[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2011

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Though it's failing on explainig why the main character doesn't have any. From the way everyone responds to him you'd think he looked like the Kurgan.
I thought it was pretty clear. He's got blonde hair. Like actually blonde, not 'I'm an anime character blonde'. Everyone thinks he's a juvenile delinquent because of that, not helped by the misunderstanding on the first day of class and his awkward social cues. At this point, he could rescue a puppy from a drowning river, and they'd think he's got something evil in mind.

In other anime news, Ika-Musume gets props for actually getting people who speak English for the native English speakers. WAY to few series actually do this, and it's a serious disruption to my suspension of disbelief when a native American isnt completely unrecogniseable.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I thought it was pretty clear. He's got blonde hair. Like actually blonde, not 'I'm an anime character blonde'.
The point is somewhat weakened by the fact that one of the two girls (the daughter of the headmaster) also has blonde hair, and nobody has said a word about it.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
Though it's failing on explainig why the main character doesn't have any. From the way everyone responds to him you'd think he looked like the Kurgan.
It would seem, from the camera angles and such used when showing his interaction with people in his class, that he has difficulty with not appearing menacing. It's just that Yozora and Sena are too socially maladjusted to notice.

KoboldLord

Validated User
The point is somewhat weakened by the fact that one of the two girls (the daughter of the headmaster) also has blonde hair, and nobody has said a word about it.
It's blonde with brown stripes, though. That's unusual for a natural hair color, and usually it means the person has had a bleach job that they're not bothering to maintain, so it's partially grown out. A while back bleached hair was a juvenile delinquent fashion in Japan, and the stereotype stuck even when the fads moved on to other things.

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
In other anime news, Ika-Musume gets props for actually getting people who speak English for the native English speakers. WAY to few series actually do this, and it's a serious disruption to my suspension of disbelief when a native American isnt completely unrecogniseable.
I was bracing myself for some serious Engrish shenanigans when the premise was established, and then almost fell out of my seat when I heard actual American English coming out of the American characters.

I still got the Engrish shenanigans, but not in the way I'd expected.

ecs05norway

Validated User
Yeah. I remember back in the old Sakura Taisen OAVs, there was a scene where two of the characters are trying to have a conversation in English... only their accents are /so/ atrocious and awkward that I could understand them better by puzzling out the Japanese subtitles of their "English".

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
Yeah. I remember back in the old Sakura Taisen OAVs, there was a scene where two of the characters are trying to have a conversation in English... only their accents are /so/ atrocious and awkward that I could understand them better by puzzling out the Japanese subtitles of their "English".
I watched the entire series of Black Lagoon and only figured out that the opening theme was supposed to be in english when I went and googled for a translation of the lyrics.

Jeph

生き物
Validated User
RE: Last Exile, and how things changed so much in two short years...

Spoiler: Show
Last Exile was set on a giant hourglass-shaped space habitat.

Silver Wing is set on Earth.

Top Bottom