• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2011

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
put it this way: when the titles finished I paused the video, watched the 1st season OP on youtube, then continued to watch the rest of the episode.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wolfwood2 said:
To be fair, there was never really 'romance' in any kind of typical sense.
Sorry, communication failure there. What I meant to say is that The World God Only Knows works best when it's nastily lampooning the clichés of the galge genre and playing up Keima's sociopathy (and fortunately we got plenty of that in this first episode of the new season). But when it asks me to take the psychological issues of its heroines seriously... sorry, no can do. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Steins;Gate #2 was a lot of fun, with Okarin's SAN taking a nasty beating over the course of the episode (not that it started very high). The introduction of three new weird characters feels a bit contrieved and random, but hopefully from now on the pacing will smooth itself a bit.

A Bridge to the Starry Skies (Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi)

What's it about ?

Generic dating-sim adaptation.

Characters

Kazuma, our protagonist, is moving back to the countryside with his sickly little brother for the latter's health's sake. Cue every single dating-sim cliché happening to him.

The girls... There's the one he slips onto and accidentally kisses, her outraged best friend, the maid at the inn they now live in... and, for the older ladies lovers, the owner of the same inn, whose behaviour verges on sexual harassment.

Production Values

Minimal. The backgrounds are okay, but the character designs are horribly generic and same-y.

Overall Impression

Zzzzzzzzzzz... Excuse me, I nearly fell asleep there.

I'm amazed they're still making those. Fortune Arterial at least had a hook by mixing in vampires, and Yosuga no Sora had the sick-and-wrong twincest ; this, on the other hand, has no selling point whatsoever to distinguish it from the myriads of other dating-sim adaptations. It's so incredibly generic that it hurts.

What's the point, honestly ?

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Yeah, it went downhill -fast-. Like all of a sudden they swapped the protagonist with one from a generic accidental pervert harem show, complete with violent overreactions. At least he had a few moments of competence until his magical clothing-destroying powers were revealed.
Well, after the first ep I was wondering why this was on a late night time slot. We have our answer now, dont we?

To be fair, the clothes destructions seems more of an artifact of the world rather then something only he can do. They're elite warriors, unlike the mooks. That's effectively armor. Note how his clothes got destroyed after the fall. And then we get the typical harem antics. *shrug* Didnt need it, but at least the male character isnt giving the typical male harem lead vibes. And a staff instead of a sword? Will wonders never cease.

I'm a bit more willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt after I learned a lot of the staff behind Nanoha are in this one. Admittedly, the other reason is I find the female characters utterly adorable when they wag their tails. Something about it just hits my 'daaaaaaw' button. Anyways, is it me, or do we have a LOT of Nanoha expy's going on here? The two leads resemble Caro and Erio. Leon looks like she stole Subaru's outfit, and Bardiche while she was at it. Fate's a fox girl. So on...

MadMac

Validated User
Something about it just hits my 'daaaaaaw' button.
Truly a mystery, that one. "Something" indeed...Does Hatsune know you've been watching other dog girls? :p

Seriously though, I haven't watched so I don't have an opinion, really.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Better question would be 'Does Eruru know about Hatsune?' but that would just make me look like I have a problem.

...I CAN STOP ANYTIME.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Tiger & Bunny #2 was a lot less cynical than the first episode, which I found a bit disappointing. Still, nice world building and characterization for the two leads.
I finally watched this. I really liked it, but I think that's because I'm a sucker for when superheroes act compassionate. This episode established that Tiger is a genuinely good guy, despite his flaws, and it's okay to unreservedly root for him. I also like that Barnaby/Bunny is a smart, clear-headed thinker who in some ways deserves to be in charge of the partnership.

They definitely need to be careful with the balance of cynicism on this show. Too little and we lose its edge and interesting hook. Too much and we lose the question, "But if they do some good, isn't the game and fame part justified in the end?"

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Anyways, is it me, or do we have a LOT of Nanoha expy's going on here? The two leads resemble Caro and Erio. Leon looks like she stole Subaru's outfit, and Bardiche while she was at it. Fate's a fox girl. So on...
...wait, we're doing what now?

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
Sigh...I'm not just imagining that there was a time she was given mostly good/decent roles, am I? Lately it seems like every non-sequel casting she's in has been absolutely dreadful.
Her character in Hidan no Aria is pretty much the same as well.

Is it me or was the female client in Azazel-san an expy for Sazae-san?

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal
(?? episodes)

What's it about ?

A loser boy's adventures into the world of EXTREME trading-card gaming, with fight scenes in a fancy holographic parallel world and an ethereal guide to advise him.

Characters

Yuma, our middle school protagonist with improbable hair. He has a strong tendency to get into challenges way over his head, which makes him a bit of a laughing-stock considering how often he fails. He wears a weird "key" pendant about which he has bizarre dreams about metaphorically unlocking his potential or something.

Mizuki, his generic love interest who generically supports him despite his repeated failures.

Tetsuo, his fat "friend" who's a bit of a jerk but doesn't seem that bad a guy ("It's n-n-not as if I l-like you or anything, Yuma !"). Admire his 1337 skateboard, yo !

Kamishiro, a cackling pointy-haired bully (who never walks around without his yes-men posse) who has just punked Tetsuo out of his deck. Yuma can't resist challenging him, of course.

Production Values

Alright for what it is, I suppose.

Overall Impression

My knowledge of the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise is limited to the Abridged series, but this looks so close to the formula (minus the Egyptian-themed weirdness) that I can't help yawning.

As a toyetic show for kids, I guess it's alright (it's at least more competent and engaging than last season's Cardfight Vanguard), but I have absolutely no interest in this.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
(11 episodes ?)

What's it about ?

A loser boy's adventures into the world of EXTREME trading-card gaming, with fight scenes in a fancy holographic parallel world and an ethereal guide to advise him.

Characters

Yoga, our college protagonist with realistic (if messy) hair. He works two part-time jobs to make ends meet, although that doesn't amount to much given the current economic crisis. At least he's sensible about his expenses.

Hanabi, Yoga's not-girlfriend who still supports him quite a bit. (But when he works up the courage to ask her out for dinner, she points towards her boyfriend, who's waiting for her. Harsh.)

Masakaki, the supremely irritating dude who makes Yoga an Offer He Can't Refuse and. Just. Won't. Go. Away. The offer involves unlimited funding, with the provision it has to be spent in the Financial District... which does not look like a real place but some rather like sort of parallel digital world. Yoga eventually relents.

We spend most of the first half of the episode with the former owner of Yoga's membership into the Financial District... and considering how he ends up jumping in front of a train, we can see the Deal does not always end well.

We also see various people in the Financial District, including a quirky cab driver, a couple of elf-like girls, and the badass dude who creams out Mr (Rail-)Roadkill in a duel.

Production Values

Impressive. The Financial District has obvious CG everywhere, but it works, as it makes it all the more otherworldly. I also like the snazzy effect when subtitles and the like are incrusted on screen.

Also, there's some very cool Taku Iwasaki music.

Overall Impression

Umm. On the one hand, it's certainly got some very good production values, and I like the grim description of our protagonist's life. It's a very atmospheric series indeed.

On the other hand... Well, the centerpiece of this episode has two characters in a glorified Yu-Gi-Oh-style duel, summoning virtual critters and launching spells to hack at each other's life points bank accounts.

I'm not sold yet, really.

Next up : writeups for the first episodes of Denpa Onna and AnoHana. Hidan no Aria will have to wait until this evening, I could only watch so many shows this morning before going to work.

Top Bottom