• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Spring 2013

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
The Severing Crime Edge (Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge)
(13 episodes)

By the way, I hope the romance is meant to look creepy as heck, because otherwise this is giving completely the wrong impression.
Every relationship in this show is creepy. They're often adorably creepy, but still creepy. I like it - "Aww, lookit the adorbs serial killers sublimating their killing urges" is something I said out loud once while reading the manga.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

Demons start appearing in downtown Tokyo. Fortunately, there's an app for that.

Adapted from a DS strategy-RPG. From what I gather, the various games in the "Devil Survivor" series are mostly unrelated plotwise (much like the "Persona" games), which is why adapting the second game makes any sense.

Characters

Hibiki, our protagonist. He's the cold, emotionally-detached type, and very good at processing the plot. Which comes really handy here.

Daichi, his wacky best pal. He hooks them up on a bizarre cellphone app that predicts their imminent death in the very subway station they are currently in... but offers them a second chance at life. They just have to fight off some demons with whatever their phone app can summon.

Nitta, a random girl in the same high school that Daichi is a bit infatuated with, happens to be in the same place at the same time, and also got the app. She's a bit damsel-in-distress-y so far.

Emergency services have no idea what the heck. Fortunately, the Meteorology Agency (no, seriously) quickly take over the scene, having predicted the whole thing for thousands of years. They're especially impressed by the super-demon Hibiki can somehow summon.

Hovering on the fringes of the plot, there's a white-haired pretty boy (tm) who looks very interested in the whole thing.

Production Values

Decent, I guess ? It looks very generic, though, and the very basic designs for those first few demons don't help. The ED sequence rocks, though.

Overall Impression

I am not impressed. The obvious comparison point is Persona 4, what with being adapted from a game from the same company, and having the same director. And however flawed that one was, this is noticeably worse. It just lacks spark ; the plot is nothing new and really piles on the clichés, the dialogue isn't much good, and the atmosphere doesn't work.

Unless you're a fan of the games, I have trouble recommending this one.

-----------------------

Majestic Prince (Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince)
(24 episodes)

What's it about ?

Space mecha.

Characters

Our heroes are a team of mecha pilot trainees, known as the "Rabbit Team", but mostly as the "Fail Five", as they just don't work well together. There's Asagi the aloof ace who runs into battle without thinking, Ataru the nerdy gunner, Tamaki the childish and boy-crazy point-girl, Key the jaded analytical girl, and Izuru the "leader" (whom nobody acknowledges as such).

Lt Suzukaze, their training officer, isn't the last one to constantly remind them that they're crap. So she's very surprised to learn the brass want them to immediately go on the frontlines with cutting-edge mecha to save their assieged forces from the dastardly baddies.

The catch is that those experimental mecha are very unstable, and they only need to distract the enemy for half an hour so that everyone can be evacuated. Hence why they send disposable newbies.

What nobody expected is that (1) Izuru would decide to play hero to save all those civilians the brass "accidentally" forgot to mention wouldn't be evacuated, and (2) that he'd actually pull it off, frightening the aliens enough to force their retreat.

Yay ?

Production Values

Very impressive. It's got tons of budget for the mecha battles, and it shows (although the CG is very obvious).

I also really like the recurring narrative device of quickly sliding the camera horizontally to catch each of the five's reaction/quip on whatever is happening. It's funny and the animators vary the facial expressions enough to make it work.

Overall Impression

Well, this was fun. It's also completely empty of substance, with everyone being depicted with broad strokes verging on caricature. But it does establish its premise and characters properly, so there's that.

I'm however mildly concerned by how it tells us rather than really shows us how the 5 really suck, especially as they seem surprisingly competent for their first real battle.

Still, it's a decent effort, and unapologetic about what it is. As popcorn entertainment, it works.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
The Severing Crime Edge (Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge)
(13 episodes)

What did I think of it ?

Wut.
I found the two kids kind of cute, and I have sympathy for the hair fetish (though not the cutting aspect), but really I was just bored. Yes kid you are the one guy who was able to cut her magically regenerating hair. But really I wasn't grabbed by any of the questions it was trying to get me to want to know. Well I guess aside from why the girl has magical hair. Dropped.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Validated User
DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION
(13 episodes)

Overall Impression

I am not impressed. The obvious comparison point is Persona 4, what with being adapted from a game from the same company, and having the same director. And however flawed that one was, this is noticeably worse. It just lacks spark ; the plot is nothing new and really piles on the clichés, the dialogue isn't much good, and the atmosphere doesn't work.

Unless you're a fan of the games, I have trouble recommending this one.
It looks very washed out and pale and the character designs are extremely generic. There also seems to be a huge cast, reminding me a lot of TBOOM (though TBOOM looks like a masterwork by comparison.) I'm wondering if there is a death match element involved?

-----------------------

Majestic Prince (Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince)
(24 episodes)

Well, this was fun. It's also completely empty of substance, with everyone being depicted with broad strokes verging on caricature. But it does establish its premise and characters properly, so there's that.
The character design is very poor. I understand that it's stylized and having seen the blandness of Devil Survivor you can tell these characters had thought put into them. The problem is that they are not very attractive, they have a crude cartoonyness that jars badly with the rest of the setting. Going from training to first successful mission in one episode is pushing it and leaves no time for character development. Indeed it makes last season's Total Eclipse look good and seem better paced. Be interesting to see if they can make these rabbits engaging.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
It looks very washed out and pale and the character designs are extremely generic. There also seems to be a huge cast, reminding me a lot of TBOOM (though TBOOM looks like a masterwork by comparison.) I'm wondering if there is a death match element involved?
No, the characters form a team, it's just impossible to keep all thirteen team members alive through the eight-day-long game.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You mean BTOOOM! ?

Devil Survivor 2 would have to be pretty damned bad to be as insulting as that show.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Insulting? I don't know about that. I was mainly commenting on character design and artwork.
Ah. Well, it did have some varied character designs, I suppose, though...ugh. That show. Man.

Anyway, I figure at least the first few episodes of Devil Survivor 2 might be worth a look, so I'll wait. I find that, for some reason, first episodes are often a pretty terrible indicator of what the rest of the show will be like (even though that clearly shouldn't be the case).

Top Bottom