• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In Which I Review] New anime, Fall 2013

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The only gripe I have about Coppelion, and it's minor, is why send them in wearing their school uniforms? Would not jeans and boots or sneakers, at the least, prevent legs getting scraped up? I just wonder if regular clothes are too much of a hard sell to editors or whomever.
High school girls in anime possess more clothes than their school uniforms!?

P.S. Trousers; good one.

Last edited:

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
High school girls in anime possess more clothes than their school uniforms!?

P.S. Trousers; good one.
I should note it doesn't even bother me to the point of 'I'm not going to watch this! This is absurd!' or something. For some reason, though, it's started to become one of those minor points of irritation in some shows.

Minor foibles aside, Coppelion is pretty cool - I bailed on the manga because of the pacing - but here's where having a limited number of episodes can help a series. It's also incredibly lush looking.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I believe that in Coppelion, the absurdity of having school girls in uniforms traipsing around like they're on a field trip while everyone else is wearing heavy hazmat suits is entirely intended.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I believe that in Coppelion, the absurdity of having school girls in uniforms traipsing around like they're on a field trip while everyone else is wearing heavy hazmat suits is entirely intended.
This is most likely true. I dunno, it was just a thing.

Jeph

生き物
Validated User
Coppelion was gorgeous, and interesting enough to keep my attention despite being kinda slow. Looks like it's gonna be a sorta vignettes-against-a-stark-backdrop kinda deal?

I liked Kyoukai no Kanata quite a bit, but then I've always had a soft spot for the bog standard demon hunter setting and am a huge fanboy for anything produced by Kyoto Animation. The humor hit the right notes, liked the characters; I expect it to be fun and solid if not quite revolutionary :)

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I'm just wondering why they waited 20 years to decide to go look for survivors.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, Kyousogiga. I won't be giving it a full review of it, since they basically started by re-airing the pilot from about two years ago (see my original review here).

Now, I'm actually looking forward to it getting a proper series : the pilot's main issue was that it needed to slow down just a tad, and give some room for the plot and characters to breathe. The few short mini-episodes we got a while ago showed that there was a lot of depth to be explored in this setting. It's fun, and the hyper-kinetic animation is a joy to watch ; let's see what can be done with 10 more full episodes.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
KILL la KILL
(24ish episodes)

What's it about ?

HOT-BLOODED ACTION !

Characters

SATSUKI KIRUIN, student council president of HONNOUJI ACADEMY, where the story is set. She's the TOP DOG around, with even the teachers knowing better than to challenge her (having her mother on the board helps). She has set up a strict hierarchy inside the academy (and the city enclosed within its walls), and has distributed POWER UNIFORMS to the underlings she judges worthy.

IRA GAMAGORI is one her four main lieutnants, and the one in charge of day-to-day DISCIPLINE. Some dude has sneaked in to steal a ONE-STAR UNIFORM, that gives its wearer super-strength ? Well, TOUGH LUCK for the little punk, as Ira has a THREE-STAR UNIFORM, and intends the make an EXAMPLE.

RYUUKO MATOI, our heroine. This BADASS just transfered in and wants to ask Satsuki QUESTIONS about who killed her father. Her only clue is HALF A PAIR OF GIANT SCISSORS that she's always carrying around. Unfortunately, even she can't beat the Head of the Boxing Club with a TWO-STAR UNIFORM, and she barely manages to escape.

MAKO MANKANSHOKU, a MOTORMOUTH innocent student who takes a liking to Matoi after our protagonist beats up her little brother and his gang (who were trying to rob her). Obviously Mako's quickly taken HOSTAGE by Satsuki and her goons to force Matoi to come back into the open.

THE INDECENT COSTUME is found by Matoi by chance (?) in her family house's basement. It BARELY COVERS ANYTHING, but that won't stop it from forcing itself on her. Also, it talks. But whatever : Matoi's now got her own set of SUPER-POWERED CLOTHES, and can strike back. Go for ROUND TWO !

There's also a MYSTERIOUS TEACHER hovering over the fringes of the plot and doing stuff like discreetly guiding Matoi towards the costume. Since he looks BADASS when he takes his glasses off, I assume he's important.

Production Values

Very rough-looking, but with hyper-kinetic action when it matters. If you've watched Gurren Lagann, you know what to expect : dynamic camera angles, artful shot composition, omnipresent chiaroscuro, and giant captions all over the screen. Sometimes the background characters devolve into barely-animated caricatures, but that's part of the charm, and it does have impressive animation when it counts.

Neither the OP nor ED sequences seemed ready for this first episode ; the ED song just plays other a stylized rendering of the title.

Overall Impression

Probably the most hyped show of the season : the triumphant return of Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt) with his new studio Trigger, on their first actual series after little appetizers such as Little Witch Academia. (Let's just politely ignore Inferno Cop.) How does it measure up ?

The good news : it works. It's outrageously stupid, of course, but it ties together into a coherent whole despite its wild excesses. There is masterful storytelling at work here, introducing a dense setting and plenty of charismatic characters, while keeping every single shot visually interesting and shoving in as many sight gags as possible.

Everything I expected it to be, and then some. A complete success.

-----------------------

Golden Time
(24 episodes)

What's it about ?

Romantic comedy, set in college.

Characters

Banri Tada, our provincial protagonist, is just entering a law college in Tokyo. He's more than a bit overwhelmed by the big city and his newfound independance. Fortunately, he finds a twin soul with...

Mitsuo "Yana" Yanagisawa, who's having some of the same troubles. While he is Tokyo-born, he's cut his links with his family and transfered to this average college instead of the prestigious elevator academy he was previously attending. All this to escape from...

Koukou Kaga, his clingly childhood friend. Unfortunately, his efforts are for naught, as she immediately finds him (she's rich and has many powerful connections) and transfers with him. She sees his attempts to avoid her as "him just being a tsundere", although I'm not entirely sure how delusional she is. Somehow, Tada is a bit attracted to her, despite the crazy.

Chinami Oka, a random innocent-looking student in their group, looks like another potential love interest. It's not like she seems to have any other reason for her prominent introduction.

But it's Nana "Linda" Hayashida, a senior from the Festival Club, who makes the strongest impression on Tada, when she rescues him from the numerous clubs attempting to recruit him.

Production Values

Perfectly okay for this kind of thing. The ED song's quite catchy.

Overall Impression

Well, this is a bog-standard romantic comedy, already busy setting the various possible options. And there's nothing wrong with that : it's perfectly pleasant, most of the main characters have some charisma... well, except from the protagonist, who's a bit bland so far.

It's a decent start, and I see myself sticking with it for the long haul unless the season is way too busy.

Top Bottom