[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2011

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maken-ki!
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Fanservice harem series, combined with a panty-fighter plot.

Characters

Takeru, our perverted male lead. The big girls' high school in his hometown has just turned co-ed (wait, again with that plot ?), so he enrolls thinking this is the perfect opportunity to score. The problem is that nobody told him this was actually an academy for magic fighters (cue impenetrable magibabble about "Maken" and "Elements", whatever they are), and that things go a bit pear-shaped when he's asked to participate in a demonstration during the entrance ceremony.

Haruko, Takeru's childhood friend, vice-president of the student council and his dorm's supervisor. Typical tsundere material, trying to maintain her composure and showing definite signs of jalousy when any other girl approaches Takeru.

Kodama, a girl who recognizes Takeru as her sworn enemy because he bears a weird tatoo (and not because she knows him or anything).

Inaho, another girl who rushes to save Takeru (before Haruko can intervene) and claims he's her perfect partner. She then immediately moves into his room. Not to be left off, the other two immediately do the same. (It's a big room.)

Production Values

Between the camera angles and the character designs, it's physically impossible for the camera not to show any panties when it doesn't focus on faces. Seriously, at least one shot in two features prominent panties. To say it's gratuitous and distracting... would be completely missing the point of this series, really.

What did I think of it ?

Every season needs its terrible fanservice-fest, right ? Well this is Fall's. The plot is stupid, the fight scenes don't flow well because of the camera's fixation on panties, and the characters range from the flat to the utterly loathsome (urgh, the main lead...). There's nothing of interest whatsoever here, and the result is so contemptible it's not even entertaining in its awfulness.

A strong contender for worst show of the season.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Every season needs its terrible fanservice-fest, right ? Well this is Fall's. The plot is stupid, the fight scenes don't flow well because of the camera's fixation on panties, and the characters range from the flat to the utterly loathsome (urgh, the main lead...). There's nothing of interest whatsoever here, and the result is so contemptible it's not even entertaining in its awfulness.

A strong contender for worst show of the season.
So it's kind of like that Demon King Daimo series from last year, only without the initial promise?

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I quite liked it, but it's almost redundant to watch if you've played the game.
Yeah, that's kinda the impression I got : it feels more like a Let's Play than an actual anime series.

Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing ; the game looks cool as heck, and I'm probably never going to actually play it, so this is the next best thing.

So it's kind of like that Demon King Daimo series from last year, only without the initial promise?
Hey, that show was actually quite watchable ! Maken-ki plays in a completely different division of terrible. (Also, Daimao's protagonist had some charisma and a decent point. This one behaves like School Days's Makoto Itou at his worst. And I doubt we're getting the Nice Boat ending.)

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow. Can one character really be so loathsome in just one episode?
I may be exaggerating a little (he's not in any relationship yet, after all), but this is a guy who went to the recently co-ed high school to score. The actual curriculum ? Who cares ? Babes, dude ! He spends the whole episode with a goofy grin on his face as girl after girl throw themselves at him. A girl he's never met announces she's rooming with him ? Cool. Two other do the same in response ? Doublepluscool ! Sure, he's a bit uncomfortable with the whole magic fighting thing, but hopefully that won't be too much of a distraction of what's really important, right ?

Urgh. I can somewhat understand that the writers trying to give the male lead a personality (and sparing us the usually inevitable perverted wingman by making one completely redundant), but they've managed to make him utterly repulsive.

Okay, time for the one-week checkpoint :
I was already sold with the first season : Working'!!, Bakuman 2, Squid Girl 2
I'm hooked : Persona 4, Fate/Zero, Chihayafuru, Phi Brain, Haganai [5]
I'm not sure yet : Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere, Busou Shinki Moon Angel, Hunter x Hunter, Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! [4]
No thanks : You & Me, Tamayura ~hitotose~, Pure White Symphony, CxCxC, Maken-ki [5]

Premièring this weekend : Ben-To, Gundam AGE, Future Diary
Premièring sometime next week : UN-GO, Guilty Crown, Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing
It doesn't seem like anyone is going to sub this : Battle Spirit Heroes, Cross Fight B-Daman
Does this even exist ? Sengoku Paradise: Kiwami

Rogue 7

Dollars Member
Validated User
I quite liked it, but it's almost redundant to watch if you've played the game. Still, I'll confess, I marked out when Reach Out to the Truth started playing during the first fight.
Basically this. Honestly, a slavish adaptation that makes the fights all pretty and keeps the characters I love is A-OK by me.

Rainfall

Validated User
Indeed! I've been surprised at how insanely faithfull they are. The plot, the calendar... They kept the silent protagonist! and made it work! :eek:

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
Indeed! I've been surprised at how insanely faithfull they are. The plot, the calendar... They kept the silent protagonist! and made it work! :eek:
Honestly, the silent protagonist didn't work for me. It just made it very obvious that this was a game adaptation.

Rogue 7

Dollars Member
Validated User
Honestly, the silent protagonist didn't work for me. It just made it very obvious that this was a game adaptation.
Given how...well, the only word I can use for it is "power-crazed" Yu looked when he busted out Izanagi, I have hopes on that front.

Top Bottom