[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2011

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
So after the second episodes of Guilty Crown and Un-Go, I'm thinking about dropping both. I liked that Guilty Crown went straight into another action episode instead of the downtime that usually follows an action opening, but the ending killed it for me. I pretty much hate all the characters in Un-Go and I think the story suffered from being an adaptation (it felt really compressed). This sucks because I can usually count on noitaminA for something good to watch. For this season, I'm down to Last Exile, Ben-to and Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukanai. The setting of Horizon still intrigues me, but if I get one more episode of nothing happening, it's gone as well. Oh well, guess I get to catch up on older stuff until January.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can't quite work out what the point of UN-GO is. Yay coverups? the only thing that's maintaining my interest is wondering what the deal with tranforming-geass-girl is, and the fact that it's quite well drawn.

Hatless

Banned
I can't quite work out what the point of UN-GO is. Yay coverups?
"Doing justice work in a creepy police state is difficult. (PS: The creepy police state is modern Japan)"

Like the X Files, if Mulder was Sherlock Holmes and Scully was the embodiment of all the world's sins.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
except that they don't do any justice, apart from some semi-pointless grandstanding.

(oh, and the failings of the modern Japanese justice system are many and awful, but efficiency is not one of them)

FortMan

Viva Romanesco!
Validated User
We gotta keep in mind that the setting is not modern Japan, but a post-catastrophe, Big Brother style police state. Both cover-ups lead to one thing, stability. Has the truth of any case come out, it could lead to dissent in the society. So they hired a spin-doctor (that's what he is) to take care of them.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Un-Go. Sure, the post-WWII serial numbers are not cleanly filed away as the creators would have hoped, but I like the concise storytelling. The characters are not as black-and-white as of usual anime fare, and there should be more reveal on them still. And I really like the Ending Credit. :D

Episode 2 spoiler:
Spoiler: Show
I kinda feel bad for the culprit , who managed to get fate worse than being arrested or killed for her crime.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been swamped with work this week, which left me little time to keep with this thread ; so let's try and take stock.

First, I'm surprised that there are very few shows I've dropped on their second week (checking again, it's just MajiKoi). Sure, there are a few I'm still on the fence on, and nothing that screams genius like, say, Mawaru Penguindrum, but I'm mostly enjoying the 14 (!) new Fall shows I'm still following. And half of them continue into Winter. Ouch.

Going by decreasing order of enjoyment...
Fate/Zero continues to be the best show of the new season, although kinda by default. Let's be honest, I'm not really interested in the Holy Grail War in itself (it's not as though I'm in great suspense about how it ends, after all), but it's fun to watch the various players trying to out-think each other (and Waver being way out of his depth).
Persona 4 isn't really an anime series ; it's a compressed walkthrough for a very good videogame. And I'm fine with that, really. The original is strong enough for the conversion artefacts not to be too bothersome.
Guilty Crown has flaws. While the protagonist was way more bearable in the second episode (thanks to toning down his whiny monologues a few notches, and thus making his final decision all the more effective), we are now subjected to some blatant fanservice that feels way out of place. But the series somehow carries through these hurdles, thanks to some boundless energy pulling the action sequences forward (despite, er, not making that much sense ; what were the odds of finding the exact weapon that'd save the day ?). I'm also pleased by the conclusion (which was heavily predictable if you pay any attention to the OP), because the ludicrousness of juxtaposing mecha terrorism and high school hijinks never gets old.
UN-GO has now made its point, which probably needed reasserting after a first episode that didn't make the dystopia look that bad. What it needs from now on is to set its protagonist on a path to subvert the system (and not in the ultra-pyrrhic way we got here). What it doesn't need is more "case-of-the-week" episodes hammering on the point yet again without moving things forward, but I fear we're getting them anyway.
Chihayafuru confuses me a bit. It's been a very good three-episode flashback with fun characters (and the last one might have managed to make me very slightly interested in the game !), but I'm not quite sure where we go from there. The obvious would be "Chihaya enters a tournament and finally reunites with Arata in the finals", but there are various other possible directions.
Working'!! really shouldn't be judged by its lackluster first episode. After that, we've been getting some very good comedy, and I'm glad some spotlight was given to some of the newer members of the cast, such as the Takanashi sisters.
Squid Girl 2, in comparison, is a bit uneven. Some of the skits just aren't that funny, even with surprise!Mini-SquidGirl (who's always adorable). Still, when it's on, it's hilarious.
Haganai has been a bit uneven too, but it's succeeded in making its obnoxious characters very fun to watch. It's obvious why those girls don't have any real friends, but they do play quite well off each other. And we do get some hints as to why the male lead isn't fazed by them, what with his "younger Kuroneko" little sister.
Future Diary hasn't entirely convinced me yet it's going to be as clever as it promises to be (it feels way to early too wheel out a terrorist taking the whole school into hostages), but the potential is still there.
Phi Brain is stupid. As I said before, it's "X-Treme Pr Layton", with park-sized magic squares and ridiculously elaborated death traps. But it manages to make me laugh with it instead of at it, and that's half the battle. It's just plain fun.
Bakuman 2 is, well, the same as ever. Most interesting when it delves into the nuts and bolts of manga production, facepalm-inducing whenever it strays into romance.

