• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I'm super new to all of this.

Savior

So I'm really unfamiliar with this forum and what I'm doing in general. I'd love the idea of table top DnD and I have no one to play with/learn to play with. Is there somewhere I could play online? Or resources to learn how to play? Thank you so much for any help, it's very appreciated.

RPG_Wombat

ZIVEN la vida loca
Validated User
Welcome to the hobby, hope you have fun. For online games, there are "virtual tabletop" sites like Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc. If you check out games there, you should be able to find new player friendly/beginner games, I think; I don't really use those sites since I have in-person groups. If you have any questions about tabletop gaming in general, just ask and I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers here

Terhali

Serene Green Queen
Validated User
It'll help us help you if you share what you do know. Have you read any rulebooks?

There are play-by-post games on this site. It's different than playing in person or through a service like Roll20, but you can look at some games to get an idea of what they're like.

Daydreamer

Twin Son of the Bright Prince
Validated User
Chat can work for RPGs too; that’s how my brother usually plays. Some chat software can support virtual dice rollers.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For learning to play, if you have a little money to spare, the D&D Fifth Edition Starter Set boxed set is a pretty good introduction to D&D and role-playing games in general. It's USD $12.52 on Amazon right now, and it's one of the better RPG introduction boxes I've read.

As for finding groups, there's some online methods, and also some bookstores, game shops, comic shops, etc. have D&D organized play nights lately. You might not live near one or feel like trying it out with random strangers (I've personally kinda preferred to stick to teaching my friends to play or gaming with people I already know online), but just thought I'd mention it.

martian_bob

Existential brain-poop
Validated User
As for finding groups, there's some online methods, and also some bookstores, game shops, comic shops, etc. have D&D organized play nights lately. You might not live near one or feel like trying it out with random strangers (I've personally kinda preferred to stick to teaching my friends to play or gaming with people I already know online), but just thought I'd mention it.
I know an awful lot of people who don't have set groups at all, they just have a "home base" TTRPG store where they do Adventurer's League regularly with whatever group they end up with that week. Not for everyone, but certainly an option.

pdboddy

Used Register
Validated User
There are play by post forums here, where the folks are friendly and you can find people who'll help you with a game for new players.

There is also RPoL, which is dedicated to play by post forums.

If you want something that's closer to face to face tabletop gaming, there's Fantasy Grounds (which is a downloadable program) and Roll20 (which plays in your browser).

If you're brand new, and there aren't any gaming stores with space set aside for hosting RPGs, and you don't have anyone who's willing to play with you, I'd suggest one of the play by post options first to get a feel for how it plays. Once you got a bunch of sessions under your belt, you could then try one of the online face to face games.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I know an awful lot of people who don't have set groups at all, they just have a "home base" TTRPG store where they do Adventurer's League regularly with whatever group they end up with that week. Not for everyone, but certainly an option.
If you're a person who doesn't have an "in" on RPGing (aka a person who wants to add you to their table), then organized play in the form of Adventurer League is a good place to start if you're looking to play D&D. You can find the closest Adventurer's League using the group locator below.

(be aware, it defaults to Los Angeles, just change the location to where you are. )

However, not all Adventurer's League locations are on this map. Finding a local game store's Event section and checking if they have Adventurer's League (or other RPGing) is a good way to find a game.

Another place to check is right here for groups local to your area.

I'm not sure how useful that will be to you, but it's a quick place to check.

Daydreamer

Twin Son of the Bright Prince
Validated User
If we're talking about finding face-to-face groups, then another option is Meetup. That's where I found my current group. Most groups are focused on D&D and Pathfinder though some may be open to other games.

Top Bottom