• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2011

MadMac

Validated User
Played by Rie Kugimiya, of course.
Sigh...I'm not just imagining that there was a time she was given mostly good/decent roles, am I? Lately it seems like every non-sequel casting she's in has been absolutely dreadful.

While there's been a few gems so far the Spring Season is beginning to feel like a bit of a letdown. They all do, I suppose. It's during the last month that all the crappy shows fade away and you only remember the good ones.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Naoya, the first dude Judith bumps into, and who just happens to be ideal boytoy material (of course he does !), so she immediately snags him up. The OP suggests his relationship with Lotte will be a lot more genuine than just "source of lifeseed for Lotte to suck", although to be honest she's got much more chemistry there with his little sister. (Also, some of the dialogue suggests he's much older than Lotte. Eek.)
I checked wikipedia, since I figured I probably wouldn't be watching this show. That's not his little sister.
Spoiler: Show
That's his daughter. Conceived with Lotte's mother. When he was 12 years old.

So... yeah.

KoboldLord

Validated User
Jhiday said:
I was assured that the manga it came from wasn't that bad and very tongue-in-cheek.
I have learned that people who say this sort of thing about a suspicious-looking show are not to be trusted, and if I do investigate on my own I will find that the show surpasses my most dire imaginings. I almost feel guilty watching reviewers like you forcing yourself to watch.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sigh...I'm not just imagining that there was a time she was given mostly good/decent roles, am I? Lately it seems like every non-sequel casting she's in has been absolutely dreadful.
She was Shannon in Umineko no Naku Koro ni, wasn't she ? Although the show itself had its problems, her performance was good, and outside her usual loli pigeonhole.

Wait, that was nearly two years ago. Hasn't she got any decent new role since then ?

While there's been a few gems so far the Spring Season is beginning to feel like a bit of a letdown. They all do, I suppose. It's during the last month that all the crappy shows fade away and you only remember the good ones.
Remember that due to the earthquake/tsunami situation, quite a few shows were delayed. There are 8 more (non-sequel) series scheduled to premiere over the next couple of weeks, most of them quite anticipated. Also, subs for either Showa Monogatari or Hyouge Mono have yet to materialize, and those two shows had quite a bit of potential.

I almost feel guilty watching reviewers like you forcing yourself to watch.
Don't worry, I have a high tolerance for crap, and I've watched at least one terrible show per season over the last couple of years (Kampfer, Ookamikakushi, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, Yosuga no Sora, Freezing...). I'm even entertaining the though of sticking with Sengoku Otome for the lulz (and because nearly nothing airs on Tuesdays).

That's not his little sister.
OH DEAR GODS ! Er, yeah, thanks for the spoiler. Now I can see this show has no redeeming value whatsoever. Just, eek. How does this stuff even get published in "mainstream" publications ?

Cruciger

let's straight talk
OH DEAR GODS ! Er, yeah, thanks for the spoiler. Now I can see this show has no redeeming value whatsoever. Just, eek. How does this stuff even get published in "mainstream" publications ?
I've read some of the manga. Here's what's going on:
Spoiler: Show
Lotte's mom basically raped Naoya when he was 12, then came back and pawned the child off on him. When they later met, he thanked her because it allowed him to have his daughter.

Naoya is an ridiculously really sweet and innocent character. He seems to adore the younger characters paternally rather than romantically, which the only thing that keeps the series from descending into complete filth. So far he's shown more attraction to a gay dude than towards any of the female characters.

It's still a really creepy series, though. There's stuff to love in there even if you ignore all the bits aimed at pedophiles, but there are a lot of bits aimed at pedophiles.

EDIT: I checked out the first episode of the show and it looks very unpromising. So far it's poorly-paced, full of ineptly-executed gags, and most of all completely charmless. So yeah, I'll second your "avoid" recommendation.

Last edited:

MelanisZbri

RPGnet Member
Hen Zemi (Abnormal Physiology Seminar)
(13 half-length episodes)
I learned a bit more about this from the podcast of Otakugeneration where the resident expert explained that the show is based on a couple of OAVs - so I went off to take a look.