And now, the "still on the fence" list...
Ben-to shouldn't work. It's a very stupid premise, the fanservice level goes a bit too high for my liking, and it's already a bit repetitive. But the jokes hit home, the soundtrack is awesome, and I find myself wanting to keep watching it somehow.
Hunter x Hunter looks like it's taking the slot of "compressed retelling of a shonen classic that's easier to watch than a marathon run" left open by Dragon Ball Kai, but I'm not sure I'll keep with it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit bland.
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere is as dense as ever... and I'm not sure I should care about it. There are just too many characters I can't manage to keep track of, and nothing seems to have actually happened over the three episodes so far. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the 4th.

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
Considering that one of the people behind Guilty Crown is also responsible for Mai Otome and Seikon no Qwazar, I doubt the fanservice will lessen any. The juxtaposition between terrorism and high school hijinks is what killed my interest in Geas.

I expect that Un-Go will continue being episodic mysteries, since the premise appears to be about adapting older works into the show's setting.

Rogue 7

Dollars Member
Validated User
Persona 4 seems to me to be hitting a damn good stride- Episode 3 was firing on all cylinders, and they made some excellent decisions about putting certain bits in certain places.

Yu finally seems to be developing a personality, and it is one with a penchant for absolutely hilarious one-liners. I know "I think I'm gonna cry" was a game line, but "I should have taped it" I think was new, and caused me to absolutely burst out laughing.

I like what I think they're doing with the Wild Card- one persona for each arcanum is actually a really good way to go about it, and it lets them vary things up in terms of # of mons and keep the focus on Izanagi, who has fantastic animation- every time he's in shadow makes him look marvelously badass. Combine with excellent animation, and I'm totally down.

Edit: Oh, and the "All-out attack" cut in was effing brilliant.

Disclaimer: all of this is coming from the world's biggest Persona 4 fan.

Last edited:

dkellis

Validated User
Yu finally seems to be developing a personality, and it is one with a penchant for absolutely hilarious one-liners. I know "I think I'm gonna cry" was a game line, but "I should have taped it" I think was new, and caused me to absolutely burst out laughing.
I can't help but think that Yu somehow got P3tagonist's personality. As in, I can imagine the deadpan one-liners coming from P3tagonist, but not P4tagonist, who generally seems to react more strongly to events, even outside the dialogue choices.

I'm still hoping to see his reactions to the Fridge, the Meat Dimension, and Mystery Food X.

I'm curious how they didn't introduce Daidara yet, though. Is it because of TV standards, or are they saving him for later?

Last edited:
Top Bottom