• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Fall 2012

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
Sakamoto is one of the world's top players of BTOOOM!, an online FPS whose distinguishing feature is that your only weapons are bombs (of various types : contact-triggered, timed, etc.).
Even in the current video game market, saturated as it is with boring, samey first-person-shooters trying and failing to distinguish themselves from the crowd by using stupid gimmicks, this idea is quite possibly the dumbest concept I've ever heard of. Hearing that idea for a game immediately convinces me that the writer doesn't actually know much about FPS games.

I mean, let's just put it out there: Does this game feature Bomb Jumping as a mechanic? Because that sort of thing seems to be an inevitable development for any game that features explosives anymore. (And it would be morbidly hilarious to see somebody try to replicate that sort of thing.)

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I mean, let's just put it out there: Does this game feature Bomb Jumping as a mechanic? Because that sort of thing seems to be an inevitable development for any game that features explosives anymore. (And it would be morbidly hilarious to see somebody try to replicate that sort of thing.)
I don't know what bomb jumping is. The limited amount of information we get on the game suggests that the focus is on stealth through an urban landscape and trying to maneuver your opponent into traps and blind alleys where they can't run away from the bombs.

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
I don't know what bomb jumping is. The limited amount of information we get on the game suggests that the focus is on stealth through an urban landscape and trying to maneuver your opponent into traps and blind alleys where they can't run away from the bombs.
It's like rocket jumping. But with bombs. :p

Put simply, it's an incredibly common quirk of video-game physics - using the knockback from an explosion to launch yourself further than you could otherwise jump. This sort of thing showed up in older games (i.e. Metroid) but it really became common with first-person shooter's in the mid 90's, to the extent that it's now an official game mechanic in certain games (Team Fortress, Tribes, etc.).

It's the sort of thing that works because not only can your own weapons knock you back further and faster than you could otherwise jump, you have hit points and regenerating health so the damage is just a temporary setback.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Even in the current video game market, saturated as it is with boring, samey first-person-shooters trying and failing to distinguish themselves from the crowd by using stupid gimmicks, this idea is quite possibly the dumbest concept I've ever heard of. Hearing that idea for a game immediately convinces me that the writer doesn't actually know much about FPS games.
It sounds like a take on the classic Bomberman series, which isn't exactly strong FPS fare, but I wouldn't put it past some company trying to shovel it into the format because they'd licensed an engine.

Yeah, definitely Bomberman, and similar "trap-laying" games.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's the sort of thing that works because not only can your own weapons knock you back further and faster than you could otherwise jump, you have hit points and regenerating health so the damage is just a temporary setback.
It's a good thing that the BTOOOM! game doesn't seem to have this mechanic, then. Either you manage to avoid the bombs, or you lose. Like Shadowjack says, very Bomberman indeed.

(But then, we also see an in-game sequence where our protagonist somehow manages to grapple an opponent and lodge a bomb into his mouth, which I hope is a high-difficulty feat.)

(Reviews of JoJo and the latest siscon-show-with-a-ridiculously-long-title coming as soon as I recover from helping my Dad get rid of years of accumulated random crap before moving.)

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had a hard time getting past the first five minutes.
Ditto. And this was the same for the next show on the list...

Just because you're my brother doesn't mean there can't be love ! (Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

The title says it all, doesn't it ?

Characters

Akiko, our protagonist, has just moved to her brother Akito's high school dorm after six years living apart. (The reason why they've been separated for so long, or indeed whether they have any parents at all, is left unstated.) For some reason she's madly in love with him, and tries to sex him up at every opportunity.

To Akito's credit, he's completely baffled by this, and tries as tactfully as possibly to push her advances away. Well, until ten minutes into the show, where he stops being subtle.

Because this premise gets annoyingly repetitive already by the halfway point, the show spices things up by adding three other female roommates : the brash tomoboy with an inexplicable eyepatch, the emotionless deadpan snarker, and the nice one. Because lazy storytelling, all five of them are somehow make up the student council.

