[In Which I Review] New anime, Spring 2014

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Well Atelier games are rather atypical JRPG's - they're very easygoing and slice-of-life-y, and there isn't much tension or anything in them to begin. It kind of works alright for the games themselves but yeah, doesn't translate well to an anime, sadly.
You could do an interesting fantasy office/town life show with Escha and Logy, but you'd want to make substantial additions and changes, you can't do the level of story that suits a calendar-based logistics game straight.

(for the uninitiated, Atelier can be usefully understood as the cute-girls-doing-cute-things version of Ars Magica)

WTB Meruru-hime's Glorious Alchemical Revolution

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, quick question:

Hey Jhiday, what did you think of some of the second episodes, like with Beynhildr and others?
Here's how it's shaken out :

The Definites :

- Mekakucity Actors was completely different from the first episode, but still very good. Very abstract character piece, and I hope the actual plot gets going soon, but so far, so good.

- Knights of Sidonia remains quite cold, and has no clue how to do a cliffhanger, but there are enough intriguing S-F elements to keep me interested.

- Brynhildr in the Darkness is starting to show its pedigree (hello, gratuitous clothing damage !), but I'm still enjoying it a lot. I think it's the attention to detail : Neko's haphazard fugue is packed with small elements that amp up the verisimilitude.

- Nanana's Buried Treasure was a bit of a step down (a transvestite maid, really ?), but I quite enjoy the junior detective. (A second series where Kana Asumi's shtick doesn't make me gag. What is the world coming to ?)

- Still, the World is Beautiful seems to be going way faster than I'd thought, to the point that I'm wondering where it can go. But the Nike/Sun King dynamic works, and that's what really matters.

- The Irregular at High School is very, very slow, but it does have the occasional flashes of brilliance that make me keep watching.

(And of course, the sequels are an automatic watch : JoJo, Mushishi, Love Live!, Kindaichi Returns...
I'm also impressed by how entertaining the initial "Great Seiyaman" arc of the new Dragonball Kai has been so far. I'd never watched those parts of Z, and it's a reminder of how great Toriyama is at comedy.)

The Maybes :

- I'm still torn on Captain Earth. Clearly there's a ton of effort at play here, and I like how fast they got rid of the MIB conspiracy bullshit, but I'm not entirely sold on the main characters. (Well, aside from the young hacker, who's tons of fun.) And hopefully the conflict is going to become more interesting than "those weirdoes attack once every week".

- Riddle Story of Devil isn't high art, but there's plenty to stay entertained, at least on a per-episode basis. Let's hope it keeps that way.

- No Game No Life has had a fun duel, although the whole servitude deal rubbed me the wrong way. Its only saving grace was the immediate proof of the siblings' social disorders.

- Ping Pong was a notable improvement : I still don't give two shits about Smile, but that was a impressive character study for his coach, and the bizarre flashbacks are closer to what I expect out of Yuasa. Still on probation, though.

- One Week Friends surprised me by showing some notable progress for the characters ; it's way less of a tragedy than I was expecting. I'm not entirely sold, but I'm still watching.

- I'm catching up with the TV version of Broken Blade. So far, it's perfectly adequate fantasy mecha.

The Dropped :

- Kawai Complex and Is the Order a Rabbit? both lost me with their second episodes ; they just bored me.

- Ditto with Marvel Disk Wars - Avengers, which turned out to be way too slow for my tastes.

- I didn't care for the bizarre "stale harem parody"/"random tragedy" mix of If Her Flag Breaks, and stopped watching two weeks in.

- I kept with Baby Steps until the third episode, but I'm just not turned off by the tedious love triangle that's taking more and more screentime each week. No thanks.

- I lost patience with selector infected WIXOSS three weeks in ; there's still no plot in sight, the duels aren't very interesting, and there's only so far the atmosphere and Chinatsu Akasaki's scenery-chewing can carry the show.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
- I kept with Baby Steps until the third episode, but I'm just not turned off by the tedious love triangle that's taking more and more screentime each week. No thanks.
I've been reading the manga, and there is no love triangle in Baby Steps. It is all about the tennis from here on out.

Of course, having read the manga I'm now not going to bother with the anime because I think all the tennis strategy that makes up 90%+ of it would be pretty boring animated.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I've been reading the manga, and there is no love triangle in Baby Steps. It is all about the tennis from here on out.
Which is why I guess I'll be dropping it soon. The potential for a romance was the reason I tried it unlike the other sports anime of the season. It had been decent enough in that respect so far.

Esckey

Validated User
- Still, the World is Beautiful seems to be going way faster than I'd thought, to the point that I'm wondering where it can go. But the Nike/Sun King dynamic works, and that's what really matters.
I want to like this, I really really really really do but every time the Sun King's face comes up I want to punch him in his douchy little face.

Mejiro_Night

Validated User
I want to like this, I really really really really do but every time the Sun King's face comes up I want to punch him in his douchy little face.
eh, he's no Joffrey. Given that he seems to have conquered the known world at about the same time as conquering puberty, I think some smugness is allowed!

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
Which is why I guess I'll be dropping it soon. The potential for a romance was the reason I tried it unlike the other sports anime of the season. It had been decent enough in that respect so far.
It may be all about the tennis, but there is definitely a romance, even if it takes a while to develop. However, if you don't like sports series, this one won't be your cup of tea, because even though the romance exists, it is a minor aspect compared to the tennis.

Also, have you seen the third episode of No Game No Life? If yes, what did you think about it?

Top Bottom