• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Review] Anime series from 2000

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
Huh. I remember catching an episode of that "space war between the sexes" show on some random cable channel once, but I never learned what it was called until now. Unless there's another "space war between the sexes" show... I also remember hearing of Hand Maid May, but only so far as thinking, "Yep, that's quite the attempt at a pun there."

I think the other anime I caught on that random cable channel was some Street Fighter mini-series... Eh.

Shay Guy

Validated User
I've wondered before whether whatever supertech the Dude Planet uses to make its kids goofs up sometimes, pairing X with X instead of X with Y, producing freakishly deformed boys with missing parts who grow up to be shorter, with less upper body strength, weirdly high-pitched voices, bulges in strange places, and horrifying bleeding on a regular basis. For bonus points, what if such a "man" was on the ship that was boarded by the female pirates?

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've wondered before whether whatever supertech the Dude Planet uses to make its kids goofs up sometimes, pairing X with X instead of X with Y, producing freakishly deformed boys with missing parts who grow up to be shorter, with less upper body strength, weirdly high-pitched voices, bulges in strange places, and horrifying bleeding on a regular basis. For bonus points, what if such a "man" was on the ship that was boarded by the female pirates?
Probably not. The Doctor character had never treated a woman before this ep, and his unfamiliarity with the differences between men and women became a plot point in one episode - one of the bridge bunnies fainted while on-shift and wound up in his care. After some medical work, he came to the highly unnerving conclusion that somehow, the poor woman had some kind of mysterious, rapidly growing parasite growing in her abdomen. After bringing this to the Captain's attention, he was very confused when they explained what pregnancy was to him.

I have a great deal of fondness for VanDread. Yeah, it's got its serious dumb moments but it's got some interesting stuff going on, and it's a lot of fun to boot.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, after a couple days of interruption, let's try and get back on track...

[#37] Fighting Spirit (Hajime no Ippo)
(76 episodes, + 50ish episodes' worth of sequels and specials)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a sports manga that started publishing in 1989 and is still running.

Characters

Ippo, our protagonist. This shy and downright wimpy high school student always gets bullied, and it's getting worse. The paradox is that he's actually quite strong, due to helping out all the time at his mother's fishing shop (and doing the heavy lifting of shipping equipment).

His (single) mother would rather he spend more time socializing and having some actual teenage hobbies, but it's hard to tell him no when he's so earnest in helping running the struggling shop.

Takamura is some dude who rescues him after yet another attack by bullies, and gives him some first aid. As it turns out, he's debuting as a pro boxer, and impresses Ippo enough for him to take Takamura as a role model. Now, the guy is a bit wary about this kid aiming for a career in a brutal sport he has the wrong personality for, and makes sure to give him all the proper warnings. Ippo is undeterred.

Production Values

Good enough for this kind of thing. The source material shows its age a bit, as half the cast (including Takamura) rock "bad boy" pompadours.

Also, this isn't a show that papers over the violence inherent to boxing ; blood will be drawn several times an episode.

Overall Impression

Well, it's a sports show that doesn't really deviate from the usual formula. You know the drill. What it does have going for it is strong characters (I was especially impressed by how well-rounded Takamura was), and the acute sense that Ippo comes from a working-class background.

... On the other hand, I don't really care for boxing (especially as this looks like a mostly realistic take on the sport), and long-running sports series aren't something I'm looking forward to marathoning. This is a show that does everything right, but I don't find it compelling enough to keep watching it.

Last edited:

Shay Guy

Validated User
Probably not. The Doctor character had never treated a woman before this ep, and his unfamiliarity with the differences between men and women became a plot point in one episode - one of the bridge bunnies fainted while on-shift and wound up in his care. After some medical work, he came to the highly unnerving conclusion that somehow, the poor woman had some kind of mysterious, rapidly growing parasite growing in her abdomen. After bringing this to the Captain's attention, he was very confused when they explained what pregnancy was to him.
The double-X condition could be a rare and obscure disorder. :)

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
(I was especially impressed by how well-rounded Kimura was)
Kimura? Wasn't his name Takamura?

Also, this is one of my favorite mangas and now I want to reread it.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kimura? Wasn't his name Takamura?
Darnit ! That's an artefact of writing those reviews some time after actually watching the episodes, and getting confused by character listings. The error's now corrected.

Hopefully I didn't mess up that badly in the next one...

[#38] Gravitation
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a yaoi manga series.

Characters

Shuichi, our protagonist, is the "leader" of struggling rock group "Bad Luck". Like, it'd be a good thing if he could finally write a damn song that's not crap so that they can finally debut. He's your archetypal "uke" : short, a bit effeminate, whiny... the one who takes the "female" role in how yaoi writers imagine gay relationships are.

Eiri, a guy he randomly meets in the street, and who takes a few seconds to give some feedback on the song he's trying to write ("yup, it's crap, you should just quit"). As it turns out, he's a semi-famous novelist. And of course an archetypal "seme" : tall, controlling, and a bit of an asshole.

The plot kicks off when Eiri uses Shuichi to break off with his former girlfriend. So it's off to a great start, and I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful love story...

Production Values

For some reason, many early shots (as Shuichi arrives late to a meeting with his bandmates and their producer) are made with heavily filtered live-action footage. I'm not really sure why, especially as it gradually fades away without much rhyme or reason... It certainly contributes to the cheap-lookingness of the show, though.

Overall Impression

Ah, yaoi. A genre I have very little interest in, and it takes a lot of skill to make me watch it. Downplaying the abusiveness of its relationship would help, but this clearly isn't the plan here. So I'm left with characters I care little for, engaged in a plotline I'm more dreading than anything else. That's not really what I call a good time.

I'm not part of the audience here. And I get the impression this series is more known for popularizing its genre's clichés than for actually doing anything noteworthy with them.

Shimauma

Awaits the Ponylarity
Validated User
... On the other hand, I don't really care for boxing (especially as this looks like a mostly realistic take on the sport), and long-running sports series aren't something I'm looking forward to marathoning. This is a show that does everything right, but I don't find it compelling enough to keep watching it.
I don't much care for boxing either, but Fighting Spirit made me want to run out and hit people (in a brotherly, sportsmanly way.) It's a shounen sports anime with the typical 22 minutes of animation that covers 3 overwrought minutes of fighting, but the boxing matches are so damn riveting, one hardly minds.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
I don't much care for boxing either, but Fighting Spirit made me want to run out and hit people (in a brotherly, sportsmanly way.) It's a shounen sports anime with the typical 22 minutes of animation that covers 3 overwrought minutes of fighting, but the boxing matches are so damn riveting, one hardly minds.
Ippo is bleeding glorious. It starts strong, and just gets stronger. It's probably one of the best series I've watched, and I'm not a sports anime OR a boxing fan.

Top Bottom