• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

I'm impressed with Cortex Prime

kronovan

Validated User
...I’m having trouble figuring out the “loop”, for want of a better term. (This is not a request for an explanation. I’ve read the docs. I’m saying I don’t FEEL it yet in a way that would make me comfortable running my own game.)
I hear you. Oddly enough, the previous Cortex+ didn't click for me until I played a Star Wars hack at a CON that used the Firefly flavor of it. That let me experience how clever and fun it is as a system. The system is a bit like FATE in that regard; not easy to get from a read through, but it starts to make sense quickly once the dice start rolling.

Aaron Mouritsen

RadioFreeDeath
Validated User
This thread inspired me to bother downloading the draft i got from the kickstarter. Now I'm trying to brainstorm setting up a game probably using the more drama-y side of things. Some vampire the requiem or masquerade inspired probably.

Brontes

Validated User
I kind of wish I had a better idea of how to put together Distinctions and appropriate SFX for them for the various projects I want to undertake, but I like what I've fiddled with more or less.

Old Man Vegan

Validated User
SFX are more an art than a science. While there are canned SFX you can simply pick from, you have to get what they do mechanically to see how you could skin it to represent what you're accomplishing narratively. Then there's the bespoke SFX, which requires your understanding of how SFX are created: trigger/bonus/trade-off/etc, e.g. the default SFX that everyone has for Distinctions: roll a D4 (instead of a D8) and gain a PP.

I most play Cortex Heroic (Marvel) and while I have a handle on picking from the codified SFX, I still struggle in creating my own, so I mainly scour the Marvel event books for unique SFX and try to wrap my head around what I know about the characters and what the author did with the SFX, even if it was nothing more than renaming an existing SFX (that alone opened my eyes to how you could look at something you already thought you understood mechanically).

Stacie.Winters1

Validated User
I'd love it if all the SFX from the MHR books were compiled together in a list, and all the Ability/Power Distinctions from Smallville books compiled as well... These lists would be a huge boon to CPrime, and be immensely helpful in worldbuilding our own stuff.

Having the entirety of Smallville's Pathways with Distinctions reprinted in a new Prime book would be the only way to really move on from needing Smallville to properly use Pathways for character and world generation. The Pathways in Prime is still non-functional to me as it is.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
One of the things I liked about Cortex+ and are now liking about Cortex Prime in contrast to FATE, is that I can make it map/tabletop friendly with little effort for those players that want that.
It's funny, but one of my complaints about MHR was that I found it to be really genuinely bad at mechanically representing range/location in a mapping sort of way, whereas I find Fate Core to be quite serviceable in that regard. (Although I found both -- and indeed every single RPG I've ever played -- to be pretty bad at modeling a chase that takes place in a combat context. Even if I find Fate to be good at chases outside of combat.)

kronovan

Validated User
It's funny, but one of my complaints about MHR was that I found it to be really genuinely bad at mechanically representing range/location in a mapping sort of way, whereas I find Fate Core to be quite serviceable in that regard. (Although I found both -- and indeed every single RPG I've ever played -- to be pretty bad at modeling a chase that takes place in a combat context. Even if I find Fate to be good at chases outside of combat.)
Well I can't speak to MHR, because I only ever browsed it at a LGS before deciding it wasn't something my gamers or myself would likely enjoy. For Cortex+ Action such as the Firefly flavor, it's easy to use scaling dice in combat scenes. You just need to decide what the range increments are for common ranged attacks or those weapons that are in game as signature assets. Then assign different die types to the scaling difficulty presented by the challenge to hit targets at further ranges. All of those ranges can be spec'd in feet, yard, inches, square, hexes or whatever your group is comfortable with.

I'm well aware that there's some gamers that are fond of FATE's zones, but I've found a number of players in my groups struggle with them - especially if they want minis on a map and you're trying to accommodate them. To each their own, but my experience is different than yours; I don't find FATE very serviceable for representing that sort of game play.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Well I can't speak to MHR, because I only ever browsed it at a LGS before deciding it wasn't something my gamers or myself would likely enjoy. For Cortex+ Action such as the Firefly flavor, it's easy to use scaling dice in combat scenes. You just need to decide what the range increments are for common ranged attacks or those weapons that are in game as signature assets. Then assign different die types to the scaling difficulty presented by the challenge to hit targets at further ranges. All of those ranges can be spec'd in feet, yard, inches, square, hexes or whatever your group is comfortable with.
I tried to run a team on team fight in MHR. Most of both teams were doing fight stuff that involved smashing one another, blasting one another, etc. One character from one team tried to run off, and another character chased.

I found the scaling dice thing to be completely unsatisfying. Because while it represented the dynamic between the moving characters well enough, it didn't at all represent their situation relative to the more or less stationary characters. The changing die type just didn't make any sense relative to them. Like if A is chasing B, and A manages to reduce the die type from d10 to d8, yet narratively they're running away from the stationary battle, why did it just become easier for a stationary character to affect B even though they're further away?

The whole thing was weird and didn't work at all for me.

Chris Henry

Validated User
Perhaps Cam could do an update to the Kickstarter linking this thread. I think much of the frustration about lack of communication comes from wanting a place to discuss the game with its developer involved. And KS itself just isn't conducive to that. It does some of us a world of good to see that *you're* still excited about Prime, Cam.

Top Bottom