• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

If one of my player rolls his eyes anymore they might just fall out!

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Note: he's not rolling them at me but at the other players.

So I am running Numenera and Quin, an Aeon Priest half of the characters have met before, sends them to locate his now heretical mentor to help with an issue that a former party member caused. So the group travel to a far off city to discover that the former mentor is the leader of a cannibal cult, who eats dead people's brains to gain their knowledge.

The session after discovering this Master Eyeroll is ill so misses the session. So the group go to meet cannibal priest is a dank and fairly disgusting temple. He is fairly obviously mad, complete with a Jokeresque laugh. The group try and convince him to return with them (even though at that point they didn't have a way home sorted - they had, despite taking notes, forgotten that there way there was one way). Eventually he agrees as long as the group go get the body of a local Aeon Priest who died recently. Now I had an open mind one what the characters might do, but agreeing to the body grab was not the option I was expecting.

The group decide en-mass to scope out the local Temple of Truth, which turns out to be the nose cope of a star ship. They tell the local Aeon Priests a story that really doesn't add up, the two orders are over a thousand miles a part so have little to no contact with each other. Despite this they get to see the body of the dead Priest and realise that the defences of the temple are probably beyond them.

Slightly despondent they leave the temple and are discussing their options, when a complete stranger approaches them and suggests that their master might be able to help. So like obedient puppies they go to visit this master. Enter creepy NPC 2, Yuan Dos, bone white dude, in a latex robe, who floats in the air. He seems very friendly, offering information and aid in their mission. He even offers them away to avoid the machine intelligence which guards the temple. He suggests rather than going via the temple that the go into the caves were the base of craft is located and explore up through the craft to avoid detection, his only request is that they supply him with a map of their discoveries. With little to no discussion, the group decide to take this option and the means to avoid the machine intelligence, which turns out to be a bolt in each temple. Only then do they discuss what Master Eyeroll would think.

Well what he thought was that they were all morons. He berated them on first agreeing with the cannibal priest and then taking gifts from creepy strangers. While he eventually convinced them not to go through with craft exploration, though I can tell that half of the group reeeaaally want to do that, he has watched each decision the group has made with growing resignation. Amusingly for me, this session the group found another NPC who when asked about Yuan Dos, corrected them that it was Yuan Tres. Despite one of the players saying "oh three, not two", they actually changed their notes!

These are not new players and three out of the four have played Numenera before.....in games that I have run, but for some reason they, without Master Eyeroll, have decided to take bizarre choices.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Numenera's a pretty bizarre setting and I wouldn't necessarily think someone who floats in the air is bad just because they're creepy. Besides, I would agree to work with him just for the chance to explore the whole of the spaceship. Imagine what other kinds of treasure you could find by poking around in there!

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In my gaming group there is a tendency for the party, whenever there is a choice, to take the maddest option as most likely to generate interesting stories.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a difference between players making bizarre choices, and characters making bizarre choices. It can be a lot of fun to play the sort of character that will gleefully jump down the rabbit's hole.

Fortinbras

Agent of Dream
Validated User
A few weeks back, two of us missed a session of our regular game. When we got back the next week, all of the other players were like, "it was awful! You guys are our conscience; our characters always end up doing stupid, crazy things when your characters aren't around to keep us in check!" :D

So, apparently, my character is one of the only adults in the room...

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My party’s equivalent of Master Eyeroll once missed a session. It was epic. When they came back, and for years afterward, the mantra was “Two days. I was gone for two days. What could happen in two days?”

To be fair, that was a party of particularly irresponsible characters, led by a real-life seminarian who always had the craziest ideas.

I do not, however, wish to imply I disapprove of Master Eyeroll. Careful, prudent roleplaying is a fine way to do it too, so long as the players are on board with it.

Jack

Wave Man
Validated User
I mean nothing against Master Eyeroll but...

it sounds like everyone else is having fun with Kanye the Giant and Master Eyeroll is "well actually dear cousin"-ing things (but less politely it seems) and might just need to learn to roll to the club with the rest of the crew.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes the group had a blast, though the next session they all acted like naughty children who got caught out being naughty. I also had a lot of fun that session, especially being the cannibal priest. I hadn't realised until I started playing him I was going to invoke Mark Hamill quite so much, the laugh even weirded me out a bit.

As for Yuan Dos the floating isn't what made him creepy, I play him like he's a Doug Jones character, all wide movements and rolling wrists, mixed with a subtle, slightly sinister, arrogant turn of phrase. I've used him before with another group and they pretty much all agreed after meeting him once that he needed to be killed with fire, preferably from a vast distance.

Top Bottom