In and Out of Character Mechanics?

JerelLightning

Validated User
Are there better mechanics for this?

I this up and couldn’t find anything on the subject.

I’d like to see some sort of solid in and out of character mechanic, that lets players know that your out or in character, and that also reminds you that your in or out of character.

g33k

Validated User
In what context(s)?

On the forum here, you often see threads designated as "IC" and "OOC" and "Meta", for example.

At the table in f2f play, I've seen various conventions used; hold up a sign (with your PC's name on it) to make it clear the PC is speaking IC; or begin speaking with a brief phrase "I want to know -- that is, real-world Me -- If this game-world has any sweeter brews, something more mead-like, less beer-y; I'm a dwarf, so I WOULD know..."

LARP'ing, I've seen conventions such as "hand on the head" for OOC.

JerelLightning

Validated User
In what context(s)?

On the forum here, you often see threads designated as "IC" and "OOC" and "Meta", for example.

At the table in f2f play, I've seen various conventions used; hold up a sign (with your PC's name on it) to make it clear the PC is speaking IC; or begin speaking with a brief phrase "I want to know -- that is, real-world Me -- If this game-world has any sweeter brews, something more mead-like, less beer-y; I'm a dwarf, so I WOULD know..."

LARP'ing, I've seen conventions such as "hand on the head" for OOC.
I’ve actually figured it out already. Basically you hold up a green card which also reads “In character.” And then once everyone has seen it you can put the card down. Then you’ll put dice on the card to tell yourself and anyone else that your still in character. The same applies for being out of character, except that the card is red and reads out of character.

Top Bottom