• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2011

Dorchadas

一期一会
Validated User
Frankly, I didn't care, mostly because it was so boring. Most slice-of-life shows I've cared enough to watch either had a good sense of humour, interesting characters, or some other sort of hook. Kimi to Boku doesn't have any of this, it's just bland beyond belief.

But it's NOT the worst slice-of-life show of the season, because we also have...

Tamayura ~hitotose~

What's it about ?

Slice of life adventures about a group of high school girls in a backwater little country town. One of them's really into photography.

We already got a short series of OVAs about this last December ; this is a full-scale series that starts way back at the beginning..
Backwater? They should have set it in Geihoku or Takamiya, then. Takehara's at least on the train line out of Hiroshima. :p

Sad that it's so dull. When I was in Takehara last year for the Bamboo Lights Festival, they had ads up everywhere for the OVAs. Maybe I'll watch anyway just to see if I have a different opinion.

Rogue 7

Dollars Member
Validated User
I can't help but think that Yu somehow got P3tagonist's personality. As in, I can imagine the deadpan one-liners coming from P3tagonist, but not P4tagonist, who generally seems to react more strongly to events, even outside the dialogue choices.

I'm still hoping to see his reactions to the Fridge, the Meat Dimension, and Mystery Food X.
Yeah. I do feel like they're going with a slightly more blank-slate type than you'd expect from dialogue choices, but I feel like the thing runs into the "Shepard problem"- which personality is canon?

I'm curious how they didn't introduce Daidara yet, though. Is it because of TV standards, or are they saving him for later?
Maybe they just cut him for time? "Item vendor" is not a particularly important character in the game, and doesn't transfer all that well to anime.

Anglachel

10th level Vice President
Validated User
Yeah. I do feel like they're going with a slightly more blank-slate type than you'd expect from dialogue choices, but I feel like the thing runs into the "Shepard problem"- which personality is canon?

Maybe they just cut him for time? "Item vendor" is not a particularly important character in the game, and doesn't transfer all that well to anime.
Not only that but "guy who sells weapons to minors" is not going to be exactly politically popular in Japan. Remember Tokyo's "think of the children!" law that is supposed to have anime not corrupt minors or whatever. No way in hell are they gonna lose Tokyo as a market for this product.

d23

User Validated
Validated User
I think the cool thing so far about Persona 4 is -- he starts off without much of a personality - or really anything, and seems to be developing it as he gains 'stats' - it's a neat touch.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
The rest of his audience were hardly less appalled.
Reminds me of a scene from a Firefly episode. Zoe is explaining combat to someone, telling them how they have to stay out of sight and never let the enemy know where they are. Cue Mal running across the room, firing his gun and yelling, "Here I am! Come get me you bastards! Yee-haw!"

ZOE (deadpan): Of course, some folks have a different philosophy....

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dear gods, Thursday nights are murder. 5 shows on my schedule ? Urgh.
(For various reasons, it's usually Mawaru Penguindrum which gets the shaft, despite being by far the best of them.)

I was pleasantly surprised by what Guilty Crown did this week. Didn't see it coming at all. (That we get proper exposition about how the weapons extraction works also helps. As does it immediately being played for laughs. And we even get an explanation for the very unlikely coincidence last episode - sort of.)
Spoiler: Show
EPIC BACKSTAB !

UN-GO remains a bit wonky. You'd think starting a two-parter would allow the pace to relax a bit, but that just barely happens. It's all cancelled out by the need to introduce 7 characters for the new mystery, and I struggled a bit to keep track of everyone's relationships. (Although the cliffhanger twist was very obvious indeed.)

Persona 4 was a lot of fun this week thanks to Shadow!Yukiko, who got some hilarious lines. The format is getting a bit repetitive, though.

Haganai finished introducing the remaining members of the supporting cast. The only one I dislike is Index-lite, and she gets the least screentime. Crazy Scientist Girl is a lot of fun (I'm never gonna able to watch mecha fight scenes with a straight face again, am I ?), and even the crossdresser kinda works (mostly because the crossdressing is a side joke that happens after the actual introduction, so the character isn't defined by it).

From earlier this week :

Chihayafuru has finally finished its flashback ! Don't take it the wrong way, it was fun, but now the series can move forward... except, er, not this episode yet.

And that's pretty much it, as Squid Girl was on a skip week.

From last weekend :

Horizon baffles me. It's a very dense series, and stuff definitely happens this episode... except none of what I identified as "the main cast" actually had a hand in it. Because what we needed was more new characters stealing the spotlight. :)facepalm:)

Is Fate/Zero turning into Dragonball Z ? Seriously, the whole episode was a drawn-out fight scene where the fighters keep bragging about how awesome they and every one of their moves are, while bystanders also exposit at length about the same thing instead of doing anything. Fortunately Waver & Rider were there to shake things up a bit, otherwise this would have been barely watchable.

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
On the subject of TYPE/MOON animu, Carnival Phantasm was hilarious for fans and probably terribly confusing for everyone else. And it's getting a sequel!

Top Bottom