[In Which I Review] New anime, Spring 2015

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Yeah, I haven't trimmed anything yet either (I know I said I was dropping Plastic Memories, but I think I'm gonna foolishly give it another episode and see how rough it is. I REALLY like the show, so i *want* to watch it.)

And yeah, I've found I have a handful of shows that I ended up pushing off until Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, because yeah, it's a deadzone right now.

And man, I don;t want to even think of how much I'm currently watching. Fortunately I have the time, but still. This season is ridiculous.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Yeah. Streaming makes it easier to spread stuff around: I've had a lot of clashes with LARPing, and being able to just watch it whenever I get time has been great... but nine shows? I don't think I can find time for nine shows a week period.
Well with 20 minute shows I can manage 10 a week fine, thats little more than 20 minutes a day. I can watch an episode or two when preparing or eating meals just fine, or travelling to or from work.

Littleredfox

Validated User
ViVid: I thought only 4* of 11 Numbers were jail. 4 are Nakajimas, and 3 joined the Saint Church.
That's correct. However Seine doesn't appear in the manga for Vivid for a while.

Epsiode 1 had the Nakajimas [Nove, Cinque, Wendy and Deici], plus Otto (who is either male or the Church allows crossdressing nuns) and Deed.

It also had Ixpellia. And thus requires Sound Stage X to know who she is and why Vivio is telling a girl in a coma about her week.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In the Strikers Manga Quatro was giving orders to ensure that Deed would be the only other Number to be certain.
Wait, didn't Jail's ultimate back-up plan require all of them to be female, anyway ?

(By the way, I've just started re-watching StrikerS, and wow the beginning is rough. The contrast with what A1Pictures is producing now is like night and day.)

--------------

... I've just noticed I forgot to include RIN-NE in my week-1 recap. That's how memorable it is. But hey, episode 2 was still kinda fun and had a hilarious guest spot from Satsuki Yukino, so I've yet to drop it.

Re-Kan & Ultimate Otaku Teacher weren't so lucky. The first is just kinda there. The second one turns out to be rubbing me the wrong way ; the show seems to actually embrace its protagonist's egotist philosophy and refuses to have him suffer any consequences for what he does. Given that I find his attitude repellent, there's just no way I can keep watching.

Blood Blockade Battlefront at least had a mostly intelligible plot for its second episode, and was all the better for it. Still not entirely sold, but it's getting there.

Gunslinger Stratos... wait, let me get the premise straight :
Spoiler: Show
the protagonists are fighting their doppelgangers from a parallel universe in 2015's Tokyo (thanks to convenient time-travel) because those jerkass crows hold hostage the only means to save humanity ?
This is both quite elaborate and the perfect excuse plot for a fighting game ; I can't help admiring the purity of it.

(I'm still in the process on catching up on everything else after being away this weekend.)

--------------

No full review for Saint Seiya : Soul of Gold. I'm not sure whether this is a proper sequel or just a side-story ; the premise is that a good chunk of the supprting cast sacrificed themselves in the Hades arc (which I haven't watched), and now at least some of them find themselves surprisingly not dead (or maybe undead), in Asgard of all places. And of course there's something nasty going on there.

This is a perfectly alright on all levels : it looks alright, it quickly establishes the premise and the first miniboss, and even takes the time to allude to the Lion Gold Saint's origin story as a stab to make him engaging as a protagonist. There's even a weird cliffhanger to make the viewer question what's really going on. Quite competent all around... It's just that unlike the Latin-American market who demands the franchise to be revived every few years, I have no particular nostalgia for Saint Seiya (easy "endless stair-climbing" jokes aside), so I don't particularly care about this project. Not for me, I guess.

--------------

Yamada & the Seven Witches (Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a comedy manga series, the first episode of which features a conspicuous lack of witches. Hm.
Apparently it also got a short-lived live-action TV adaptation back in 2013.

Characters

Yamada, our protagonist, is nearly the platonic ideal of the "delinquant" high-schooler : a barely-contained ball of anger who's rude, violent, and terrible in his studies. Fortunately, before he can get onto my nerves, he suddenly swaps bodies with...

