• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2011

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Deadman Wonderland was good. I would be worried about it going south on me and turning into, I dunno, 'Gantz meets Oz' but I don't think we have to worry. At least I hope not.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Moshi Koukou Yakyuu no Joshi Manager ga Drucker no Management wo Yondara (Moshidora) ("What If a Female Manager of a High School Baseball Team Read Drucker's Management ?")
(10 episodes, aired on weekdays over the next two weeks)

What's it about ?

Well, the title says it all. An anime adaptation of a best-selling light novel that's basically an infomercial for Peter Drucker's Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices.

Characters

Minami, our protagonist and new manager of the high school baseball club. She used to be quite good at the sport, but quit years ago because of a yet unclear incident that made her hate it. Anyway, she buys Drucker's book by mistake while looking for some documentation on what she's supposed to do, and proceeds to read it because, hey, what the heck, she spent the money and had better get some use of it.

Yuuki, Minami's best friend for years and former manager of the baseball club. She's got some chronic illness that put her in the hospital (with scheduled surgery down the line). Obviously she was in no shape to continue with the club, which is why Minami pitched in and takes it very seriously.

Ayano seems to be the assistant manager or something. Very shy, she doesn't make much of an impression so far.

We don't get to see too much of the actual baseball players yet, beside that they're not much good and only a few are motivated enough to even come training. The pitcher only sees baseball as a line on his resumé for his future business, and so on.

Production Values

Below average. There's no flair whatsoever to the directing, the animation's cheap, and the soundtrack is so generic it hurts.

Overall Impression

Ouch. This is even worse than I was expecting. Low production values, exposition through omnipresent narration that never lets you forget that this adapts a novel, no attempt to conceal the blatant advertising for Drucker's book, one-dimensional characters... and of course it's baseball, one of the few sports I have zero interest in.

And yet... it's a sports anime, and I'm a sucker for those due to being brought up on the likes of Captain Tsubasa and Attacker You !. I'm still quite curious about how a general "Management" book could be of any use for a sports team : the "Mission Statement" stuff this episode was already straining it a bit, how is the next chapter of "Marketing" going to be relevant ?

So yeah, I'm going to keep watching it mostly for the novelty value. And it's going to be over quickly anyway.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
Stein's Gate continues to be hilarious. Okarin is a great protagonist, and Kurisu is an excellent foil. My current bet is that John Titor is actually Okarin, but I guess it's possible that might not be the case.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Stein's Gate continues to be hilarious. Okarin is a great protagonist, and Kurisu is an excellent foil. My current bet is that John Titor is actually Okarin, but I guess it's possible that might not be the case.
By the way, are you aware that John Titor was a real thing? That is to say, there really was a guy on the internet about ten years ago who called himself John Titor and claimed to be from the future. It's really interesting seeing a show play with a bit of extremely modern mythology like that.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
By the way, are you aware that John Titor was a real thing? That is to say, there really was a guy on the internet about ten years ago who called himself John Titor and claimed to be from the future. It's really interesting seeing a show play with a bit of extremely modern mythology like that.
I wasn't, but I looked him up on the internet after seeing episode 2 or so. There were a serious number of hits.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Stein's Gate continues to be hilarious.
Word. It's incredible how nearly nothing happens in this 4th episode, but it's still hugely entertaining thanks to the witty dialogue and impeccable comedic timing. (Mamoru Miyano is doing one of his best performances ever with Okarin.)

In other news, I gave up on Dog Days with episode #4. I realized I just don't care about these characters and their PG wars, especially as the show kept introducing new ones with barely a shred of personality between them.

The World God Only Knows S2 #3 surprised me with a sudden and welcome return of the plot, after a long string of Possessed Girls Of The Month. The show is always at its most enjoyable when Keima gets to be cynical and genre-savvy, and we got that in spades here as he instantly saw through Haqua.

Top Bottom