• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IC&OOC] (D&D 5E) From Obscurity to Glorium

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
This is the IC and OOC combined thread for "From Obscurity to Glorium", a 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons game set initially in The Outlands, on the planes.

The group has heard tell of a Challenge(tm) soon to take place in Glorium, the gate-town to Ysgard in the Outer Planes. The prize consists of a wondrous item, custom crafted for the winner(s) by a conjunction of dwarves from the town of Ashbringer, and svartalfar ("dark" elves) from one of the layers of that outer plane, specifically that of Nidavellir. All that needs to be known about this envoy is that both races are legendary metalworkers.

IC and OOC will both take place in this thread, as I feel that it gives PbP a little more of a 'round the table sort of feeling. I would, though, appreciate it if people would specify OOC comments by placing (OOC) in front of them to avoid confusion. IC stuff doesn't need a preface.

I will handle mechanics for the game, to keep things moving and (to no small extent) to help me keep things organized in my chaotic, forgetful mind. When necessary and appropriate, I will post the mechanics in my own DM posts, likely in an sblock, if such things work with the new forum software.

The game has not yet begun; we need to first get through character generation. The next little while will be dedicated to that. Characters can be created via the standard array, or folks can elect to go random stats, in which case I will roll a set of numbers on Orokos and post. I believe in letting the dice fall where they may, so if you're not okay with random stats, go for the standard array.

The Recruitment thread was here:
https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/interest-recruitment-d-d-5e-from-obscurity-to-glorium.837269/

Players, please begin using this thread instead of Recruitment going forward.

Onwards to Glory!

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Fairly average stats with one lowbie by the look of it.
http://orokos.com/roll/679609
This gives:
6 # 14 [4d6=5, 2, 4, 3] 15 [4d6=4, 1, 4, 6] 8 [4d6=1, 2, 4, 1] 11 [4d6=3, 1, 1, 6] 11 [4d6=2, 1, 3, 5] 16 [4d6=5, 6, 4, 1]
Which translates to:

Arrange those in whichever order you wish.

inlanoche

Same here, I will go with the standard Human Rogue stats (hope I have this right):
STR 9
DEX 16
CON 11
INT 15
WIS 13
CHA 14
(after human racial mod)

When ever I've played random stats, I generally roll the stats then pick a class based on how I can arrange them. In any case, what about basic gear?

KnockingBox

Validated User
In 5e your basic gear comes directly from your class + background choices. It's handy!

I'm going to orient Lacky towards healing. Just to make sure, you don't start with a feat at level 1, right? And am I making a giant mistake with a -2 in Strength?

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As tempted as I am to gamble, I think I'll go with the standard array this time. The threat of low rolls scares me more than the lure of high rolls entices me.

Othar's ability scores, including variant human bonuses:

Strength 10
Dexterity 14
Constitution 14
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 12
Charisma 16

Question for the GM: the Folk Hero background really fits Othar thematically, but neither of the associated skills do. Would it be permissible to swap one or both of them out?

Elfwine

Validated User
Standard array here. I don't trust the dice not to fail me horribly.

Strength 8, Dexterity 17, Constitution 14, Intelligence 11, Wisdom 13, Charisma 12 counting high elf bonuses.
Noble background. Haven't picked the cantrip for being a high elf.

Bouncing between this and finishing a character for another game and extended family stuff today, so the rest may take a while.

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Same here, I will go with the standard Human Rogue stats (hope I have this right):
STR 9
DEX 16
CON 11
INT 15
WIS 13
CHA 14
(after human racial mod)

When ever I've played random stats, I generally roll the stats then pick a class based on how I can arrange them. In any case, what about basic gear?
KnockingBox is correct about the class and background determining your starting gear. You can choose to forego that and simply buy things, but that is also based on class to determine starting money.

In 5e your basic gear comes directly from your class + background choices. It's handy!

I'm going to orient Lacky towards healing. Just to make sure, you don't start with a feat at level 1, right? And am I making a giant mistake with a -2 in Strength?
I don't ever consider low stats to be making a mistake. It's an opportunity! :)
As far as I recall, only variant humans start with a feat. Anyone else gets them (if the DM uses them) in place of stat raises if they so desire.
Healing may come in handy, because the wilderness is unforgiving, as will be the Challenge. Which is to say that I'll likely be using the "lingering Injuries" optional rule. I doubt that I will use the rule that requires dependency on a Healer's Kit, though.

As tempted as I am to gamble, I think I'll go with the standard array this time. The threat of low rolls scares me more than the lure of high rolls entices me.

Othar's ability scores, including variant human bonuses:

Strength 10
Dexterity 14
Constitution 14
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 12
Charisma 16

Question for the GM: the Folk Hero background really fits Othar thematically, but neither of the associated skills do. Would it be permissible to swap one or both of them out?
Yep, perfectly permissable. One or both, as you like.

Standard array here. I don't trust the dice not to fail me horribly.

Strength 8, Dexterity 17, Constitution 14, Intelligence 11, Wisdom 13, Charisma 12 counting high elf bonuses.
Noble background. Haven't picked the cantrip for being a high elf.

Bouncing between this and finishing a character for another game and extended family stuff today, so the rest may take a while.
No rush. I'm giving people the chance to work through character gen, and will answer questions as necessary. The main thing here was to decide on random gen or standard array build; most of the rest of generation is picking stuff, and that's up to player choice. You folks can discuss whether you want to develop your characters as a cohesive team from a mechanical standpoint, but I find 5E to be MUCH more forgiving in that respect, with no real call for essential classes. Especially in a challenge like this, y'all can adapt and overcome.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
I'm going to do the bulk of the work tomorrow, but I wanted to set the stats down.

STRENGTH: 8
DEXTERITY: 13
CONSTITUTION: 16 (14+2)
INTELLIGENCE: 12
WISDOM: 10
CHARISMA: 15

Top Bottom