Production Values

It's a shame Silver Link get wasted on animating this crap, because at least they're making it look decent. Well, aside from the numerous close-up on female thighs. (Boobs aren't forgotten either.)

Overall Impression

Oh dear gods please shoot me. Akiko is thoroughly annoying within mniutes of showing up on screen, and stays that way throughout. I suppose this show is slightly better than its ilk for making its central point that everyone thinks that Akiko's obsession is ludicrous and unhealthy. The problem is that the joke is barely funny to start with, and certainly isn't anymore by the hundredth time it's hammered home.

A comedy show that's dreadfully unfunny. Avoid.
(But then, as someone who actually has a younger sister, I get the feeling I'm not in the audience for those siscon/brocon shows and just shouldn't bother with any of them.)

-----------------------------

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken)
(26 episodes)

What's it about ?

Ridiculously hot-blooded family feuds in late 19th-century Britain.

Characters

Jonathan Joestar, aka the titular "JoJo". The teenage heir to a rich family, he's mostly a nice guy, but a bit of an entitled brat (and has his fair share of "what the hell, hero ?" moments).

Dio Brando, son of a man who "saved" (i.e. "was about to steal the gold teeth of") Mr Joestar Sr's life more than a decade ago, and thus is welcomed like a second son after Daddy dies. He's much more liked than JoJo, in part because he does outwardly behave better than the true son, but mostly because he's an EEEE-VIL conniving bastard who does everything he can to undermine JoJo's reputation. This includes alienating his friends, stealing his kinda-girlfriend, and burning his dog down. Just in case you had missed that he's supposed to be EVIL.

Production Values

Wow, old school ! The original manga got published in 1987, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was already looking retro by then. The quality is kinda crap, but since it's a parody anyway it doesn't matter.

Overall Impression

It's hard to explain exactly why this show is so mesmerizing. It's not subtle, and very stupid indeed, but the joke works. Can it support 26 episodes ? Maybe if it lives up to the "bizarre" of the title, and gets to be weirder than the very pedestrian plot we get this episode ; which is fine for a setup episode, but I was kinda expecting more, you know ?

Still, I'm giving it a couple more episodes to find its feet.

-----------------------------

With its second episode, From the New World jumped to the top of my to-watch list. I certainly didn't expect it to feature an insane emperor, competitive ball-rolling, and rat-people, but the writers still managed to make those disparate elements feel like coherent world-building. I have no clue where this is going, but I'm definitely in for the long haul.

(Coming up next : reviews of Little Busters, CØDE:BREAKER and the third shoujo romance show.)

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken)
(26 episodes)
<snip>
Wow, old school ! The original manga got published in 1987, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was already looking retro by then. The quality is kinda crap, but since it's a parody anyway it doesn't matter.
Heh. Parody. Heh. Let us know what you think again by episode 3.

MadMac

Validated User
All right, I'm a little bit caught up now.

Middle-School Disease whatever is ok. More then a little predictable, but watchable.

JoJo is interesting, super-retro character designs (With Authentic 80's animation quality!) and overblown drama not withstanding. Some douchebag kissed his almost girlfriend! Now neither of them can ever be married! Even the Victorians weren't nearly that prudish, geez. Given the source material I'm sure it gets very crazy later but right now it's pure cheese and that's okay. They certainly aren't frontloading the animation budget. How long is this supposed to run?

Tempest is an incomprehensible trainwreck with very high production quality. Apparently there was an accounting mix up this season and most of the animation budgets went to the least promising shows. I'm going to keep watching but I can't imagine this digging itself out of the hole is started in.

Btoom is probably this seasons show that starts sorta maybe promising and then ends up being awful for reasons it has no excuse for.

I'll get around to watching K as soon as Viz's player starts actually working for me. Not even going to bother with "Incest hooks have become so trite and boring we threw in a generic harem and an eyepatch chick and hoped that was an improvement somehow".

Also steering well clear of "Boring Dolls with Famous Voices!" thanks to this thread.

Top Bottom