• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2012

polutropon

Banned
K really wants to be 'X, the unlicensed continuation', doesn't it? Starting with the title, which is exactly as close as a letter can be to an X without actually being one.

I am ok with this.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
BTOOOM!
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Battle Royale with bombs.

Characters

Sakamoto is one of the world's top players of BTOOOM!, an online FPS whose distinguishing feature is that your only weapons are bombs (of various types : contact-triggered, timed, etc.). The downside to his virtual fame is that, well, he's a bit of a complete loser : unemployed for two years and spending all his time in front of his computer. Bonus points for verbally abusing his poor mother, who has the audacity to keep trying to find him a job, any job. (He's got his eye on an opening at the game company producing BTOOOM!, but if he really believes he has a chance, he's deluding himself.)

One day, he wakes up stranded on a tropical island, without any clue as to how he got there. (An eventual flashback shows that MIB seem to be involved, always a bad sign). His starting inventory : his grocery shopping from just before he got abducted, a starting set of 8 timer bombs, and a jewel incrusted into his hand that seems to work a bit like the sonar feature in BTOOOM! (except a lot less accurate).

The first dude he meets on the island's beach never bothers to introduce himself, and point blank refuses to explain what's happening to the n00b. Instead, he just attacks our protagonist with impact-triggered bombs.

Later on, our hero stumbles on another participant, a girl washing herself in a small lake. I suspect she's his briefly-mentioned in-game wife, although if this show has any sense of humour that was probably the earlier dude. Anyway, she doesn't even get a line of dialogue yet ; the next-episode preview suggests it's entirely devoted to her backstory. (Are we having rotating point-of-view characters ?)

Production Values

Perfectly alright, although the girl's character design is very fanservice-y indeed. Let's hope she doesn't poke anyone's eye out.

What did I think of it ?

How can you hate a show so refreshingly honest about its nature that it's called "BTOOOM!" ? This is a thoroughly dumb premise that's fodder for nicely tactical action sequences and lots of explosions. The unsubtle bits of social satire aren't unwelcome, either.

Ontological mysteries can often get a bit silly, and with only 12 episodes for an still-ongoing manga I doubt we'll be getting many answers, but so far I'm tentatively enjoying the ride.

-----------------------------

Busou Shinki
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Cute sentient dolls action figures doing cute things.

Characters

There's a token generic dude who owns the show's starring dolls, but he's so superfluous and lacking any personality that he disappears offscreen for most of the episode.

Not the three main dolls have much personality either. There's the generic main one, the jerk and the pushover who likes maid outfits. They spend most of the episodes "comically" unpacking the guy's stuff after they just moved back into Tokyo. They meet a fourth one in a park. A fifth one shows up at the end of the episode.

Frankly, it's a pain to describe such bland characters, especially as they do virtually nothing for 24 minutes.

Checking out the cast list on ANN is utterly depressing, as it promises appearances by dozens of other dolls, in what looks like a catalog of nearly every currently at least mildly popular voice actress. I'd hope they at least get a decent paycheck for this, but considering how the numbers are in favour of those merely being glorified cameos...

Production Values

Mostly okay, although be advised that the dolls are in leotards (and thus don't wear pants). Fanservice isn't too obnoxious, though.

What did I think of it ?

Oh gods please shoot me. This isn't awful, but it's terminally boring if you're not an action figure fetishist. This was really a chore to watch to the end, and I'm not wasting any more of my time on another episode.

Which is disappointing, considering how the short ONA was actually decent and had semi-interesting ideas (although Angelic Layer did it better a decade ago). None of which are on display here, leaving just a empty pile of nothing. Avoid.

Foodbunny

Habitual Linestepper
I watched the raw of the first episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure today. It's so faithful to the manga that I didn't need a translation at all. While the quality of the animation clearly shows that this is meant to be a long running show, and so stills are maybe overused for things that aren't action sequences, the show was so true to the wonderful spirit of the manga that I was, frankly, over the moon in love with it.

And it has Roundabout by Yes for an end theme. So yeah, I'm fangirling hard.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
And it has Roundabout by Yes for an end theme
what

K really wants to be 'X, the unlicensed continuation', doesn't it?
I don't know about the show's writers, but that's what I want it to be. I want it to be that really badly.

edit: Holy shit, there is no possible way this show can maintain this level of stylishness. This is way too cool for school.

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Could they have tried a little harder not to have BTOOOM!'s protagonist be saved by pure plot? I mean, the point of explosives is that you only have to get close. Multiple explosions that are a few feet away barely seem to phase him.

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
K really wants to be 'X, the unlicensed continuation', doesn't it? Starting with the title, which is exactly as close as a letter can be to an X without actually being one.
The logo (the letter K back-to-back with a reversed K) looks an awful lot like the letter X with the roman numeral for two in front of it.

Foodbunny

Habitual Linestepper
If you are unfamiliar with Jojo, the entire manga has wall to wall references to western rock and pop, from the 60s up until today. Many of the characters and/or their powers have the names of bands or specific songs. So Roundabout was really the most perfect choice possible.

MadMac

Validated User
I've hit the inevitable falling behind stage. I'll probably not get around to watching half the first episodes of these shows for two weeks.

Top Bottom