[In which I review] New anime, Summer 2012

Ikselam

now featuring transbearency
Validated User
The gimmick here is that he's an avid player of videogames set in the Sengoku era, and can thus predict just about everything that's going to happen. Well, aside from the fact that nearly every single major character is now a girl.
I call shenanigans. With that kind of background, he should be surprised if the warlords aren't cute girls.

KoboldLord

Validated User
Humanity Has Declined seems to be the standout show this season, at least for me. I love how the main character is utterly repugnant and without redeeming features, but still somehow fun to watch. At this point, I'd be surprised if I don't end up following it to the end.

I'm giving Binbougami, Natsuyuki, and Moyashimon my attention for now, but I'd be surprised if I'm still watching all three of them by this time next month. I have no enthusiasm for anything else, although I'll keep my ears open in case one of the others turns out to be better than I expected.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
- Muv Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse does indeed kill off every single cast member besides the protagonist in its second episode, to the surprise of absolutely nobody. But it does so in such an unpleasant and transparent way that it completely turned me off.

maybe I am a horrible person but I just couldn't stop laughing at the deaths, "I made it 8 minutes I am going to live"*DIE* "Don't worry they can't hit us at this angle"*DIE* People litterally called out theirown deaths.

jadarx

What time is it?!
Validated User
maybe I am a horrible person but I just couldn't stop laughing at the deaths, "I made it 8 minutes I am going to live"*DIE* "Don't worry they can't hit us at this angle"*DIE* People litterally called out theirown deaths.
The final death was amusing because it was so violent that they had to censor it so heavily on Crunchyroll to the point where I had no idea what actually happened.

SunnyD

Banned
Oh... oh god, Humanity Has Declined, sealed its position as AOTYAY.

Joshu seems like a well adjusted, swell guy, amirite guys?

the_redstar_swl

Banned
The final death was amusing because it was so violent that they had to censor it so heavily on Crunchyroll to the point where I had no idea what actually happened.
Spoiler: Show
Both of purple-hair's arms where broken, preventing her from committing suicide. Yui attempted to preform the coup de grace but missed. Then purple-hair got eaten alive.

Oh... oh god, Humanity Has Declined, sealed its position as AOTYAY.

Joshu seems like a well adjusted, swell guy, amirite guys?
It's fantastic.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Joshiraku
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

Five girls talking about random stuff. Adapted from a manga written by the author of Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei.

Characters

Hey, remember how the girls in SZS often devolved into a generic greek chorus sharing the same snarky personality ? It's even worse here, where I'm utterly at a loss to remember distinguishing character traits between the five main characters.

Nominally they're doing one-woman-show comedy routines, but the series focuses their idle talk in their break room.

Production Values

Unlike other adaptations of Kouji Kumeta's work, this is NOT animated by Shaft, but by JC Staff. As such, it's perfectly serviceable but utterly boringly directed.

Overall Impression

Duller than dull. Never mind all the barely translatable puns : most of the jokes are just very lame. Also, that they're already resorting to "why would anyone animate us ?" jokes in the first episode doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'll give it one more episode to click, but I'm not hopeful.

--------------------------------

And now, the final tally for the season (okay, there's still Ebiten next weekend, but I'm not even sure I'll be able to review it in a timely fashion) :

The good : Humanity Has Declined, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Moyashimon Returns
The watchable : Binbougami ga!, Tari Tari, Kokoro Connect, Sword Art Online
On thin ice : Utakoi, Campione, Love & Election & Chocolate, Joshiraku, Muv-Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse, Arcana Famiglia
Don't bother : Tanken Driland, Esthetica of a Rogue Hero, So, I Can't Play H!, One of Them is My Younger Sister!, Oda Nobuna's Ambition

That's not a very good season, is it ? Thank gods there's the top three shows not to make this one a wash.

--------------------------------

I'm bemused by the second episode of Tari Tari. Sure, they had made it clear that the deadline for the recital would be tight, but for it to already be done with so quickly ? What are they going to do for the remainder of the series ?

Shame on you, Hyouka, for streaming your bonus pool episode in eyebleed-o-vision with huge adverts for the DVD/BD release. Because you know it'll work.
(Haven't seen episode #12 yet.)

jadarx

What time is it?!
Validated User
Both of purple-hair's arms where broken, preventing her from committing suicide. Yui attempted to preform the coup de grace but missed. Then purple-hair got eaten alive.
No, that part I got. It's during the eating alive. I assume she's being torn apart, with the pan down to Yui's feet being her head or some body part flying there. Just on CR, half the screen was blacked out. Reaction shots to things we can't see.

Top Bottom