• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2013

Rabbit

Validated User
Wasn't there an anime with pretty much already? Full Metal Panic I think it was called. And it was a lot of fun!
Haven't watched it but the synopsis makes it clear the protagonist is a good guy, undercover government agent type. My thought is that these four would definitely be bad guys and able to use bad guy tactics, maybe even kill, it you push them that far. The kind of petty tyrants and bullies that commonly torment protagonists in highschool anime are only nasty in their own setting, compared with real trained and seriously equipped villains they would be seriously outclassed.

Rabbit

Validated User
Not sure what to think of Valvrave, except for WTF at the end. It felt a bit rushed, and what's with governments building top-secret labs underneath schools?? Well, I'm intrigued enough to tune in for the next episode.
Yeah that end sequence is seriously messed up, makes you wonder what exactly is going on?

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah that end sequence is seriously messed up, makes you wonder what exactly is going on?
Uh ? I thought it made perfect sense ; it's the logical conclusion of everything that happened in the episode.
Spoiler: Show
Seriously, did nobody see that one coming after the "Do you want to stop being human ?" disclaimer in the mecha booting up sequence ?

KainG

Retired User
Uh ? I thought it made perfect sense ; it's the logical conclusion of everything that happened in the episode.
Seriously, did nobody see that one coming after the "Do you want to stop being human ?" disclaimer in the mecha booting up sequence ?
Heh, yeah, but I thought it was going for something more philosophical, not
full-on vampirism

Also, even in the future, even for giant mechs, no one reads the EULA. :D

Unseenlibrarian

Definitely NOT a Monkey.
Validated User
I had been spoiled just enough to expect

Vampires, but not where or when, or who, and when I saw that the mecha boot up process left the hero with a bloody collar, well...(Seriously, the harness that hooks around his neck is basically a giant pair of fangs.)

Rabbit

Validated User

No I got that, it's pretty obvious. My question was more like how/why would you build a mecha that way? It's an odd mismatch of genres and I really want to know the in series reason why that came about.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
Not sure what to think of Valvrave, except for WTF at the end. It felt a bit rushed, and what's with governments building top-secret labs underneath schools??
Well, it worked in Infinite Ryvius. Or got hundreds of people killed, most of them children, I can never remember which.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The first episode of Railgun S felt very comfortable, stepping back into the old routine without missing a step. It does seem very newbie-unfriendly, but as someone who just rewatched the original series I don't care. I wasn't exactly expecting to see any of the level-5 espers besides Mikoto and Accelerator, so colour me pleasantly surprised by the introduction of #5 (whose powers are creepy and scary as heck) ; she looks like an interesting match against our heroines...

And now for the last remaining show of the season (asides from a few kids' shows that don't look like they're gonna be subbed anytime soon)...

The Pervert Prince and the Stony Cat (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

High school romantic comedy.

Characters

Yokoudera, our perverted protagonist. The kind of guy who joins the track & field club just so that he can have an excuse to squat up and down in front of the swimming pool's window. The club president mistakes it as dedication to the club, and names him her successor ; he'd like to refuse, but couldn't find the nerve to. That night, he makes an offering to the Stony Cat, which unexpectedly ends up working : he doesn't have any inhibitions anymore. Considering his filthy mind, that's not a good thing ; he's quickly dubbed the "Pervert Prince" across all campus.

Azusa, a high-class student at his school who inherited his inhibitions : she's now unable to publicly speak her mind regarding his antics for fear of losing face. Hopefully he can convince her to give them back ? (I'm not sure him grovelling like a dog is going to do the job, though.)

Tsukiko, a girl who made a wish to show less emotions on her face at the same time ; she's now utterly unable to express anything. Her main purpose, beyond probable love interest, is to provide tons and tons of exposition.

Production Values

Utterly unremarkable.

Overall Impression

It's not a real anime season without a tiresome embarrassment "comedy" is it ? While there are some decent jokes here and there, this is just painful to watch, with every plot twist making the characters more unlikeable and the show less entertaining.

Avoid.

-----------------------

So, a little recap of the season so far :

Outstanding
Gargantia on the Verdurious Planet
Enjoyable
Karneval - second episode was a noticeable step down, though
Part-Timer Demon-King - the joke never stops being funny, especially as the characters are still taking their situation seriously
Red Data Girl - this high school is turning out to be quite an interesting setting after all
Majestic Prince - brainless fun
Flowers of Evil - teenagers being gross and creepy is ART !
Attack on Titan
+ Railgun S
+ Azazel-san Z
On the Fence
Yahari Love Comedy whatever - what is it with chuunibyou being everywhere these days ? The only thing this show has going for it is some very nasty one-liners
Photo Kano - the pervert show, indeed
Arata Kangatari
Valvrave the Liberator
AIURA
Bloodtype-kun
Dropped
Crime Edge
Devil Survivor 2 - just too bland and dull
OreImo 2 - I remember a time when I actually liked Kyousuke. Who's this pod person ?
Muromi-san - too hit-and-miss
Date A Live
Leviathan
Mushibugyou
Pervert Prince
Sparrow's Hotel

Not a bad season, all told. Especially with noitaminA taking the quarter off.

Top Bottom