• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In Which I Review] New anime, Spring 2015

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now for the final straggler... and there's no way in hell I'm doing a full review of Ninja Slayer From Animation.

The signs should have been obvious. It's adapted from an elaborate prank (an alleged "traduction" of an American novel, serialized on Twitter). Episodes are barely 12-minute-long, and broadcast only on NicoNico over in Japan. (They're in a goddarn 4/3 format !) They got the Inferno Cop guy to direct it. Of course it was going to turn out to be a no-budget, no-plot "gonzo parody".

The thing is, this is actually much worse than Inferno Cop. I may not have liked it, but that show had personality and embraced its own lunacy. It wasn't boring like this crap, and its shorter episode length made for much better pacing. Ninja Slayer, on the other hand, has an even thinner premise ("dude who hates ninjas gets reborn as a ninja who kills ninjas"), characters with no depth whatsoever, and just piles on cliché after cliché without ever doing anything interesting with them. It doesn't even have the guts of going all paperdoll-style like Inferno Cop, instead having random bursts of semi-decent animation that make it look even more boring.

The only kind thing I can say here is that it's got good colour design, and an okayish soundtrack. Everything else about it is pure, unadultered crap. Congratulations, Ninja Slayer ! You're easily the worst show this season, and by far.

Top Bottom