The OAVs are refreshingly comedic in that they are utterly upfront with the various fetishes they discuss but also manage to not push things into pure gross out. And, as per OG, they avoid the self-congratulatory titillation that most ecchi and even most hentai get wrapped up in. It actually reminds me of bits from the one Sociology class on sexuality I took (minus the prof being a total pervert creep). I just hope the show can walk that narrow path without becoming something worse than Freezing or KissxSis. Seeing as how the other sexuality-as-topic show looks to have been utterly gutted, I have hopes for this one.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yesterday was the premiere of The World God Only Knows, Season Two. It's basically more of the same, although on the upper range of the series : the jokes mostly work, and there's some very good use of Keima's genre savvy for comedic effect. The romance's still as terrible as ever, but it's not too annoying in this first episode.

Fireball Charming #2 was a bit more miss than hit this time around, although Drossel's acrobatics were very good-looking indeed.

I watched the second episode of Battle Girls - Time Paradox on a whim. It's still as baffingly inept as ever, but it does have a certain charm in a "so bad it's fun" way. I still have no clue why Oda is indulging Hideyoshi's antics, though.

Toriko
(?? episodes)

What's it about ?

The greatest hunter/"meal ingredient gatherer" is on a quest to track down every ingredient ever, selecting the best for the perfect meal.

Characters

Toriko, our huge, barrel-chested, impossible-proportions protagonist. The opening theme tune suggests he's stronger the more he eats, and given all he devours in this episode alone, I can believe it.

Komatsu, our viewpoint character, a cook from a famous restaurant who commissions Toriko to seek out rare ingredients for them. He's mostly there to provide exposition.

And... that's it so far, aside from the various beasties they encounter on their trip, and a few villains mysteriously plotting in their lair (although that's got no impact on the plot so far).

Production Values

Standard Sunday-morning-shounen fare (i.e. barely adequate) with very generic character designs.

Overall Impression

Was there supposed to be any kind of hook here ? This "first" episode leaves me with no reason whatsoever to keep watching : it's ugly, the characters are annoying, and mostly I just don't care. The jokes about Toriko mangling proverbs weren't funny when Sailor Venus did that shtick two decades ago, and the whole thing is very boring.

Exactly as bad as I had expected.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Was there supposed to be any kind of hook here ? This "first" episode leaves me with no reason whatsoever to keep watching : it's ugly, the characters are annoying, and mostly I just don't care. The jokes about Toriko mangling proverbs weren't funny when Sailor Venus did that shtick two decades ago, and the whole thing is very boring.

Exactly as bad as I had expected.
Interesting. Toriko seems to be the new shounen battle hotness, though the only thing from it I've personally seen is the crossover with One Piece in my last issue of Shonen Jump. Seemed entertaining enough, as things go. Maybe it takes a while to get rolling?

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Yesterday was the premiere of The World God Only Knows, Season Two. It's basically more of the same, although on the upper range of the series : the jokes mostly work, and there's some very good use of Keima's genre savvy for comedic effect. The romance's still as terrible as ever, but it's not too annoying in this first episode.
I'm going to watch that tonight. To be fair, there was never really 'romance' in any kind of typical sense. Despite the skeeviness of the premise, Keima's capture missions are always about about acting as a therapist to resolve some emotional problem for the girl in question more than courting them. I'm really looking forward to season two because it's going to start digging into the manga's overall 'mythology' storyarc about what these runaway spirits actually are and why they call it 'New' Hell.

One thing I'm dreading, and you can tell me, is that I'm sure the OP can't possibly be as awesome as the first season. It was catchy, appropriate, and managed to sum up the show's themes perfectly. ('Love is such a sweet illusion... Anyone can be a hero or heroine...)

I watched the second episode of Battle Girls - Time Paradox on a whim. It's still as baffingly inept as ever, but it does have a certain charm in a "so bad it's fun" way. I still have no clue why Oda is indulging Hideyoshi's antics, though.
Jon over at Project Haruhi has really been talking this show up in blog posts, so I watched the second episode as well. I think my favorite bits were the conversations with the dog and the 'explanation' for where babies come from in an all-female world. (Though I'm sure that in the telling of the Scarlet Armor legend in the previous episode, the original owner was definitely depicted as a dude.)

I've decided that Oda knows a lot more than she's saying and is using her reputation as a 'whimisical, goes-by-her-gut lord' to avoid revealing she knows exactly where Hideyoshi is from. Shiro the dog shows that Hideyoshi isn't the first dimensional traveler in these parts.

MadMac

Validated User
One thing I'm dreading, and you can tell me, is that I'm sure the OP can't possibly be as awesome as the first season. It was catchy, appropriate, and managed to sum up the show's themes perfectly. ('Love is such a sweet illusion... Anyone can be a hero or heroine...)
It's not as good as the original, but it's very much in the same style.

Top Bottom