• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro [+]I'm starting to think I just want Toy Soldier games

RSDean

Validated User
I would second the recommendation for The War Games Companion. It's an interesting look at our little sub-culture's history... As for The War Game, it's a great read, but the rules look rather fussier than Charge! so we've stuck to the latter in play. I really should do a Grant game just to see sometime, though the "devices" are not something I find easy to whip up. Guess it'd be card templates rather than soldered wire canister cones for me...

So we left off four years ago, Bob, with a musing about simpler terrain. Any new thoughts about that? AGW is unapologetically going for a retro-aesthetic in the terrain photos in the book, but I like a little more of a contemporary look in my games, as can be seen in my blog pictures. Not to the full teddy bear fur grass level, and the latest game was played on an unenhanced felt base because I cut it to the size of the new table as we were setting up, but more than streams chalked on the table... (https://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-pair-of-games-preliminary.html)

I may end up doing something full retro-Wellsian, though, sort of like this:

I'm current accumulating some vintage semi-flat molds of late 19th/early 20th century figures of no consistent scale...

komradebob

Validated User
I ended up buying and painting up absolute gobs of Armies in Plastic 54mm minis ( and few other companies' as well) for 3 different periods ( AWI, Naps, and fictional late 1800s/early 1900s) ...and got exactly no games in :(.

I ended up giving away both the AWI and the Late 1800s stuff to friends' kids, but I held onto the Naps, hoping my buddy I gifted Brits and Prussians to would finish up his side of the project ( It really was just the Brits, which he started, but never finished). I may end up picking up AGW, simply because there is that small chance that this old friend and I may actually have time to meet and throw together a game someday, and well, if the Brits and Prussians aren't done, at least the French and the Russians are!

I really need to get back to some simpler terrain building. I have gobs of large pine trees on big bases from after X-Mas clearances ( repainted green over the frosty flocking), but that's about it for 54mm terrain. The rest should be easy enough to do, I just haven't done it!

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
You guys should have a look at a set of rules called a Gentleman's War : or Glossy Coats and Tin Bayonets. We've played three games now using 54mm toy soldiers and it's huge amounts of fun.
Lots of emphasis of the spirit of the game and enjoying yourself, I can heartily recommend them

komradebob

Validated User
You guys should have a look at a set of rules called a Gentleman's War : or Glossy Coats and Tin Bayonets. We've played three games now using 54mm toy soldiers and it's huge amounts of fun.
Lots of emphasis of the spirit of the game and enjoying yourself, I can heartily recommend them
[Points to post two up from yours]

Joking aside, I follow that group and the designer on FB.

RSDean

Validated User
You guys should have a look at a set of rules called a Gentleman's War ... We've played three games now using 54mm toy soldiers and it's huge amounts of fun.
Bob already teased you, so I won’t, but I am very interested in more about the games you’ve played. Any pictures online? Scenarios? Using the distinctions and the cameo roles? Your collection or someone else’s? Feeling inspired to paint? Tell us more ...

komradebob

Validated User
I'm also interested in your actual play experiences with this set, especially since the pdf is on sale for 25% off right now.

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
Sorry guys I completely missed those posts since I was fast posting at work during my lunch break.
My buddy has a large assortment of Britains toy soldiers, mainly Cowboys and he has a large collection of Old West terrain which he has amassed from Swap Meets and Toy Soldier fairs up and down the UK
He also has lots of Vintage Elastolin 40mm figures which we have used with the Lion Rampant rules set too.
However getting to the point, the Gentleman's War rules are a genuine breath of fresh air, the whole attitude is about rolling dice with friends in a civilized fashion and just enjoying yourself.
The rules are not difficult to pick up, work well, and seem to simulate the feel of the period well enough to me.
I've been Wargaming and Roleplaying for nearly 40 years and cut my teeth on the Airfix WW2 rules by Bruce Quarrie and have used many other sets of rules since but those, the original 40k Rogue Trader rules, and Gentleman's War honestly seem to capture the spirit I am looking for better than anything else.
It's made me think of doing Napoleonics and ACW and wanting to get rid of all my 40k/ Killteam/ Necromunda stuff simply because compared to these rules GW are such a grind.
I've been feeling more and more dissatisfied with the bigger companies offerings anyway but not really able to articulate what I didn't like about them.
I don't have any photos unfortunately, and realize this is all a bit stream of consciousness, as I'm posting at work again, but I'll happily answer any questions I can and will cheerily recommend any other gems I can find.
For example:
I'm currently looking at using Dracula's America for Western Gunfight, and just ignoring the Supernatural elements, and Seven Days to the River Rhine to do some 15mm Team Yankee type shenanigins.
Now I only need a 40k/ Sci -FI replacement and I'm sorted

RSDean

Validated User
Sorry guys I completely missed those posts since I was fast posting at work during my lunch break.
He also has lots of Vintage Elastolin 40mm figures which we have used with the Lion Rampant rules set too.
No problem. I’m checking in on mine...

I’ve been playing a fair amount of Dragon Rampant, these past two years, and some Lion as well. For Elastolins, one of my friends has an extensive collection:

More later...

Top Bottom