Shiraishi, the best student in his class. Who doesn't have much of a clue how this happened either, but wants him to wait until after school for them to sort this out, as she can't afford to miss any more classes. So Yamada spends the rest of the day as her... and learns that she has more depth than the "boring honor student" he's always dismissed her as : he now sees the creepy harassment from some of the boys, the intense bullying by some of her female classmates, and the fact she has no friends whatsoever. And you can clearly see his own personal growth that comes with this nascent understanding. Also, he has to deal with the fact that Shiraishi refuses him to resort to his go-to answer to everything (i.e. violence), especially as he's still in her body.

Miyamura, the student council vice-president, who quickly guesses what's going on and seizes this opportunity to revive the Supernatural Studies Club (of which he was the only member left). Yamada & Shiraishi had already figured out they switched bodies whenever they kissed ; Miyamura is the one leading the experiments that led to the discovery that Yamada could apparently do it with anyone. (One guess how. Shiraishi was surprisingly enthusiastic at the prospect.) Anyway, this lets everyone have a room where they can discreetly swap bodies, provided they occasionally help the student council out.

As I wrote earlier, no witches in sight. The OP sequence goes out of its way to try and frame Shiraishi, the head bully, a tentative applicant to the club who shows up at the end, and four other girls as the titular seven witches, but that feels more symbolic than implying any actual witchcraft at play here. (And if they do turn out to be real witches, that'd be a really surprising twist.)

Production Values

Quite good. It's a show that relies on comedic timing and a good understanding of body language to sell its central concept, and it handles that well. The exaggerated way Yamada walks may be a bit too much, though.

Overall Impression

This is way better than I expected it to be. The core reason is that it spends very little time dwelling on the obvious jokes, and instead focuses on building everyone into stronger characters and finding fun ways for them to abuse the strange premise. That's quite refreshing, really.

It's also an impressive performence showcase. Admittedly, not really from Ryota Osaka ; his Shiraishi-as-Yamada is just kinda flat. But Saori Hayami really gets to stretch herself here ; her Yamada-as-Shiraishi is hilarious, either as a hoarse default-mode or as a parody of feminimity ; and even her normally flat Yamada can turn out to be surprisingly playful and fun. Between this and the 2:15-minute rant, I'm getting more and more appreciately of her range.

This show had me laughing non-stop nearly throughout its first episode. It must be doing something right. Anyway, I'm sure I'll keep watching it to the end. (And probably catch on that OVA episode that got released a few months ago.)

SolomonShort

Validated User
Gunslinger Stratos... wait, let me get the premise straight :
the protagonists are fighting their doppelgangers from a parallel universe in 2015's Tokyo (thanks to convenient time-travel) because those jerkass crows hold hostage the only means to save humanity ?
This is both quite elaborate and the perfect excuse plot for a fighting game ; I can't help admiring the purity of it.
responding to the spoiler...
Part of what I liked about this was that I thought "... and yet's no-one's going to call BS on this", then someone immediately did so.

Bafflement

Ruthless Sillographer
Validated User
Admittedly, not really from Ryota Osaka ; his Shiraishi-as-Yamada is just kinda flat.
I think that may be a little unfair on the VA - Shiraishi is intended to be a very reserved character. In any case, as someone who has read the manga to date, I found it a very entertaining episode.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
With this and the latest JoJo, I'm convinced that all birds are jerks.

I think that may be a little unfair on the VA - Shiraishi is intended to be a very reserved character.
It's more than that, though ; Shiraishi gets to sound much more interesting in the club room, for example. My take is that she's deliberately being even more reserved than usual while in Yamada's body, as an attempt not to make waves and stick out... which is of course dreadfully out of character for him, but then that's the joke.

Anyway, I certainly wasn't faulting the VA ; it's just that the script gives all the good lines and the fun stuff to Saori Hayami, and I'm impressed by how well she runs with it. It's a delight to listen to.

Top Bottom