[IC] [SWN] Delta Drop

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Riwut looks through his notes briefly, flicking his fingers across the screen of his dataslab, "It began life as an atelier and loft, but has been adapted since the Taldeans took up residence there. They've deployed modular reinforcements as well several lines of defense and a sensor screen. It's a three story building with an attached service shed. Understand, though, that our sky is a roof; everything in the city is reinforced against the chance of falling debris. It isn't a true bunker, and doors and windows can be breached, it isn't entirely proof against high explosives or artillery shelling, but it's tough. Well-defended.

"In addition to eliminating the Komandan, it would be valuable to neutralize any of his command staff, and to neutralize any enemy psychics you may encounter."

He projects a simple schematic map onto a wall, gesturing as he speaks, "The sensor screen is a zone of active drones and static pods with a great deal of redundancy built in. It's not impossible to sneak past, but it'd be hard to completely blind. The first defensive line are pop drones, combat drones armed with lasrifles and an expert combat system. They also have a small incendiary charge built in so that they light up when destroyed; it's not dangerous, but it helps identify the location of enemy contact. The second line consists of a pair of infantry squads in lightly fortified positions on sentry duty. They should have several LMGs at their disposal. The third line is an electrified razor fence surrounded by ferrocrete barriers, with an additional squad of infantry on patrol. They likely have more soldiers and defenses within the building, but we haven't been able to identify them."

Marc G.

Validated User
"They ain't messing around, huh." Giotto responds to the briefing with grudging admiration. "I might be able to hijack some of the pop drones if we can get close enough, cut us an opening up to the sentries. I doubt we want to start shooting until we're at least at the building, but I don't have any idea about how to get past that wall without being spotted."

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
"Sometimes, old buildings have old access ways...any chance you have plans of the building before and any service entrances?" Axminster looks pensive.
"I could see this attack costing a lot of lives without a trick in it."

KnockingBox

Validated User
"I don't foresee us fighting our way in, or out. How do the Taldeans get in and out? Do they have some secret hand sign to recognize each other, or a...a signal bug in their coats that sings a familiar song to the drones?"

"I suggest we watch the site for a few hours first. We can study the guard patterns, and listen on comm networks for any hidden information that's being passed. If the puzzle looks solvable that way, we could ambush a patrol somewhere else and take their uniforms."

"One of us, or the Egunans, could watch with a rifle and destroy those light-up drones as a distraction if we need one."

Naed Yar

Validated User
"Ideally, one of us," San thinks aloud, "hack the drones. Those are the most deadly to us as they eliminate the element of surprise. I wouldn't want a single one to light up. If this commander is as good as they worry, he'd see through diversionary tactics of setting off select drones or all at once."

"Watching them for a bit would be helpful, so long as this dossier doesn't have anything else to add. I love the idea of using a patrol's uniforms but we, as a group, don't look like human soldiers as a whole. No offense," he says looking at Ax and Theo.

"Grenades or mortars would be ideal for dealing with the second line. If we could ground the fence or short it, that's how I've gotten around them before."

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Riwut considers, "There are some tunnels allowing access to the power grid, but they surely know of them as well. I will forward you building plans shortly. As you are already thinking, the facility must be accessed by the Taldeans for them to use it, and it must be supplied as well."

Marc G.

Validated User
"There's a thought. Bump off a supply van en route, put most of you in the back, and drive up claiming to have survived an insurgent attack. We'd have to jam their comms during the hit, and I'd need to whip up some ID overlays for us in advance. And if things go south at the gate, hey, we've already got a getaway vehicle!"

KnockingBox

Validated User
If seconds that. "If we're walking into a deadly mistake, I'll have some advance warning. We can afford to take risks. I say we take a supply truck and simply drive through the checkpoint, once we observe and have an idea of how they normally operate. Once we're inside, we can find where each of them are based and start undoing the command staff."

Naed Yar

Validated User
"I prefer the tunnels to the truck, but either can work. I prefer being in a place where they can't drop a rocket on us. Between If's foresight and Giotti's hacking, we can do it regardless."

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
"I personally prefer a tunnel as I'm less likely to be asked why I'm a Horchog down there," Axminster grunfles.
"I do tend to draw attention," he finishes, somewhat smugly.

Top Bottom