will consider you at fault if you do not.”
He finishes bandaging Frances calf.
“And now a thousand pardons, but we have more animals to catch. I suggest you do not strain that leg, even if you can walk, and we will be sure to send a doctor to you. Please do not forget to claim a reward from the merchant for your trouble.”

He bows, Roben scowls, and the two run off toward the rooftop where the Jaguar fled, arguing quietly.
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
The man who was shouting on the gangplank is now directing unenthusiastic sailors into the briar to search for snakes and spiders, and giving two directions to recapture the large snail (“Wrap canvas around it! The shell is poisonous!”). He is probably in his fifties and his clothes are purple velvet, slashed to reveal the yellow silk lining.
Frances
Spoiler: Show
From the clothes and attitude, this must be the merchant who owes you a reward.
Durak
Spoiler: Show
This guy looks rich. And he mentioned a reward for assistance in capture.


After directing the sailors he looks around somewhat frantic, and notices Thorn and Durak.
“Ah, you two seem useful! A reward if you bring me back the giant land crab, and another for the gryphon!”
 

Hobbit

Registered User
Validated User
"Thanks" he grunted as whatever the tree-person was doing started to take the stinging away.

"A day's walk, are all these animals native?"

A moment later, a penny belatedly drops and he looked at the briar sprung from the cages.

"Did you release everything?"
 

Liturgy

Registered User
Validated User
"None of them are familiar to me." Thorn looks up from the rapidly-closing gash. "I think they're from somewhere over the water. I didn't release them, though..."

... though that's an interesting thought. They peer over to where the patrol is sizing up the big cat's perch.
 

Hobbit

Registered User
Validated User
"Have you any way to catch a flying thing without killing it?" Durak asked, searching the undergrowth for the discarded spear.
 

Polly Jayne

Registered User
Validated User
[After directing the sailors he looks around somewhat frantic, and notices Thorn and Durak.]

Frances doesn't know the animal importer personally, but she does recognise some of his fine clothing as being some of the excellent outfitting from the House of Boquet. Wracking her brains for his name - but distracted by the pain in her leg - she smiles broadly at him as he turns away from the plant-person and the... centaur? (Not quite he isn't, but she'll think about that one later...).

'Ah', she says to the importer, 'we meet again! I see that fine outfit from our Atelier is serving you well! I'm glad to have been able to do you some more service here today by stopping your valuable reptile from escape! And who knows what damage it might have done in the dock, and what you might have ended up paying out in compensation! I'll certainly appreciate the reward, and in return we'll do our very finest work for you next time you purchase from us!'

She smiled in her best winning fashion, laced with a wince of pain. The dealer looked at her, blankly at first and then with some recognition.

'You're the business partner. The one who looks after the purchasing. And the professional secrets, I hear. What were you doing down here?' He looks wary for a moment.

'Serendipity. I was buying fabrics. Just lucky, I suppose.'
 

Polly Jayne

Registered User
Validated User
[Malo and Roben run off toward the rooftop where the Jaguar fled, arguing quietly.]

Frances found herself smiling slightly at the thought of Malo's dark eyes. Now, there was someone she could enjoy...working with.
 

Serket

Registered User
Validated User
(Thorn, Durak, the conversation between the merchant and the injured human is happening close enough to overhear, because the merchant is rather loud, even when he doesn't mean to be)

The Importer looks reassured.
“Was it... Frankie? Something like that? Diesto Dedalera, a pleasure to see you again.”

He starts to reach for a money pouch before a thought interrupts him, and he speaks more quietly:
“And these two...”
He gestures at Thorn and Durak.
“... people. Are they your... assistants? Do you handle the money?”

(An Intuition check of 3 reveals that)
Spoiler: Show
He doesn't really want to get close to the scary non-humans and would really rather deal with the human.



Meanwhile, on the ship behind him a half-orc woman has emerges from the aft cabin looking rather sleepy. She is short, old, and rather chubby, but nobody gets in her way as she comes to the side of the ship, her expression becoming rapidly more appalled and angry.

(A Book Smarts/Magical Knowledge check of 3 reveals
Spoiler: Show
that she's some sort of magic user, probably a shamanic tradition rather than wizardry
and a 5+ will get you
Spoiler: Show
that judging from the occult symbology, she's probably the ships weather-witch.
 
Top Bottom