[In Which I Review] New anime, Spring 2014

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
QUICK CAPSULES !
Because I certainly don't want to spend any more time than strictly necessary covering the sea of mediocrity we got this Monday.

Hero Bank, Dragon Collection and Oreca Battle are all kids' shows bases on videogames (respectively for the 3DS, a social network, and arcades). All three of them feature an annoying redhead kid and his bland friends, fighting stuff with their collectible assets. (Hero Bank sets up some sort of permanent VR tournament, while the other two are the old "transported to another world" gimmick.)

Hero Bank is the least watchable of the three, partly because it's a full 22-minute show, but mostly because everyone is just so annoying.

Dragon Collection has a slightly less annoying protagonist, and his initial sense of wonder at being transported to a fantasy world is decently done, but the only reason it doesn't overstay its welcome is that it's only 11-minute long.

Oreca Battle at least seems to have fun with its weird monster design. (Flying octopi that rain tomatoes onto kids ? WTF ?) This one actually suffers from being a bit rushed at 11-minute-long, completely losing me with a journey to a fantasy world that seems to come from nowhere. Especially as it's way less interesting than the "monsters come alive out of this card game and run wild into our world" premise it'd been initially setting up.

So, yeah. Three show I'm thrice too old to watch, and I won't be bothering with.

The Comic Artist and Assistants (Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to) is a different deal altogether. Again it's a shorter format (11-minute-long), but the similarities end there. It adapts a comedy 4-panel manga, and manages to fit four sketches in its first episode. As the title lays out, it follows the hijinks of a quirky manga author, his assistant, and his editor. (More characters presumably coming, according to the OP & ED ; aside from the manga author, they're all female.)

The problem here is that this show's only joke is that the manga author is a pervert who sexually harasses his colleagues. And then makes puppy eyes for them to forgive him. It's endless variations about the same theme : he wants some reference of breasts being groped, he launches a debate about how much panties should be revealed, and he buys tons of female underwear, again for "reference". (You can guess what kind of manga he draws.)

Yeah, no thanks. The joke is already tired by the episode's end, I can't bear anymore of it.

MadMac

Validated User
QUICK CAPSULES !
Because I certainly don't want to spend any more time than strictly necessary covering the sea of mediocrity we got this Monday.
We appreciate your sacrifice.

Man, I'm so bummed with this season, especially when Fall/Winter were so good. I have to keep reminding myself that there's more stuff I might like at the end of this week.

Man, I'm so bummed with this season, especially when Fall/Winter were so good. I have to keep reminding myself that there's more stuff I might like at the end of this week.
Wow..this season is already ahead of the last two for me. Then again I hated last season, KlK was the only watchable thing..and honestly it wasn't _that_ good.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
The Irregular at Magic High School (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei)
(26 episodes)

What's it about ?

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the female uniforms (what are the colours supposed to be about ? Magic types ?), but they must be a PITA to animate and still look as good as this.
I saw someone postulate that some of it is unsubtly referring to the characters as Tatsuyas brides. Thats seemed to be really reaching though.

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Baby Steps
(25 episodes)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a tennis manga series.

Characters

Eiichirou, our protagonist. Nicknamed "A-chan" for his consistently perfect grades. He has high-level OCD, and his cleanly-written, perfectly-designed notes are admired by the whole class. He's perfectly okay with lending them out freely (he has spares !), too. See, making all those is integral to his learning process ; that's the way he can cope with his studies.
By the end of the episode I was wishing he hadn't spent quite so much time obsessively staring at Natsu. I mean, seriously, it was beginning to get downright creepy.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User

Yeah. Ditto. This seems like the worst season to me since I started watching anime properly about 18 months ago.

MadMac

Validated User
Wow..this season is already ahead of the last two for me. Then again I hated last season, KlK was the only watchable thing..and honestly it wasn't _that_ good.
Different strokes I guess, but seriously Fall gave me: Kill la Kill, Kyousougiga, Golden Time, Magi, the brilliant second half of Monogatari Season 2 and the first halves of Samurai Flamenco/Nagi No Asakura. (Lost touch with those two after the first cour, but I enjoyed them up to that point.)

Winter I got almost everything I was watching continued plus Zvezda, D-Frag, Noragami, Space Dandy, and Seki-kun. I was watching and enjoying more stuff the last two seasons then I have in ages.

So far this season I have...Jojo, Still the World is Beautiful, and maybe Kawaii Hotel. Out of what hasn't aired yet I've got my eye on Kenichi, Soul Eater Spinoff, (maybe) No Game No Life, Coffin Princess, Is this Order a Rabbit?, Knights of Sidonia, and those five Monogatari episodes. I fully expect at least half of them will suck.

Last edited:

Esckey

Validated User
Only 3 shows have grabbed me, which is 3 more then the past 3 or 4 seasons have. Nothing from the past year has grabbed my attention and I got rather depressed and sad that every thing from the year previous to last year that I liked only received 1 season(or two in a couple of cases). Hopefully this season is different.

Top Bottom