[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2011

Dulahan

Validated User
Doesn't look like it. Mind you, I watched it raw, so I was mainly just looking at the really, really gorgeous animation rather than following the plot very closely.
Hard to say for this reason too. But there's a few more characters from the last one. So maybe not require, but certainly benefit big time.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
C3 - This show is weird, and I'm utterly uninterested in the characters, the plot, and the art style. Having heard some stuff about the radical tone swerve, though, I decided to look at it.

It's...odd. It feels kind of like it's trying to do something similar to Elfen Lied, in a way, only really toned down and filled with a host of extra annoying anime-isms.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
See, I read the posts on this thread, but now that I've actually watched the episode I have no idea what you're talking about.
It's the whining. It doesn't matter that the MC is decently heroic in his actions ; the problem is how much he keeps narrating about his impotence. It's just grating to listen to.

I don't know why anyone likes Guilty Crown; it's painfully generic (not even counting the similarities to Geass). Is it the shininess?
Yes. It's got style and good productions values, which helps a lot to carry over the plot problems and the uninspiring main character.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I don't know why anyone likes Guilty Crown; it's painfully generic (not even counting the similarities to Geass). Is it the shininess?
I don't know that I'd say I *like* it, but it's a Noitamina block show and it had good production values so I'm willing to give it another episode to show where it's going.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
I'm watching Guilty Crown mostly for the mecha, honestly. Well for now. It's in the Noitamina block, so at the very least it'll be pretty. And I rather like how all the mecha seem to be remote operated. You really dont see that all to often, even though it seems to be the way real warfare is headed.

I'm finding Ben-To a lot funnier then it has any right to be. I think it's how serious its treating the subject matter, combined with the obvious 'male eye' view of the protagonist.

Boku ha Tomodachi (Does it have an accepted nickname yet?) is rapidly showing why none of the two girls have REAL friends. :D

And it's not a new series this season, but DAMN did the last ep of Mawaru Penguindrum up the WTF meter.

Last edited:

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
Boku ha Tomodachi (Does it have an accepted nickname yet?) is rapidly showing why none of the two girls have REAL friends.
Haganai is the going term.

I'm liking it. That and UN-GO are the non-quel shows I'm following this season, and I'm still on the fence about UN-GO. Guilty Crown is pretty much relying on people mistaking its murkiness for depth.

I have the same problem, particularly with the male friend's turn on a dime from 'that's not true, that's impossible!" to "Evil Me is a pretty cool guy."
Well, I've played the game, so I knew what was going on, but what I got from that scene was that the Shadow said what it did and showed people talking about using Youske to break Youske's will, and make him see that, despite his denials, he secretly did see himself as an annoying, friendless loser that people were nice to only becuase his father was the manager of the local Wal-Mart equivalent. The MC's actions showed Youske that he did have a friend, a friend who had just seen and heard all the darker emotions Youske was hiding and still offered him a hand up, after punching him out of his funk. That allowed Youske the emotional strength to accept that the Shadow was telling the truth and integrate it into himself.

On the other point, yes, I do hope the MC does start speaking more soon.

K.

Top Bottom