• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IMPERIAL ASSAULT: Which version do you like?

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
Out little group has started playing the main campaign on the Imperial Assault app.

I have to say I like it. It's moved IA to more of a MoM-style adventure - less commando skirmish wargame and more exploratory, with conversations. I like the encounters.

It has some oddities - I have the Hoth expansion so it threw in a Wampa...on a desert planet. No wonder it was angry!

Though my SO has a point - having a player being the Imperial is better from a gameplay perspective.

At this point we've only done the first two missions and an encounter - our first side mission just unlocked.

So, how are others finding it? I'm bit confused on couple of points, we scored valuable goods from the supply deck but there's no way to enter that for the extra credits.

And what expansions would people recommend? I'm thinking of skipping to Tyrants of Lothal so I have an excuse to pick up all the character packs.

Victim

Validated User
We've done the base and Jabba app campaigns, and are part way through the Hoth app mission with two new players; along with all the normal campaigns except Lothal.

The app does some stuff that's really neat, especially in Jabba. The actual gameplay isn't as good - you lose a lot not matching up against another player IMO, although it does feel like it has less potential to snowball. Although I think the item changes are great. The random BS powers that get added to enemies because they're not played by a person get pretty old IMO. The combined move+attack actions greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the value of Stun. Some heroes feel hurt by the skill rules, although I do think pacing out the 4 cost ones isn't a bad idea. The rest changes + softer time limits were probably a good idea too.

So the app is kind of like an imperial assault 1.5 that won't see print because of Legion, plus the AI stuff. The people in the IA skirmish community really hate that game, apparently.

But many of the app things are really gimmicky, and they love hidden set up stuff too much. IA is kind of a pain to set up - we generally want to do it in advance. Having to stop mid mission find additional tiles is annoying, especially when you need to do it multiple times.

Jabba and Heart of the Empire are both good IMO. Tyrants also has ways to better integrate the character missions into the game IIRC, although we haven't played it. Normally access to new ally or special enemy missions is pretty random. The other mini campaigns (Bespin and Twin Shadows or whatever) are probably the weaker campaign products.

Gadora

Validated User
So, how are others finding it? I'm bit confused on couple of points, we scored valuable goods from the supply deck but there's no way to enter that for the extra credits.
You might want to doublecheck the app's rulebook. Valuable Goods is one of the cards you're supposed to remove from the supply deck for the app.

Are you asking after expansions for playing exclusively with the app or also for playing with a human Imperial player?

Crumbs

Validated User
I use the app for playing solo only which it does just fine at that aspect. It is wonky at times though.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
This thread let me know there's new content in the app, which somehiw lead to me buying Tyrants of Lothal even though I *know* I'm moving soon 😅

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
You might want to doublecheck the app's rulebook. Valuable Goods is one of the cards you're supposed to remove from the supply deck for the app.

Are you asking after expansions for playing exclusively with the app or also for playing with a human Imperial player?
Both. I know my SO still hankers after playing the Imperial again.

And I ran through the demo stuff, but haven't read the rulebook - my tablet died and reading on my phone is a pain.

Gadora

Validated User
Both. I know my SO still hankers after playing the Imperial again.

And I ran through the demo stuff, but haven't read the rulebook - my tablet died and reading on my phone is a pain.
As far as figure packs, I really like the Alliance Smuggler ally (he's a two point Rebel who's mostly just along to open doors; can be a game changer, without flooding the board with more Imperials) and the Hired Guns are a nice buy for the Imperial (they're a pair of Rodians who are extremely disposable minions).

As far as boxed expansions go, I think Heart of the Empire is my favorite. It's got neat tiles and the new power token mechanic just feels really good to me.

Edit:
Legends of the Alliance rulebook said:
Remove the cards listed below from the Supply card deck and return them to the game box. Then shuffle the Supply deck and place it facedown in reach of all players.
Core Set: “Valuable Goods,” “Troop Data,” and “C1 Comlink”
Twin Shadows: “ Chance Cubes”
Jabba’s Realm: “ Pit Droid”
Tyrants of Lothal: “Locked Chest” and “Missing Key”

Last edited:

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
As far as figure packs, I really like the Alliance Smuggler ally (he's a two point Rebel who's mostly just along to open doors; can be a game changer, without flooding the board with more Imperials) and the Hired Guns are a nice buy for the Imperial (they're a pair of Rodians who are extremely disposable minions).

As far as boxed expansions go, I think Heart of the Empire is my favorite. It's got neat tiles and the new power token mechanic just feels really good to me.

Edit:
Oh, thank you! that's useful to know.

We have found one oddity - the app will place things in the wrong biome. Who knew that Wampas also liked hot, dusty, mountainous worlds?

Top Bottom