[IC] [SWN] Delta Drop

KnockingBox

Validated User
If is trying very hard to find her serenity. This lever is thrust, this is rotate, this is...well, she doesn't know what that one does. Great Goddess, there are a lot of buttons on this thing.

"Heard," she says, quavering just a little.

She subvocalizes: "Which would embolden them: holding our fire, or showing our throats by firing poorly?"

Tick tock. She knocks her tongue against her teeth.

Will firing on the Taldeans instead of seeking cover cause grievous harm?

If the outlook is bleak, she tries to maneuver the tank to cover. If not, she switches to turret controls and fires as best as she can at the squads!

Marc G.

Validated User
Giotto reacts to the sensor ping with undisguised relish. "OK, let's see what you've got." He spins the tank in a tight arc and begins spraying machine gun fire up the street at their pursuers. His left hand quickly activates the lateral drive controls, causing the tank to slew back and forth across the throughway. "Hope you're strapped in, San!"

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
Axminster points his vehicle towards the nearest group of friendlies and turns the ignition off after disengaging the drive train. He keeps one hand on the controls as he undogs the overhead hatch.
"I'm going to let this one roll home..." he says over comms before clambering out of the hatch.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Ifemelu sees the patterns narrow. Will firing on the Taldeans instead of seeking cover cause grievous harm? No. No, it will not.

The entire gang opens up as they send their vehicles sliding and lurching towards cover. Machine guns rake the two squads, taking a bloody toll. Axminster climbs onto the top of his tank as it glides towards friendly lines, aiming carefully and dropping a soldier carrying a missile launcher with a brief staccato of las fire. San launches a shell that obliterates three enemy soldiers, including their entire heavy weapons crew. Even as the deafening, blinding thunder of the group's assault starts to die down, the reinforcements fire at range, lasrifles and assault rifles stitching fire into the survivors until none remain standing. The Taldeans get off a handful of return shots as they die, but nothing connects. The destruction is total.

There is smoke and rubble, bodies and blood, but nothing now bars your path back to base. Once there, the group is greeted as champions, troops cheering in the plaza and raising their guns to salute. This night, this battle, it might have changed things. The Egunans have had grim determination, but now they have hope as well.

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
Axminster alights with a grace entirely unusual for his size and heads toward the Taldean fallen, making sure that they are all dead and their weapons are carefully gathered. Only after that does he allow the mood to impinge on him.
"This has been a very satisfying fight," he beams "despite the appalling lack of attacks on me personally. Our pack has earned this honour."

KnockingBox

Validated User
"They didn't even try to eat you this time!"

If has been fully focused on keeping the gravtank floating ahead, but she lets her TK hand run the controls for a second while she leans back, takes off her headset, and just laughs the stress out. The most dreadful possibilities evaporate, and the immediate future is smooth sailing.

Marc G.

Validated User
Giotto spins his tank in one final victory donut before relinquishing it to the Egunan forces. He soaks up the adulation from the troops, and tries his best to ensure that each of his comrades receive their time in the spotlight as well.

After the celebrations have died down somewhat, and the crew has secured some private corner of the base for discussion, he states his case. "We're on a hot streak here, and I say we ride it all the way to the top. A few more strikes like this, we can break the back of the Taldean guard, and maybe tip the whole damn city over. And imagine our new pals being this grateful when they've got the keys to the city treasury, hm?"

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
February 10 3200, 8:00 AM
Irun Berriaren, Latsari

The celebrations are real and bright, but also brief. The armor captured is a boon, and the Egunans have taken an advantageous position on the front, but then the casualties start to come in. The hospital is swamped with wounded, and there are bodies being buried on the field in impromptu graveyards. It's not the teams fault, of course, it's just the way popular uprisings work, making up their lack of arms and leadership with bodies. The Taldeans avoiding being too heavily blooded by their defeat by strategically giving ground; the center of the city is still contested.

The team is given some to time to rest while troops are rotated off the front and reserves sent in. The war grinds on.

February 13 3200, 9:00 AM
Irun Berriaren, Latsari

Manager Riwut calls a briefing with the crew. "We've received some useful intelligence, in part from the asset you extracted. As you've seen, despite the courage of our soldiers and your own heroics, our opponents have the edge in tactical training and strategy. We simply do not have the officer pool to match them. We've identified a forward command base, one that we now know the Iron Komandan is working from. He's a Taldean party loyalist and a gifted strategist serving in the Ruma. His death would significantly hamper Taldean combat operations.

"This mission would require stealth. The command base is too well-guarded for shock and awe tactics to penetrate all the way to the Komandan, no matter how well executed. There are also rumors, unsubstantiated, that Taldean psychics are operating out of this base."

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
"We would need detailed intelligence on the site and a lot of explosives," snuffs Axminster thoughtfully. "Psychics can be allowed for if you have insight."
He looks around at the assembled crew, trying to get a read on their mood.
"I am enjoying the conflict immensely, especially as a background for my Sensaround piece, but I don't want to be selfish. Are you still happy fighting for these people, or should we go and make far more profit elsewhere?" He seems unconcerned about the choice.

KnockingBox

Validated User
If looks pensive.

"I want to see another psychic on the battlefield. I've been dreaming about the one that Theo saw. We can't carry all the water for the Egunans, but I still want to fight while we're making a difference, and cross-training with the commandos has been fulfilling. I feel alive here. Let's take the fight to their base and see what we discover."

She asks Riwut: "What's known about the command base? Is it a hard bunker, or a repurposed warehouse or office building?"

Top Bottom