• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IC&OOC] (D&D 5E) From Obscurity to Glorium

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As a variant human, Othar starts with a feat. Gonna take Menacing unless someone has a better suggestion. Othar is turning out to be quite the Face, which was perhaps inevitable with his Charisma.

is Drokk taking Arcana? I ask because, well, Othar's kind of an idiot (Int 8) so him taking it would be sub-optimal. Would also fit his personality (loud and spontaneous) not to take it.

I plan to play Othar as big, bold and boisterous. He's optimistic, heroic, and the opposite of subtle. There is a relatively high chance that the other PCs will have to save him from himself at least once.

His giant soul type will be hill giant, the most classic of giants.

Do any of us know each other prior to session 1? Does the GM have any preferences there?

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
I would prefer that everyone is at least passing familiar with each other and general capabilities, since I'll be starting in medias res. Most of the concepts seem to have come from Axos, so you've probably seen each other around at the very least.

KnockingBox

Validated User
I don't ever consider low stats to be making a mistake. It's an opportunity! :)
For sure! I really like that style of play too!

Here's Lacky, basically:
Plus Eartha Kitt and her facial acting here:

I keep thinking Evil for her alignment: selfish, advantage-seeking, low-key cruel, loyal to her own but feels the rules don't apply to her and hers. I like the suggested Bard motive of Greed, performing as a means to an end rather than love of the craft. I don't think she's really malicious though. Maybe Lawful Neutral with some evil inclinations, able to get along with the party as more than just a meal ticket. She respects traditions and obligations in the way a sailor respects a storm.

I remembered that tieflings don't typically have two tiefling parents, and it gave me the brainwave that Lacky's people in Axos-by-way-of-Ondtland are probably chosen family; there are some blood connections, but it's more a tangled web of unconditional mutual support. If you asked her whether someone is related to her, there'd be lots of "sort of, it's complicated. But he's family."

Her birth name isn't Lachrymosa, just like handsome uncle Tenny wasn't born Tenebris and craven cousin Penny wasn't born Penitentia, but they sold their original Finnish-sounding names to the tattooed men of Fo Ling Po for passage out of Gehenna. It sounds fun and mythic to try to riddle someone into guessing her birth name just for the satisfaction of hearing it again - she can't say it anymore, of course.

I'm deciding whether to use the core Tiefling stats or one of the alternate options from Unearthed Arcana: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

I was picturing a very taiga planetouched with a crown of antlers and icy veins, which that Levistus heritage kinda suggests. Maybe I'll hack something together based on those models? It depends on whether I want Thaumaturgy or Ray of Frost as a cantrip. Sorcerous SFX would be good backup for our party of Charismatic wannabes, but more damage might be good for survival.

Bards have the advantage of picking any skill for proficiency, so Lacky can fill in some gaps depending on what people are looking at. Definitely Medicine, probably Nature...

Last edited:

inlanoche

A healer would be good. I don’t think any of the other classes is aligned that way. I will try to post out my full character sheet tomorrow, if that is needed. Again this is my first PbP, so just trying to get into the flow.

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
So far, I am greatly amused by some of the character flavour and backgrounds. There have already been choices that I dig, but that I would never have thought of making myself.

I like that the sorceror casting Shillelagh can cause enemies to be rocked back by the force of his presence. I like the emerging lore of the Gehennan mourners.

In any case, enough of my admirations. I was going to bring up the variant tieflings to see if you wanted to use them, but you're aware already, so cool.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
is Drokk taking Arcana? I ask because, well, Othar's kind of an idiot (Int 8) so him taking it would be sub-optimal. Would also fit his personality (loud and spontaneous) not to take it.
Arcana and History at this point. Not sure about his background yet, but I'm thinking Earthspur Miner is the most appropriate...if not particularly inspiring. That gives him Athletics and Survival.

My intent with Drokk is to have him struggling against his own darker impulses, driven as they are by his patron. He's a good man at heart, with a strong moral compass and a deep compassion, but the influence of the Dark has awakened a degree of cruelty.

Most of his magics will be manifesting as rough-hewn rock crystal, with tiny squirming...things dimly visible deep within the stone.

One question: is there any variation for starting gear with the Hexblade Warlock? Can I trade the simple weapon for a martial one? Medium armor is going to be out of his price range to start with, but I might be able to compensate with spells.

Last edited:

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Arcana and History at this point. Not sure about his background yet, but I'm thinking Earthspur Miner is the most appropriate...if not particularly inspiring. That gives him Athletics and Survival.

My intent with Drokk is to have him struggling against his own darker impulses, driven as they are by his patron. He's a good man at heart, with a strong moral compass and a deep compassion, but the influence of the Dark has awakened a degree of cruelty.

Most of his magics will be manifesting as rough-hewn rock crystal, with tiny squirming...things dimly visible deep within the stone.

One question: is there any variation for starting gear with the Hexblade Warlock? Can I trade the simple weapon for a martial one? Medium armor is going to be out of his price range to start with, but I might be able to compensate with spells.
Starting gear would be as for the Warlock. If you wish to swap out the simple for martial, that's cool.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
Perfect. Would you mind if I were to sell the crossbow for half market value, and use the gold to buy a shield?

Also, do you have a particular format for the character sheets, and do you want us to post them anywhere else in addition to this thread? I'm largely done with the mechanical bits at this point, equipment aside, and I'm just working on making it look nice and coherent.

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Perfect. Would you mind if I were to sell the crossbow for half market value, and use the gold to buy a shield?

Also, do you have a particular format for the character sheets, and do you want us to post them anywhere else in addition to this thread? I'm largely done with the mechanical bits at this point, equipment aside, and I'm just working on making it look nice and coherent.
No particular format in mind. As long as I can tell stats, proficiencies, and sundry.

I don't mind you having sold the crossbow at half value, in exchange for a shield.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I keep thinking Evil for her alignment: selfish, advantage-seeking, low-key cruel, loyal to her own but feels the rules don't apply to her and hers. I like the suggested Bard motive of Greed, performing as a means to an end rather than love of the craft. I don't think she's really malicious though. Maybe Lawful Neutral with some evil inclinations, able to get along with the party as more than just a meal ticket. She respects traditions and obligations in the way a sailor respects a storm.
Some possible IC conflict there, since Othar sees himself as a hero. Expect to be scolded (loudly) when/if Othar catches her doing something actively evil.

Her birth name isn't Lachrymosa, just like handsome uncle Tenny wasn't born Tenebris and craven cousin Penny wasn't born Penitentia, but they sold their original Finnish-sounding names to the tattooed men of Fo Ling Po for passage out of Gehenna. It sounds fun and mythic to try to riddle someone into guessing her birth name just for the satisfaction of hearing it again - she can't say it anymore, of course.
That is legitimately awesome.

I like that the sorceror casting Shillelagh can cause enemies to be rocked back by the force of his presence.
Othar is basically a six-foot-tall giant, so yeah. No cowering in the back lines for this sorcerer!

Gonna take mage armor and catapult for his 1st level spells, and he gets heroism for being a hill giant soul. Full CS coming soon, hopefully tonight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom