• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Review] New anime, Spring 2014

Rainfall

Validated User
Overall Impression

While I do have so mild interest in where the fantasy politics are going (it looks a bit too black & white so far, but let's give it some time), the selling point here is Nike, who's a very engaging protagonist. She carries the show here, and has the shoulders for it. She's got agency (despite the premise), heart, and the bouts of selfishness and violence that round her out as a person. The show as a whole features some decent slapstick, although the occasional fourth-wall breaking feels a bit forced at times.

Still, there aren't many shows featuring such a good female protagonist. That alone makes me want to stick with it at least for a while.
What's with all the fantasy politics shows all of a sudden? :p

Not that I mind, I love this stuff a whole darn lot. Especially when it's not taking itself too seriously. Nike is awesome, the lighthearted tone is fun, the art is nice. I think it's the first show I'm actually quite enthusiastic to see more of.

Seems the king will be an interesting guy too.

MadMac

Validated User
But Still the World is Beautiful is really the only new show that's grabbed me so far. Kawaii Hotel was reasonably decent, but I'm a long way from sold so far.

One Week Friends has an interesting hook and the art is nice but the show itself isn't all that interesting to watch. Most everything else I either didn't like or it's really not my thing. The two Generic Magic High School LN adaptions this season weren't even bad in an entertaining way, just boring as hell.

At least I have Jojo, and there is another week to go, so we'll see.

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
"O-oF course I know my multiplication tables... I just don't sit at them often." :D

She transfered into an elite school with crazy transfer exams without knowing multiplication tables. Ryota himself is more than a little suspect despite being the POV character, his flashbacks have a few holes themselves...
Multiplication Tables are just a convenient way of teaching and remembering basic products. It's not out of the question for somebody who hasn't had a traditional education (say, being raised in a lab by mad scientists) could do learn to do multiplication without memorizing tables.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
Multiplication Tables are just a convenient way of teaching and remembering basic products. It's not out of the question for somebody who hasn't had a traditional education (say, being raised in a lab by mad scientists) could do learn to do multiplication without memorizing tables.
It's also clear though that she didn't. In one sub she thinks times tables are something you sit at in another she thinks they're something you eat (or possibly a pill you take, confusing "table" with "tablet" in any case she claims to not like the taste of times tables). In either sub she's confused by the entire concept of multiplication. She mentions having run away from the lab maybe she did that before they got to math.

Jhiday said:
Brynhildr in the Darkness (Gokukoku no Brynhildr)
(13 episodes)

<SNIP>

Production Values

This series is the demonstration of the power of a great OP sequence. Yes, it's got some nice music (if you enjoy dubstep), but the key here are the well-designed visuals implying that Neko and her friends are reanimated corpses.
There's also an interesting bit at the start of the OP where they respond to the rising sun as if they're plants. And the end credits made me realize something, we never see the blond girl standing. In the end credits our male lead is carrying her on his back, her arms are over his shoulders but they're hanging limp. I think she's quadriplegic.

Last edited:

arneanka

Validated User
Just as a warning for anyone who got interested in Brynhildr after that episode summary: if the show follows the manga at all, it's going to get very dark. Like Elfen Lied levels of dark. Don't get into it if that's not your thing or you might get traumatised.
That really goes without saying. It's by the same guy, Lynn Okamoto, ie
Spoiler: Show
brutal, bleak and bloody.

q_3

Ge.
Validated User
Still, the World is Beautiful
Due to the vagaries of anime character design, I didn't realize that the king was meant to be quite so young until after watching the episode and reading up on the manga. Welp, there's one ED I'll be skipping every single time.

Last edited:

SolomonShort

Validated User
Just as a warning for anyone who got interested in Brynhildr after that episode summary: if the show follows the manga at all, it's going to get very dark. Like Elfen Lied levels of dark. Don't get into it if that's not your thing or you might get traumatised.
That really goes without saying. It's by the same guy, Lynn Okamoto, ie
Spoiler: Show
brutal, bleak and bloody.
I just wish someone had warned me of that before I started reading it.
I didn't actually start reading until after the initial warning quoted, & yeah, I've just dropped it after v04, & I'm really unsure I'll be able to continue with the anime.

Top Bottom