• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2012

Ikselam

a heavy bear to cross
Validated User
I keep waiting for that rock in Natsuiro Kiseki to suggest that the main characters sign recording contracts with it and become magical girls idol singers.

This is only aggravated by the fact that I can't unsee the orange-haired girl as Cure Black.

I'll have to stop being so down on Yuki Kaji. (Well, aside from him picking all those "wimpy loser" roles, as he's clearly got a lot more range than that.)
It seems likely that Yuki Kaji isn't really in a situation where turning down work could be considered prudent, no matter how typecast the role.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey, remember the Young Animator Training Project ? Basically, it's the Japanese government funding the training of a new animators over a set of 4 one-shot episodes ; the 2010 edition was apparently a good enough experiment for it to be renewed in 2011 ; the 4 new episodes aired in March and are now slowly trickling down through the usual channels.

The first one, Buta, was mostly forgettable. Anthropomorphized-pig samurai in a very generic story that's perfectly decent but fails to bring anything fresh to the table. Perfectly skippable.

The second one, Wasurenagumo, on the other hand, is a completely different matter. It's yet another take on the "cute eldritch abomination" meme that's been going strong recently with the likes of Nyarko-san, but way better at striking the right balance between charming and --ing creepy. It's a very effective tale, this, and especially well served by direction and animation that sells the big moments perfectly.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
The second one, Wasurenagumo, on the other hand, is a completely different matter. It's yet another take on the "cute eldritch abomination" meme that's been going strong recently with the likes of Nyarko-san, but way better at striking the right balance between charming and --ing creepy. It's a very effective tale, this, and especially well served by direction and animation that sells the big moments perfectly.
Thanks for pointing it out. It was a pretty enjoyable take on the 'monster girl' trope. Especially that final scene.

Oh yes, That was a wonderfully intense episode.

Also, I just realized Nyaruko may have referenced Unit 731, unless there's some Mythos connection to the number 731 that I'm unaware of.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Mouretsu Pirates #21 was so good. I was worried when I heard that the last part of the show was going to go some anime-only story arcs, but it seems to have resulted in a vast improvement in pacing and cool stunts. I think that may have been the best episode of the series. It certainly may have the best one-liners.

"This isn't flying, we just haven't fallen yet!"

"Every sailor should know how!"

KoboldLord

Validated User
If anybody hears that the young writer for Wasurenagumo ends up working in a major role on any projects the next couple years, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Because I'd like some more of that.

Top Bottom