• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative Imagine a modern day equivalent to Shadow Over Mystara

Conrad Gray

Validated User

The Capcom side-scroller is one of its finest '90s console beat-em-ups, full of character and fun. Imagine if a modern day sequel was made in the same style (drawn, retro controls). What would it look like for the various editions of D&D that have appeared since them? I'm trying to imagine how the heck 4th Ed. classes would play. And which setting would be the most fun for a simple console fighter.

Gyrfalcon

They said I was mad, MAD!
Validated User
Potential 4e setup --

DEFENDER classes are about reaction timing - specials that activate in response to enemy movement or attacks, getting improved damage, resistance to attacks, debuffs/juggling, or similar. Their raw stats and passives make them merely decent for casual play, but when handled by an expert who knows exactly where to position for incoming enemy waves they become very, very nasty indeed.

LEADER classes are about coordinating with other players - activating combos ahead of allies to increase their damage, range or area of effect. Taking one into single-player is a massive challenge (they're not totally nerfed, but either their powers affect themselves with significantly reduced effect, or buff an AI-controlled ally and are dependent on the AI not playing like a chump). Advanced players effectively swear by having one in a co-op game.

STRIKERS do damage in various forms, with a side order of single-enemy debuffs/juggling and tools to deal with environmental blocks that might damage or restrict movement. Most single-player speedruns involve a well-played striker.

CONTROLLER classes are about area attacks and all-screen attacks. They're good for not needing to aim, for clearing waves of weak mobs and allowing other players to take down thugs quickly. Casual play has them less useful against bosses, but every boss enemy has been programmed to take a hidden debuff when targeted by specific controller combo attacks.

MARTIAL classes button-mash, getting bonuses off using the same attack type in rapid succession. They have a reputation among casuals as being the easiest to play, among midrange players as being less interesting than other classes, among the most advanced players as being more subtle and skill-based than they seem.

ARCANE classes are the reverse of martial classes, having esoteric combos that can be versatile and effective once memorized. Where a Martial attack might be A-A-A-A-X, the Arcane attack is A-Y-X-LB-Y. They rely on forums and 'guide-dang-it' for best effectiveness.

DIVINE classes have short combo triggers, but also have their powers trigger off the positioning of enemies. A-X-B may be a powerful juggling attack if an enemy is very close to the character, a defensive shield at midrange, and a weak stunning attack at long range.

PRIMAL classes are all about maneuver+attack combinations. Left+attack gets something different than right+attack, and up/down+attack gets a third result. (Exactly what these results are is class-dependent; barbarian likes 'charge-towards-enemy-and-strike', druid is exactly the reverse.)

PSYCHIC classes combo their combos. The first use of a combo attack is little better than random button-mashing, the second and third uses in quick succession are at parity with other classes' normal combos, by the fifth use you're clearing away a large chunk of the final boss's health bar. The issue here is that there aren't many instances where you can effectively chain together that many combos; when you aren't missing a keypress two steps in, you're flattening all enemies in range three steps in. OTOH, the "TASBot Plays Battlemind" video is outright amazing.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Shadow over Mystara is quite possibly the best game.

If one were to attempt a modern incarnation I'd be tempted to take a few leaves from the Metroidvania school- not only do you have braches where you choose which level to do next, but within levels there are branches where going through a secret door or other passage will unlock an alternative path or extra loot.

You also can purchase better weapons and upgrade your specials as you "level up"- you earn gold and experience on different tracks, and at the shop after each level you can cash in both.

I think the "at will/encounter/Daily" model maps well to "attack/combo/special". Every class has a basic attack button, an "ability" attack button, and a Special attack button. So the Fighter for example might have:

Basic attack chain: do damage to dudes
Ability attack: hit a dude, knockback enemy
Basic/ability/stick move combo: small AOE, short stun
Special: a shield rush + beatdown attack for high damage, interrupts and has invulnerable frames.

This gives a player a beat stick who also sets up enemies for other players to beat down, and keeps enemies off their backs.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I have been clamouring for Pathfinder to do this for years. Adapt Rise of the Runelords and shattered star into Beat em ups. with Valeros, Merisiel, Ezren, Kyra, Harsk and Selirtiyel as the playable characters.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
How does Dragon's Crown stack up? I haven't played either much.
IMO, it's a fantastic fighting game, greatly inspired by D&D settings. It's not what OP is asking for, since it's not trying to follow D&D mechanics at all. The dwarf does a lot grabbing and throwing, the wizard summons helper wood golems, the barbarian powers up by blocking enemy attacks right on time, etc.

It's very fanservicey, and the aesthetics are not for everybody. (Watching the Sorceress' run animations fires up my empathy centers, because of how painfull the breast bounce looks. So I don't play as Sorceress or pick one for my party.)

I'm not sure it's still available, though. I played it on Vita, and thought about buying it for PS3 to play on a bigger screen, but it seemed gone from the PS store.

EDIT: It's not called fighting game in English, is it? That's for street fighter and similar one-on-one fights. Beat-em-up, then?

Last edited:

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
EDIT: It's not called fighting game in English, is it? That's for street fighter and similar one-on-one fights. Beat-em-up, then?
The usual terms used are 'beat 'em up' , yes. Sometimes 'brawler'.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
I'm not sure it's still available, though. I played it on Vita, and thought about buying it for PS3 to play on a bigger screen, but it seemed gone from the PS store.
I found it in the US store just fine for both Vita and PS3. The game was also rereleased for PS4 last year as Dragon's Crown Pro. The digital version of that is on sale for half price at the moment.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
I found it in the US store just fine for both Vita and PS3. The game was also rereleased for PS4 last year as Dragon's Crown Pro. The digital version of that is on sale for half price at the moment.
Right, the US store. I'm EU. Fucking region-dependent availability...

Sorry I misinformed y'all.
It's up for PS4 on the EU store too, so either I looked for it before the Pro version came out, or my PS3 filtered the PS4 results out.

Top Bottom