• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro [+]I'm starting to think I just want Toy Soldier games

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, man, have I got a website for you...

We all know the French went to war in WWI with the dark blue coats and red trousers. However, the French had watched the contemporary shift to dull, drab uniforms with interest and had proposed similar changes to their armies prior to 1914. These changes were tested but not implemented by 1914.

Here is a website with some photos and paintings of these proposed uniforms. For example:

That seems like ideal inspiration for some sort of cool "imaginations" army, or a hypothetical late 19th/early 20th century war. (I.e., France and Germany go to war over the Agadir Crisis.)

Edit:

Even more here. Like the original of the painting above:

Last edited:

RSDean

Validated User
I think what I want is to paint 18thC soldiers to my own colour scheme.
Ah! That's easy, then. All you need to do is to look at some real 18th century pictures, and decide whether you want early coats, or later coats with turnbacks, choose some suitable miniatures, and have an idea of how big you want the units to be for the rules you're thinking of using. Given that I started with the idea that I wanted to play Charge! and use 40mm Prince August figures, those decisions were fairly easy. The consequences of choosing to use 59 figure regiments in 40mm are another story...:eek:

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Last edited:

komradebob

Validated User
With this AWI project I've made for myself, I crash-built rules (specifically 2pagers) and went with inexpensive 54mm plastic toy soldiers, and a highly stylized approach.

Infantry Units of maneuver are only 8 men ( plus option for attached officers/drummers/flag-bearers) and ranges are very short for both move and firing ( muuuuch shorter than the physical size of the miniatures would imply). That was a choice made based on the 5' x 6' surface I have to play on.

OTOH, lots of options exist in 1/72 for various periods, and with better paint available, they become a much better option than they used to be for doing this sort of thing, and on a reasonable budget.

Edited to add:
Being AWI, abut half the forces are regulars, 2 soldiers to a rectangle base (3" front x 2" depth). The other half are loose order/irregular/undertrained troops on single circle bases 1 1/2". I can play all of it together, or use the single figures for smaller skirmishes and raids with a different ( crash-built, again) ruleset, smaller armies, and longer ranges, with more detail.

Last edited:

komradebob

Validated User
I'm going t have to wait and see what that Grab Bag I bought contains before choosing to make an Imagi-Nation. Germans are high on the list to develop, but I am kinda hoping for an exotically uniformed little army in the offing.

A bit early equipment wise, but I know there are ACW zouaves available in 54mm. They might be fun to mush up with late 1800s Egyptian Army and Sudan War Mahdist riflemen for a non-Western European inspired army.

Top Bottom