• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2012

SunnyD

Banned
So Accel World.

This childhood friend of MC.

She's cool.

She doesn't know MC hates himself, but she knows he likes sandwiches.

So she makes him some sandwiches.

She makes him a hundred sandwiches.

Spoiler: Show
;_;

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
I get the feeling that the whole galactic cop bit was made up by Nyaruko. I thought the show was fun, but worked better as shorts. I do wonder how well known the Call of Cthulhu RPG is in Japan given all the references it got in that episode.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dusk Maiden x Amnesia has shot up near the top of my watch list. the opening gag was a bit too long, but it was very well done. My only complaint is that Teiichi has a somewhat annoying voice.

finally got round to watching Lupin which I hadn't for some reason; what can I say except "awesome". best anime I've seen since... /thinks... Madoka, probably (although in a completely different way). Maybe even better than that.

I didn't find Upotte particularly sanity destroying, merely skeevy and boring. (people have short memories - there's much worse series out there)

Nyarlko threw away everything that was amusing about the original concept. the only good thing about it is that it taught me a new kanji, so there's that.

Nazo no Kanojo X: didn't bother. i've read enough of the manga to know that the drool thing will eventually wear me down. buckets of it.
Spoiler: Show
telepathic drool, at that

I get the feeling that the whole galactic cop bit was made up by Nyaruko. I thought the show was fun, but worked better as shorts. I do wonder how well known the Call of Cthulhu RPG is in Japan given all the references it got in that episode.
It's one of the more popular tabletop RPGs in Japan, according to /tg/ anyways. Up there with Sword World, D&D and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay apparently.

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nyarko-san is a rather sanity-blasting show... which I find oddly appropriate. There's a thread right now asking what Lovecraft would do if he were still alive. This might not be too far off the mark actually. ;)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jormungand
(12 episodes + 12 more episodes this Fall)

What's it about ?

Psychotic arm dealers are COOL.

Characters

Jonah, child soldier from whateverland. Presumably he's got quite some backstory, but this first episode doesn't care to enlighten us much yet. Having lost his family to the pointlessness of war, he obviously hates weapons, and thus arm dealers. But to do anything about it, he needs weapons. Hence why he's now in the employ of...

Koko, head of a tight-knit arms-dealing group. The joke here is that half the time, she behaves like most other Shizuka Itou characters : constant flirting, childish temper tantrums... It's just that in this context, it makes her even more terrifying. Especially when she suddenly drops back to "pro" mode in mid-sentence.

There are eight other members in the unit, but there's no time for them to get too much development yet. there's the prettyboy, the seasoned old soldier, the token other girl who's a bit too protective of Koko, the guy in a suit and glasses that can't be as innocent as he looks... Presumably we'll get to know them better in the next 23 episodes.

Production Values

Impressive. This has the best car chase I've seen in a while, for example. And Koko wouldn't work as well without the care applied to her body language and crazy faces.

Also, Taku Iwasaki signs the soundtrack. It's not his flashiest, but It does become more and more catchy as the action sequences gather momentum. (Also, I laughed out loud at the track playing during the next-episode preview. Perfect choice.)

Overall Impression

Hello, Black Lagoon clone ! Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind. It certainly manages to catch the right vibe, balancing charismatic psychotic characters, dynamic action sequences and discussions of existentialism quite well.

There's one little problem, though : this first episode features two different jobs, and they both suffer from the small screentime they get. The first one has muddled stakes (it's not immediately clear what our team is trying to achieve), and the second has them pulling a plan so straightforward it makes their opponent look like an idiot.

But that's a minor problem ; the goal here was to sell us on the premise and the protagonists. Mission accomplished.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
I believe that this is actually more faithful to the novels.. which are explicitly supposed to be a parody of both Cthulhu and the genre.

blaster219

Validated User
Jormungand
(12 episodes + 12 more episodes this Fall)
This on is probably going to be a keeper for me. The only other two new series that seemed vaguely interesting were Ozma and SS-Omega. But this one just hit quite a few buttons for me. Plus, I'm not sure whether I was supposed to shiver or go aah when Jonha caught that stuffed toy from the exploding car and smiled and chuckled. Which was pretty much the only instance of strong emotion he displayed.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
I rather like gag comedy shows, which is probably why I liked Sengoku Collection a lot more then Jhiday did. I mean yes, it's cliche in a lot of ways, but I laughed/chuckled through much of it. That it was relatively light on the fanservice helped. Liked Nyarko, although that was superior. Nevermind I like just how...cheerfully violent she was. That scene where she was beating a Nightgaunt to death with a rock? :D

Mysterious Girlfriend X: I wanted to like it, I really did. It had many of the things I like. Quirky 'theme', interesting characters, off beat humor. But I just cant get past that entire drool thing.

Upotte: Not that I'm likely to change anyone's mind here, but the concept of the thing made me check out the manga when I first heard about it. If the anime follows the manga, 90% of the teacher/innuendo was in that first episode, and the teacher's mostly a cameo from that point on. The rest of it's a wierd mix of slice of life moe and girls trying to shoot each other in wargames. (which has its own disturbing connotations, granted, even with 'You wont die, even if shot' commentary)

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Upotte: Not that I'm likely to change anyone's mind here, but the concept of the thing made me check out the manga when I first heard about it. If the anime follows the manga, 90% of the teacher/innuendo was in that first episode, and the teacher's mostly a cameo from that point on. The rest of it's a wierd mix of slice of life moe and girls trying to shoot each other in wargames. (which has its own disturbing connotations, granted, even with 'You wont die, even if shot' commentary)
So can they, like, actually physically morph into guns? Like a transformer or something? Or is "being a gun" more a matter of being able to pull a gun of their type out of nowhere on any occasion? If it gets taken away from them or damaged, are they hurt?

I'm morbidly curious what the rules are to this whole thing.

Top Bottom