• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2011

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I caught the second episode of Sket Dance, and it was very disappointing. Neither of the two segments were much entertaining, and there was far too much excited shouting instead of actual funniness. I'll give the series one more episode to convince me not to drop it.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko ("Electromagnetic Wave Woman and Adolescent Man")
(12 episodes ?)

What's it about ?

A standard harem protagonist who did not get the memo that he was in a SHAFT production.

Characters

Makoto Niwa, our protagonist. In a reversal from the usual cliché set-up, he moves from the countryside to the city, which he hopes'll allow him access to more than the few girls at his former school. Fortunately he keeps being sidetracked by the weirdness around him, so he's not too annoying.

Meme Touwa, his aunt, with whom he moves in at the start of the episode. She seems to purposefully cultivate her looks and childish personnality to look younger ; and it works, as I wouldn't have pegged her as 39. Her more bizarre trait, though, is how she deliberately ignores...

Erio Touwa, apparently Meme's daughter. Or an alien, if one believes the nonsense she keeps babbling. She spends most of the episode wrapped inside a mattress, looking like a sushi roll. Which somehow doesn't prevent her from ordering and eating pizza.

Production Values

This is actually remarkably free of SHAFT-isms, aside from Makoto often tilting his head backwards. As a result, it's quite bland-looking.

Overall Impression

Meh. It's far less weird than I'd been given to think, which is quite disappointing. While there's some good comedic timing here and there, a lot of jokes are just lost in translation, and it's just not very funny. The romance angle's not very interesting either.

I'll probably persevere with it for a couple more episodes because I've discovered myself to be a huge SHAFT-whore (see also : me sticking with Maria Holic Alive despite loathing it), but this isn't a very promising first episode.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai ("We still don't know the name of the flower from that day")
(11 episodes ?)

What's it about ?

Six kids used to be joined at the hip way back when, but now they've drifted apart. Can they come back together ?

Characters

Jinta "Jintan" Yadomi, our protagonist, who used to be the leader of the group but has now become a loser high-school dropout. It progressively becomes obvious why as the episode progresses.

Meiko "Meima" Honma, who keeps nagging him while being adorable. [SPOILER : her death years ago triggered the group's dissolution]. Jinta figures he's suddenly seeing her because of stress, but she acts far too real to be an hallucination (although he's the only one who can see her, causing much awkwardness to ensue). It's not clear yet how she died, the (numerous) flashbacks only show her running away and never coming back.

Naruko "Anaru" Anjo, whose metamorphosis from a mousy glasses girl to a member of the popular cliques is something to behold. Jinta keeps claiming she doesn't like him, despite much evidence to the contrary (and her tsundere-lite denials only fool the both of them). The flashbacks even suggest that her jealousy about Jinta is the indirect cause of Meima running away.

Atsumu "Yukiatsu" Matsuyuki and Chiriko "Tsuruko" Tsurumi are the "successful" kids of the bunch, now enrolled into the local prestigious high school instead of the dump Jinta doesn't attend. He despises what Jinta's become ; she's a bit more sympathetic. They're obviously a couple.

Tetsudo "Poppo" Hisakawa used to be Jinta's sidekick ; now he's a lot more confident in himself and has taken over the group's old hideout for his own purposes.

Production Values

Quite nice looking, and the various characters' body language are very well done indeed.

Overall Impression

Now we're talking. This isn't Hanasaku Iroha, but the characters are well developed and feel real, which is essential for such a series. While there's an obvious direction for this to go (Meima's ghost helps the group to rekindle their friendships, Jinta to put his life back together, and sets him up with Naruko so that he can finally move on), it's still a compelling journey and I'm in for the duration.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's directed by the guy who did Ghost in the Shell and Eden of the East
Wait, what ? SAC and Eden of the East were directed by Kenji Kamiyama. [C] is directed by Kenji Nakamura, who worked on neither... but did direct Mononoke, of which I've heard good things.

([C]'s also got the main screenwriter/script supervisor from Baccano! and Durarara!!, which also tinkles my interest.)

MelanisZbri

RPGnet Member
Wait, what ? SAC and Eden of the East were directed by Kenji Kamiyama. [C] is directed by Kenji Nakamura, who worked on neither... but did direct Mononoke, of which I've heard good things.

([C]'s also got the main screenwriter/script supervisor from Baccano! and Durarara!!, which also tinkles my interest.)
Grr... I was told otherwise. Shit.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
C is a darker, edgier Yugioh.

I'll give it two more episodes.
Of course, "darker" is a guy jumping in front of a train to committ suicide and our protagonist deciding to steal money when a 'bank error' provides the opportunity. Things are happening that would never happen in show like Yugioh, and that gives me hope.

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
I thought Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko to be very shafty (new word!) and I was cracking up the whole time watching it. I also really enjoyed Ano Hi Mita etc. (we need an official abbreviation for this one fast). This may put my watch list higher than I can actually keep up with. Not sure on [C] yet. I'll have to give it another episode or two before deciding.

Cruciger

let's straight talk
Of course, "darker" is a guy jumping in front of a train to committ suicide and our protagonist deciding to steal money when a 'bank error' provides the opportunity. Things are happening that would never happen in show like Yugioh, and that gives me hope.
I don't know, Yu-Gi-Oh! was pretty dark and edgy for its target demographic. I mean, in one of the climactic moments of the first season the hero is willing to let a classmate commit suicide so he can win a card game. The main issue was that the card battles slowed the show's pace to a crawl and were very rarely visually or dramatically interesting.

If the director of Mononoke is behind C, that gives me a little hope, since Mononoke was so tautly paced, but cynicism alone doesn't make a show watchable.

SunnyD

Banned
Well yeah, but if you read the reviews in this thread, you'd think it were just another Yugioh show.

Thus, darker/edgier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom