• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Review] Anime series from 2000

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Erm, I remember Ayashi no Ceres being a trainwreck
Incest, IIRC.
... And there goes any interest I had in checking more of it out. :(

I mean, I'm not especially surprised, because shojo isn't particularly known for its healthy relationships, and the Ceres legend itself was plenty squicky already, but still...

Oh, well, there's always other shows to watch, such as...

[#27] NieA_7 (NieA under 7)
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a doujinshi manga by Yoshitoshi ABe (Serial Experiment Lain, Haibane Renmei). It seems a lot of the Lain staff worked on this to cool off.

Characters

Mayuko, our protagonist, is a teenager who can barely make ends meet. She lives in the attic of a bath-house she works a bit at to pay the rent. She'll spend much time and effort looking for discounted food. And that's why she's more than a bit annoyed by the antics of...

NieA, the freeloading alien who lives in her closet. (Aside from the pointy ears, she's mostly humanoid.) She's one of the many aliens whose mothership crashed on Earth some years ago ; most of which are now living in ghettos. Obviously they have no clue of how to get home, although NieA is technically proficient enough to scrounge together a working small flying saucer out of scraps... It's just too bad it needs to be connected to a ground line for power.

Chiaki, a classmate of Mayuko's. Now, the latter's not big on socializing (even having a drink is a luxury she can't afford), but Chiaki is persistent enough not to care. She's an UFO nerd who's delighted to learn about NieA.

Production Values

Despite being subtitled "domestic poor @nimation", this looks great ; tons of little details in the animation and the background that makes everyone look like real people. Yes, even the aliens.

Overall Impression

This is a great little show. It's clearly a blatant metaphor for "immigrants are just people, too !", but there's nothing wrong with carrying a strong positive message. Especially when the series is built on fun characters whose hijinks have great comedic timing.

This is every bit as good as I was hoping for given its pedigree, and I'm definitely planning on watching it in full soon.

Last edited:

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
[#27] NieA_7 (NieA under 7)
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a doujinshi manga by Yoshitoshi ABe (Serial Experiment Lain, Haibane Renmei). It seems a lot of the Lain staff worked on this to cool off.

Characters

Mayuko, our protagonist, is a teenager who can barely make ends meet. She lives in the attic of a bath-house she works a bit at to pay the rent. She'll spend much time and effort looking for discounted food. And that's why she's more than a bit annoyed by the antics of...

NieA, the freeloading alien who lives in her closet. (Aside from the pointy ears, she's mostly humanoid.) She's one of the many aliens whose mothership crashed on Earth some years ago ; most of which are now living in ghettos. Obviously they have no clue of how to get home, although NieA is technically proficient enough to scrounge together a working small flying saucer out of scraps... It's just too bad it needs to be connected to a ground line for power.

Chiaki, a classmate of Mayuko's. Now, the latter's not big on socializing (even having a drink is a luxury she can't afford), but Chiaki is persistent enough not to care. She's an UFO nerd who's delighted to learn about NieA.

Production Values

Despite being subtitled "domestic poor @nimation", this looks great ; tons of little details in the animation and the background that makes everyone look like real people. Yes, even the aliens.

Overall Impression

This is a great little show. It's clearly a blatant metaphor for "immigrants are just people, too !", but there's nothing wrong with carrying a strong positive message. Especially when the series is built on fun characters whose hijinks have great comedic timing.

This is every bit as good as I was hoping for given its pedigree, and I'm definitely planning on watching it in full soon.
On the strength of your review I decided to look up this series, and a quick google search lead to images of the leads - and I realized I'd seen them in art many a time over the years. On the list to check 'em out.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Love Hina was one of the first anime I watched more-or-less as it aired (and among the first I watched, period). I remember liking it specifically because it had energy. Motoko was my favorite girl.

I also miscategorized it as shoujo, which shows how much I fucking knew about Japanese cartoons back in 2000 A.D.
Hey girls! One day you too could be a moe archetype competing for the affections of a worthless nobody ;)

I enjoyed Love Hina at the time but I don't think I could re watch it in the context of the intervening fifteen years without throwing a table through the screen. That's technically not LH's fault but damn.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And now we enter the Summer season ! Which was quite small, really.

#28 on the list is something called DinoZaurs: The Series, which is apparently a sequel to a few OVAs that were bundled with a toyline that's also known as "DinoZone". Anyway, I couldn't find it, and I had no inclination to dig too much.

#29 is Medarot Damashii, the second season of the adaptation of the Medabots RPG videogame franchise.

------------------

[#30] Hamtaro
(296 episodes)

What's it about ?

The adventures of a pet hamster and his furry friends, adapted from a children's manga series that's still running.

Characters

Hamtaro, our protagonist. Tends to escape a lot from his cage, as he likes to explore his surroundings. Easily makes friends.

His owner is a nice little girl who just moved into a new neighbourhood and doesn't get much screentime yet. I'm sure she and her family will have room for more characterization later on.

Oxnard, a goofy other hamster who lives in the neighbourhood and apologizes a lot.

"Boss", a "field hamster" who built his own little underground nest nearby. He's a bit gruff, but seems nice enough once you get to know him. He's in love with...

Ribbon, a cute hamster who lives in a house nearby. She doesn't get any lines as Boss tries romancing her through the window... but it looks like it's Hamtaro who caught her eye. (Also, her owner makes friends with Hamtaro's in a subplot.)

Production Values

Perfectly alright. On the other hand, this is another show where I could only get the English localization... which clocks at 17 minutes instead of the usual 22. Even accounting for the absence of OP & ED sequences, it still makes me suspect some cuts were made... Although nothing immediately noticeable.

Overall Impression

That was quite cute. I can see how it got successful enough to run for six years : it's well made, the characters are fun to follow, and it has none of the lowbrow humour you often get from kids' shows. Even this setup episode was entertaining enough.

But not enough for me to commit to watching nearly 300 episodes. It's good at what it does, but I'm not really the audience for it.

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
I watched the localized version of Medabots when I was a kid, and rewatched it a year ago, it's still pretty fun.

Dawgstar

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey girls! One day you too could be a moe archetype competing for the affections of a worthless nobody ;)

I enjoyed Love Hina at the time but I don't think I could re watch it in the context of the intervening fifteen years without throwing a table through the screen. That's technically not LH's fault but damn.
Love Hina taught me the important lesson that that the girl I like will never win.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Love Hina taught me the important lesson that that the girl I like will never win.
One of the specific reasons I liked Motoko is that she didn't seem to be all that into Keitarou. (My shipping goggles were not nearly as finely calibrated back then as they are now.)

I was mildly upset when I learned that this was not reflective of the source material.

Top Bottom