• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2013

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not going to bother doing a full review for Yuyushiki, a 4-panel gag manga adaptation following three high-school girls whose name start with "Yu..." (yes, that's the entire premise). It's very vaguely funny if you squint, the animation budget is more than spartan, and it's so generic and unremarkable on every level that I just can't muster the will to write any more about it.

Rainfall

Validated User
like i said upthread: if you go through multiple generations of "16 years military service before you can reproduce", you may not need genetic engineering.
Doupt it, that would be mostly selecting for ability to survive long wars in a mech and sleep a lot. With gravity control you don't even need to be able to lift your own body weight to be a good mech pilot, especially considering they never venture outside of a space habitat.

the other thing i noticed, on a re-watch, his skin's very pale. Which makes sense - he's probably never been under unfiltered sunlight.
Heck, he's never been outside!

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I'm not going to bother doing a full review for Yuyushiki, a 4-panel gag manga adaptation following three high-school girls whose name start with "Yu..." (yes, that's the entire premise). It's very vaguely funny if you squint, the animation budget is more than spartan, and it's so generic and unremarkable on every level that I just can't muster the will to write any more about it.
As I said in the other thread..after watching both GJ-bu and Student Councils Discretion this past season, I'm thinking I might need a break from comedic shows about school clubs dominated by girls where nothing happens. Of course if it had the art style of AIURA I think I'd feel a bit different.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Doupt it, that would be mostly selecting for ability to survive long wars in a mech and sleep a lot. With gravity control you don't even need to be able to lift your own body weight to be a good mech pilot, especially considering they never venture outside of a space habitat.
well, you could handwave it either way, but it still has manual controls; I would bet space battles require physical fitness, endurance and coordination - but not brute strength I grant you. Not sure how much carrying the girl around implies increased strength or whether it's dramatic license; I guess if he does turn out to be for reals stronger than baseline that point towards genetic engineering.

Heck, he's never been outside!
I imagine he's been in space, or in domed habitats or whatnot, but they'd view UV as dangerous radiation either way and I would expect it to be filtered out (his suit does have a yellow visor after all).

Here, I wonder if he's gonna get a tan chilling out on their ship? that would be a neat bit of attention to detail.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
ugh. bloodtype stereotyping is so intensely stupid I can't bring myself to enjoy this. Not just stupid because it's baseless, but people with the "wrong" bloodtype have been discriminated against in job interviews, it can affect people's schooling, and so on. Bah, a pox on it and anything that feeds it.
What, seriously?

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Something else about Gargantia. Did you notice that in the first scene the pilot has some kind of horn-shaped object floating loose around the cockpit? He tucks it into his pocket, and I think we see him handling it later as well. It doesn't look like a standard piece of equipment.

I am guessing that we will eventually get a flashback that shows he had some kind of encounter pre-Earth that got him this souvenier and possibly that got him his slightly cynical atitude towards achieving limited citizenship. Something that already distinguished him from all the other pilots.

Rainfall

Validated User
Something else about Gargantia. Did you notice that in the first scene the pilot has some kind of horn-shaped object floating loose around the cockpit? He tucks it into his pocket, and I think we see him handling it later as well. It doesn't look like a standard piece of equipment.

I am guessing that we will eventually get a flashback that shows he had some kind of encounter pre-Earth that got him this souvenier and possibly that got him his slightly cynical atitude towards achieving limited citizenship. Something that already distinguished him from all the other pilots.
We see him handling it in the second episode as well, and he seems to have more than one. Very interesting.

It's pretty cool, the show seems to be an alien contact scenario, except both sides are human.

NPC New World Order

Grand Moff
Validated User
Isn't it a alien tooth that was broken off on his mecha - it's not clear until he picks up the second one when he gets out on earth, but after he grabbed the second one, I figured that's what the first one was, too.

Top Bottom