• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2013

testuo01

Banned
My personal guess is that, halfway through Gargantia, the enemy is going to find the peaceful planet our protagonist is currently on.

Then all hell will break loose, and the rest of the show will have Saikano-level bodycounts.

...Honestly, the only show that I think I'd be watching this season is Attack on Titan. Gargantia seems good, too, but the rest really aren't holding my interest.

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I read some of the manga, though only a volume or so was translated. I remember it being decent enough, which makes it odd how bland the anime is.
I do kind of want to know why the city is infested by giant bugs. So I might give it a couple more episodes.

Rabbit

Validated User
My personal guess is that, halfway through Gargantia, the enemy is going to find the peaceful planet our protagonist is currently on.

Then all hell will break loose, and the rest of the show will have Saikano-level bodycounts.
While I think that likely I cant see how that can happen and have a good outcome. Usually in a "combat mecha against the aliens" story the hero has a number of advantages.

1) Comrades and other Mechs
2) A team to repair battle damage
3) An army/navy/airforce that for no good reason sacrifices itself against the aliens to buy him time, even though it's shown again and again that this is utterly pointless.
4) He usually has a "God" mech that's either a prototype with unmapped potential or a model known to be special.

I dont see that our hero has any of these advantages. He has a stock mech he cant get repaired locally and which we have seen the enemy destroy in large numbers. The locals cant really full the role of even suicidal expendable military types. If the aliens come, it will be bad.

testuo01

Banned
If the aliens come, it will be bad.
That's kind of what I meant. In Saikano, the entire human race died.

Spoiler: Show
Also, have you seen Episode 2? The protagonist doesn't shy from killing, which is a mark in his favor - His machine went through the pirate fleet like a hot knife through butter.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's Tuesday, and for some reason this means we get a deluge of shorts. (Okay, the first one actually airs on Sundays, but it took a bit to get fansubbed).

Bloodtype-kun (Kitsuekigata-kun) is built around the stereotyped personalities that are associated with the various bloodtypes. I might get more out of it if I actually was familiar with them, but it's actually somewhat fun even for the uninitiated, in part thanks to a very strong cast who could make the phonebook entertaining. (Jun Fukuyama, Akira Ishida AND Yuuichi Nakamura ? For THIS ?)

AIURA illustrates the perils of doing a very relaxed, well-animated slice-of-life show taking a lot of time to enjoy the little things of life... because in three minutes, it doesn't even get close to any kind of point. The characters are reasonably fun to follow, but this is completely the wrong format for this. It's just intensely frustrating.

Sparrow Hotel is the complete opposite, packing tons of jokes in its short running time... except barely any of them are actually funny. And this looks like complete crap, with a horrible character design for its lead character, and barely deserved to be called "animated" at all.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bloodtype-kun (Kitsuekigata-kun) is built around the stereotyped personalities that are associated with the various bloodtypes. I might get more out of it if I actually was familiar with them, but it's actually somewhat fun even for the uninitiated, in part thanks to a very strong cast who could make the phonebook entertaining. (Jun Fukuyama, Akira Ishida AND Yuuichi Nakamura ? For THIS ?)
ugh. bloodtype stereotyping is so intensely stupid I can't bring myself to enjoy this. Not just stupid because it's baseless, but people with the "wrong" bloodtype have been discriminated against in job interviews, it can affect people's schooling, and so on. Bah, a pox on it and anything that feeds it.

AIURA illustrates the perils of doing a very relaxed, well-animated slice-of-life show taking a lot of time to enjoy the little things of life... because in three minutes, it doesn't even get close to any kind of point. The characters are reasonably fun to follow, but this is completely the wrong format for this. It's just intensely frustrating.
I know what you mean. The OP was the best bit. Which is handy, because it made up 1/4 of the episode.

Sparrow Hotel is the complete opposite, packing tons of jokes in its short running time... except barely any of them are actually funny. And this looks like complete crap, with a horrible character design for its lead character, and barely deserved to be called "animated" at all.
it looks like an anime from 30 years ago. and not in a good way.

Rabbit

Validated User
He's not wearing a plug suit, he seems to be wearing a lightly armored space suit with limited independent life support (since he opens the visor to save his air.) This makes sense given the possibility the pilot capsule might get damaged in a fight. My guess is that the suit is at least partially power armor since it would be useful for him to be able to move if damage effects the inertial compensation.
I take this back. Now I've had a better look at the production designs it looks like he's wearing something more closely akin to a skinsuit style spacesuit. I'm leaning towards the idea he may be part of a genetically engineered warrior caste.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
It certainly was pretty. It did feel like they just cut off a normal show at 4 minutes though.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I take this back. Now I've had a better look at the production designs it looks like he's wearing something more closely akin to a skinsuit style spacesuit. I'm leaning towards the idea he may be part of a genetically engineered warrior caste.
like i said upthread: if you go through multiple generations of "16 years military service before you can reproduce", you may not need genetic engineering.

the other thing i noticed, on a re-watch, his skin's very pale. Which makes sense - he's probably never been under unfiltered sunlight.

Top Bottom