[IC&OOC] (D&D 5E) From Obscurity to Glorium

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
It's dark and quiet in the hall, especially so since the death of the boar.

At the "T" junction, the party can see that the complex doesn't extend too much farther; on the left, there's a small bit of hall and then a room approximately the size of the entryway with the plinth. There's nothing constructed here, no plinth no furniture, no features - but there are bones. The floor is littered with the skeletal remains of perhaps a dozen human(oid) bodies, scattered around and with who knows how many crushed to bits amongst them. Mineral pig hooves are not delicate. There's no smell or fleshly remains. Just bone.

The right-hand side of the "T" is much the same, though instead of bones, the walls are covered in a gravity-defying layer of blood, cold but liquid, somehow suspended on like ghoulish wall paper. Thick. On the floor there's another circle, this time just carved into the marble and filled with its own circle of blood. It's a teleportation circle, but not currently active. Since the pig seems to have come from this direction, one would expect to see footprints leading away from said circle, but there are none. The room is as austere and pristine as the rest of the complex. Neither this room nor the left side have any exits.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
"Well. This is a cheery sight, and no mistake." Drokk voice was flat, betraying no sign of the disgust churning within him as he considered the bloody circle. "And no doubt fraught with meaning, of one sort or another." At his side, his fingers curled. For the moment, at least, his hand remained empty. He took another step forward, into the right hand room, and turned a slow circle as he took it all in.

OOC: Making one of them Arcana checks: +3

Elfwine

Validated User
"Does it look like anything you know about?"

OOC: Just making a Perception check to see if there's any details we might be overlooking.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Othar pauses to root through the remains of the mineral corpse and take a double handful of the most colorful gems he can find. Stuffing them into his pockets, he reclaims his staff and follows the others down the corridor.

"Our predecessors, you suppose?" he says softly, eyeing the bones. "Them as made it to this place - or were sent here - and failed to overcome yon great piggy?"

Peering into the other room, he wrinkles his nose in distaste. "And that would be where it returned from the plane of Mineral, I suppose, but why are there no hoofprints?"

KnockingBox

Validated User
Lacky just gawps at the suspended blood. She tests it with her finger, just to make sure it's liquid.

"Is this Nidavellir? Bones and hanging blood in marble tombs?"

She scratches her chin with the unbloody hand. "Maybe the whole plane's like this. Just tombs and tombs for the supposedly honorable dead, on and on into infinity. It's a hell, isn't it?"

She surveys the portal. "We shouldn't bust that one up. Maybe it's how we leave. Saying a name three times sounds like a portal key to my pointed ears."

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Eirlys' elven eyes and calm assessment of the complex do bear some fruit: there are markings on the floor in the bone room, and to hazard a guess she'd say that the same sort of recessed circle as in the blood room can be found there as well, but currently covered in bones.

Meanwhile, Drokk uses his mundane and arcane senses to try to find out about the blood room. It's thick with enchantment of course, for something has to be keeping the blood up and fresh, but there's a sense of transmutation magic in the room as well - but that could just be his senses rebelling against something so strange, refusing to believe that blood would be used in this way.

The Rule of Threes seems to hold sway over this complex, as it does in so much of the planes, though not usually this blatantly.

OOC: Rolled offline for the dice, in order to keep things secret if they went poorly, and then both rolls were quite high, so I guess it doesn't much matter :)

inlanoche

Sandford moves into the ‘bone’ room, looking for any salvageable items, trying no to disturb the bones too much. (Perception +3). After that he looks to the group.

“Something of this place still makes me uneasy. We should leave, unless one of you knows a reason to stay. I personally don’t want to end up like the boar, and be trapped here...”
He starts to move back to the room the entered this cave.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
"I don't like not knowing," Drokk was still considering the circle. "It niggles at me, it does. Like a sore tooth, or having something in your eye. But not all things are meant to be known, and some things simply can't be, so...." He turned away. "This can just join the other things that keep me up nights." Walking to join Sanford, he raised his voice a bit, so that the others could here. "Call the name, if you're ready. Call it thrice, and we can be gone. But be wary; I don't think that the danger is entirely past, not yet." Fingers curled again, and this time there was an axe for them to curl 'round.

inlanoche

Sandford looks around at the rest of the team, shifting his stance. It is apparent he does not want to stick around here much longer, much like everywhere he seems to linger. He clears his throat.
"Galamakthros..." he calls out looking towards the ceiling.

Top Bottom