[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2011

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
So there's a line between Sorcery, which breaks normal Cause and Effect, and Magic, which breaks normal Possible and Impossible? Interesting. I take it the Grail was a bunch of Sorcerers bootstrapping themselves up to a full on Magic effect. Only because Sorcery still has limits and rules there's all sorts of conditionals on it, and human greed means the once polite contest to see who was most deserving has turning into an all out war.
Pretty much - although at times the divide is pretty academic. Several characters have been able to do things like STAB IDEAS TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE, and that isn't magic - Death is the normal end of things, so it's an unusual route to the possible, and thus isn't Magic.

Also, there are only Four Mages alive, and only three know active, although it's possible in universe to touch the edges of a magic (one of the scenarios has a character re-create the Mystic Code of the Second Mage, which allows limited replication of his magic). All the Mages also use Sorcery, as Magic tends to be pretty focused.

And we havn't even touched on the Marbles/Boundry effects!

pwsnafu

Validated User
Pretty much - although at times the divide is pretty academic
Sort of. Sorcery (aka magecraft) is always attainable, that is, if you have a magic circuit, with enough training and dedication it is possible to attain that ability. You kind of "grow" a new stem on your circuit. Of course some abilities are similar to others, and hence why specialization exists.

(True) Magic is different. Magic has an extra (unstated) requirement which makes mages special. A crude oversimplification is to say all sorcery can (theoretically) be replicated by technology (eg. Tohsaka's telephone/fax machine thing) because it does not break the natural laws.
It is implied that accessing the "swirl of the root" is a requirement for true magic, but that doesn't explain Rin.

In canon, the Mage's Association recognizes five and only five magics. Nasu Kinoko has implied there is a sixth.

What have previous winners done with it, and why haven't those previous winners used thier wishes to put themselves/their families on top of the pile?
As I understand it, there are no previous winners.
The first "war" was not a battle, but three mages trying to summon the holy grail (third magic), which resulted in failure (didn't work properly).
The second war resulted in failure because the rules weren't worked out properly.
The third war summoned Avenger the eighth servant class. Since then the Holy Grail has been corrupted.

The Grail comes around every X years (didn't catch the number).

7g. Wait, by my count I'm missing one. Who am I forgetting?
Weber's superior and master of lancer: Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi

2. Some time ago (a hundred years ago?) three wizarding families got together to summon a wish-granting object called the Holy Grail from Elsewhere.
Their reasons were different though. At the time the three wanted to open a portal to Akasha. Currently only Tohsaka is interested in that. The other two families want to bring back the Third Magic. Note that the Einzbern family mastered it long ago, but lost it.

Last edited:

Scholar and a Brutalman

Validated User
Boku wa Tomodachi ga sukunai - Heh. It shows promise; I'm slightly worried it'll lose its sharpness as the cast fills out, but we'll see.
From what I've read of the translated novels and the manga adaptation, it doesn't. Though it becomes increasingly clear why most of the characters don't have any friends.

Jinx999

Validated User
IIRC, although I can't remember if it's fanon or canon, you need to feed the energies of six servants into the grail in order to power it up enough for a wish, which is the reason for the whole mess.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just watched the first Chibi Devi! episode, although I don't feel like making a full review. It's yet another flash-animated 5-minute web-thingie. The premise : a bullied, lonely high-school girl suddenly gets a baby-devil dropped on her. Basically, Beelzebub without the delinquent angle... Frankly, there's not much of interest there. The protagonist is boring, the jokes aren't original (or funny), and it barely gets anywhere.

As skippable as any the recent similar stuff.

nightwyrm

Validated User
IIRC, although I can't remember if it's fanon or canon, you need to feed the energies of six servants into the grail in order to power it up enough for a wish, which is the reason for the whole mess.
It's canon. Basically, when a servant dies, its energy is suppose to goes back to the Throne of Heroes which is a part of the Akasha. The Holy Grail captures that energy before it goes back and once it has the energy of six dead servants inside, it uses that energy to bore a hole to the Akasha.

Do Deca Hedron

Nice day for a wedding
Validated User
I very much like the ED in the second Fate episode, with all the Servants as they were when they were alive. That was a nice touch. And Alexander is such a fun guy

And Caster and his Master looks to be just as much fun as he was in the light novels. I can't believe that the anime actually went out for Caster to intone 'Cthulhu ftaghn...' when he did his spell. That was just great :p

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I broke down and watched the second episode of C cube last night (darn, there's really a dearth of anime series airing on the first three days of the week...).

Well, it's certainly a different (and bloodier) direction than what I got of the first episode... but the key point is that the characters are still oscillating between blandly boring and irritating as heck, most of the jokes fall flat, the villainous woman has no charisma whatsoever (she reminds me of the worst Index villains, who rely on a semi-cool shtick to try and hide that they have no personality beyond "cackling evil"), and the main plot isn't particularly innovative or interesting.

And it's quite weird to see Silver Link's direction quirks, which were played for comedy in BakaTest, being used on serious scenes here.

So yeah, not interested in watching any more of this.

(I also watched the second episode of Chihayafuru, which is a nice continuation of the previous flashback, but still leaves me clueless about the actual series' direction - or how they could make competitions of this very boring game worth watching in the long run.)

testuo01

Banned
It's canon. Basically, when a servant dies, its energy is suppose to goes back to the Throne of Heroes which is a part of the Akasha. The Holy Grail captures that energy before it goes back and once it has the energy of six dead servants inside, it uses that energy to bore a hole to the Akasha.
Ah, one thing; It's not six Servants- With six, you only get a wish-granter, and unleash the corrupted 'contents' of the Grail upon the world. If you want REAL COSMIC POWER, you need seven Servants. The difference is between getting a wish, and claiming the ability to pull off miracles on command.

Spoiler: Show
This is why, later, Tokimi is very reluctant to use Command Seals. When he wins the War, he plans to use them to command Gilgamesh to commit suicide, thus fulfilling the requirements. In a very real way, the Servants are being tricked: None of them are going to get their wishes, if the Master is serious about the Third Magic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom