[IC] [SWN] Delta Drop

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Jan 1, 3200 11:00 AM
0602 Jamilah, Maria

The section of sky ahead is ringed in a dim golden glow battered by black dust all around. Within the ring, the sky is blue, the clouds are white and the nanites of Maria are held at bay. Below, the nation of Adara awaits. Antares drops through the clouds, pulling one around herself like a cloak as she descends towards the spaceport below. Her chunky, triangular hull wheels easily, landing gear folding out as she touches down at her assigned pad. Chimes sound over the comms and a pleasant voice announces, "Welcome to Prime Adara Station. Please enjoy your stay. Remember to arrange purchase of services and equipment, and, as always, read the fine print. Ma-Salaam."

Your passengers depart with their gear, some scruffy miners hoping to strike it big on the holmium deposits recently discovered. The money they paid for the ride is enough to cover the last round of repairs on Antares, which the spaceport is fully equipped to do. The ship settles in, venting steam and powering down non-essential systems. Outside, it's a beautiful day, and past the unwalled pads of the port you can see the market displaying goods from all over Maria and from half a dozen merchant ships besides. There's a crowd bustling, many men sporting beards and some of the women covering their hair or even their faces with veils and fabric. Offworlders mix easily with them, and the sound of unrestrained commerce rings out from the market, especially at a permanant tent standing with flaps open, where a standing 'job fair' awaits. Beyond this little slice of capitalism, the rest of the city stretches out, home to over fifty thousand people, tall minarets competing with office buildings and apartment complexes for the skyline. It's a pretty city, if a little spoiled by the panoramic advertising filling in the view.

Last edited:

KnockingBox

Validated User
Ifemelu had been furrowing her brow behind her sun visor since the Antares passed through the black clouds and the golden ring. During the descent, she pensively crossed her arms and stood still in a wide stance, balancing without a handhold. It wasn't until the shuttle landed and the paid passengers disembarked that she shared her inner monologue with the rest of the crew.

"A whole country living in the shadow of an insect swarm! How sad to be so afraid of the world outside the city walls. Is their bite so awful?"

Naed Yar

Validated User
San looks out. He shrugs. "Obviously, different nanites do different things. There must be a reason they keep these city-states separate. Shouldn't be a reason to keep us in the ship too long. Maybe there's a job to be had out there?"

He stands up and stretches. "At the very least, we can stretch our legs for a couple of hours," San adds as he loops his rifle over his shoulder.

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
"Nice and cosy," says Axminster. "Don't need border guards. Keep a place orderly, could you here."

He's in a shipsuit and a long over-robe, both as clean and neat as the prominently displayed Ruchi Marines telltales in his headfur. Staring out of the bridge windows, he harrumphed.

"I'm very concerned with the lack of conflict in our recent business ventures. Will be getting into trouble of some sort this planetfall?" He looks hopefully at the rest of the crew.

Marc G.

Validated User
"You said it, Axminster", Giotto says over his shoulder as he finishes going through the post-flight checklist, "If I wanted to be a taxi driver, I'd've stayed home." Flipping the last toggle cover closed, he spins his chair around and rises, dataslab still in hand. "And it looks like our hosts have been considerate enough to collect a bunch of opportunities and leave them within easy walking distance. I'm heading there now, if anyone wants to come with. I promise not to sign anything."

Naed Yar

Validated User
San's attention to detail kicks in.

"You said it, Axminster", Giotto says over his shoulder as he finishes going through the post-flight checklist, "If I wanted to be a taxi driver, I'd've stayed home." Flipping the last toggle cover closed, he spins his chair around and rises, dataslab still in hand. "And it looks like our hosts have been considerate enough to collect a bunch of opportunities and leave them within easy walking distance. I'm heading there now, if anyone wants to come with. I promise not to sign anything."
"Obviously...not that saying there may be a job out there and we can stretch our legs lends itself to that?" he asks with the grim humored-tone of one who has seen action. He smirks.

Marc G.

Validated User
"Obviously...not that saying there may be a job out there and we can stretch our legs lends itself to that?" he asks with the grim humored-tone of one who has seen action. He smirks.
Giotto smiles sheepishly. "Oh. Sorry, must not have been paying attention. Well, I'll come with you then."

rstites

Validated User
Theo looks out wide-eyed having very little experience outside the walls of the religious zealots he grew up with. Unlike the others, he isn't looking for excitement. So far, it seems to find him. Instinctively, he feels around around for other psychics, ignoring the ping he gets from Ifemelu. She's safe, but he still fears other psychics, a bit paranoid that those from his past are right on his heels, even this far from Anchise.

He fails to muster convincing false bravado, "Yeah, some excitement sounds good." His voice squeaks a bit with it. "Who forces the states to be kept secret?," his curiosity getting the best of him.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
The ship's navigator, a wizened old woman and semi-retired freebooter who goes by Skate, scowls up at the sky and replies, "When those nannies went bad and started warping everything, only places with screen shielding, those 'fences' that keep the sky clear, survived. They were isolated for centuries and they've all got their own ways of doing things now. None of them want to unify."

She scowls again and waves the group off, "Ah, I think I'll stay with the ship. No sense wearing out my joints and I'd like to keep an eye on the techs, make sure they don't pocket nothing. You youngins have fun, now."

The market is busy and packed, the noise of people and music, the sight of colors and goods and the smell wafting from foodcarts is intense, but still, the market is not that big, and you are soon enough at the tent. Long-term employment exists in Adara, but contract work is quite common and offworlders are in particular demand for some jobs. There are booths and displays for technical work, offworld cargo transport, fighting competitions and security work.

Two jobs stand out. The first, posted by a local captain of industry named Omar Wasem, is a security gig, keeping an eye out and providing exotic guards to liven up a gala he's putting on for his fellow high society types. The second is a claim enforcement action commissioned by one Nadia Elbaz. She laid claim to a potential holmium deposit before the Dominican (another independent fenced zone) government claimed the entire area for themselves and started parceling out stakes at auction to its citizens. Since she has prior claim, she's willing to respond to this theft of her property with lethal force if necessary.

The first job pays 3500 credits for one nights work, with the option of further work if your performance is good. The second job offers 6000 credits and rights to anything captured from the claimjumpers. One thing you all notice is that the identity of the employers, their aims, proximate causes and risks of the job are all clearly laid out. If you take a job, you should have a good idea of what you're expected to do and what the job should entail.

Last edited:

Naed Yar

Validated User
Sangodele looks at the options. "Hmm...I like the sound of the claim protection against the Dominicans; however, I don't feel comfortable needing to use lethal force against civilian claims."

He looks at the representative for Nadia Elbaz, "Who is out there jumping your claim? The Dominicans or unarmed settlers?"

Top Bottom